Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: UCLA Bruins

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 pm

You have a lot of catching up to do to get to DS's record number.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 07, 2012 5:53 pm

GoT has significantly departed from it's source material, to the point that I dont even think it would be considered spoiling to talk about the book

(which I wont do, I'm jus sayin')
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

T Dot O Dot wrote:GoT has significantly departed from it's source material, to the point that I dont even think it would be considered spoiling to talk about the book

(which I wont do, I'm jus sayin')
did women get naked in the GoT books like they do on the show? its like, HBO went and cast all the sexy British actresses they could find that were ready and willing to take all their clothes off whenever HBO wanted them to
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 07, 2012 6:00 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
did women get naked in the GoT books like they do on the show?
Nope
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 07, 2012 6:03 pm

and one of the biggest shockers for most fans was Loras & Renly's gay relationship

just about every reader I know was shocked, they were bromantical in the book but they never once got busy like they have in the show
Last edited by T Dot O Dot on Mon May 07, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 6:18 pm

I knew that Renly and Loras were gay before the show.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Mon May 07, 2012 6:24 pm

T Dot O Dot wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
did women get naked in the GoT books like they do on the show?
Nope
I figured the nudity alone was the reason why they cast Emilia Clarke. Such a deplorable actress would add almost nothing to any show other than the fact that she looks incredibly hot when she is totally naked
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 6:36 pm

[spoiler=Renly and Loras are gay, multiple book excerpts, probably not spoilers unless you are goddamned Sherlock Holmes]Catelyn notes in her POV that Loras spends his time during the feast joking with Loras Tyrell and ignoring his new bride Margaery Tyrell at the feast at Bitterbridge
-ACoK

"I got Margaery. You’ll be pleased to know she came to me a maid."-Renly to Stannis
"In your bed she’s like to die that way."-Stannis to Renly
-ACoK

Varys had suggested the woman to him; in former days, she had run Lord Renly’s household in the city, which had given her a great deal of practice at being blind, deaf and mute.
-ASoS

“Loras is valiant and handsome and we all love him dearly...but your [betrothed] will make a better husband.”-Garlan Tyrell to Sansa
-ASoS

“And it relieved him {Mace Tyrell} of the difficult task of trying to find lands and a bride for a third son, never easy, and doubly difficult in Ser Loras’s case.”-Littlefinger to Sansa
-ASoS

“When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.”-Loras to Tyrion on why he does not desire to marry
-ASoS

“There are those who say that Ser Loras is better than Leo Longthorn ever was"-Tyrion to Oberyn Martell
“Renly’s little rose? I doubt that.”-Oberyn to Tyrion
-ASoS

“Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I’ll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found.”-Jaime to Loras
-ASoS

“I buried him with mine own hands, at a place he showed me once when I was a squire at Storm’s End. No one shall ever find him there to disturb his rest.”-Loras to Jaime
-ASoS

“Loras, stay and help me pray. It’s been so long I’ve quite forgotten how.”-Renly to Loras
-ACoK

“We had...we had prayed together that night.”-Loras to Jaime
-ASoS[/spoiler]

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 6:47 pm

No chapters in the book were told from the point of view of Loras or Renly so of course there werent any actual scenes. I think that a lot of the new scenes in the show involve characters where these events could be presumed to have happened but were not witnessed by the PoV characters from who's persepective the books are told from, esp in season 1. There have been some flat out changes, sure, but I dont think any major events you could spoil for someone will not now come to pass in the show just as they did in the books.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 pm

I'd say 95% of readers had no clue they were gay, listing those quotes back-to-back-to-back is not the same as reading them singularly as they were written in the book with completely different context

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon May 07, 2012 6:50 pm

It's like religious people citing scripture.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm

aTm wrote:No chapters in the book were told from the point of view of Loras or Renly so of course there werent any actual scenes. I think that a lot of the new scenes in the show involve characters where these events could be presumed to have happened but were not witnessed by the PoV characters from who's persepective the books are told from, esp in season 1. There have been some flat out changes, sure, but I dont think any major events you could spoil for someone will not now come to pass in the show just as they did in the books.
a gay relationship in the book that flew over most of the reader's heads and was for the most part hidden & shrouded in innuendo was translated to HBO as one dude slurping all over another dude's junk

jus sayin'

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 6:59 pm

No doubt if Martin was writing every show, over half the scenes would just be images of meat and pies and pease and neeps and lemon pies and juices running down peoples chins and through their beards, and wine sloshing over cups and all other things culinary rather than images of sex, but thats not the case and I doubt it would play as well to an HBO audience.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon May 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Hargrand downed the ale in one greedy gulp and slammed the tankard down on the table. With an impish grin he rang the excess ale and flicked the bits of pheasant from his beard. Then it happened. Hargrand's eyes met Phillip's and locked. Tonight the Duke of Sorrow's Glen would be mounting Sir Phillip of Ardmore and making him squeal like he was singing the traditional madrigal at the Feast of Saint Shiredon's Day.

There. Everyone should be happy now.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Saint » Mon May 07, 2012 9:42 pm

does the Hound fuck Sansa in the book? does anyone? she keeps coming close to having her clothes torn asunder but no such luck so far.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm

[spoiler=Sansa]I'm not telling you, you goddamned pedo-perv![/spoiler]

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon May 07, 2012 10:13 pm

she's old enough, goatfucker

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 pm

The character is 14 and the actress was 15 when this season was filmed. To say nothing of TV issues, age of consent in NC is 16 pedo-perv.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 pm

I doubt anyone had a problem with 14 years olds fucking in those days. Hell, you were middle aged at 14...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon May 07, 2012 11:26 pm

"Basically Kirk goes to Starfleet Academy & consistently insubordinates his way to the rank of Captain."

I insubordinated my way to the rank of Goatpen captain...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.