Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: UCLA Bruins

Post by BigRedMan » Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 am

Okay so now I am finally caught up on Breaking Bad, watched Season 4 finale last night.

I can see why it won so many awards. Fantastic show.

Walter White has to be Top 5 most bad ass people on television ever.

Jessie has fallen out of my list of people I hate in shows. Terra from True Blood shoots back to #1. He finally started showing some testicular fortitude about midway through the season.

[spoiler=]Now with all that being said, Walter went off the deep end with Gus. I think if he just kept working and kept their mouths shut, they could have easily just kept doing what they do. However with the cartel being invovled, I guess it was just going to happen. I knew about 3 shows left they were somehow going to use the old man to solve their issues.

I still can't get over the fact that the last image is of the plant at Walter's house that was the source of the poison for that kid. It may not mean anything but if so, Walter is truly a cold calculating straight up badass.

Hopefully with the last season, Mike will be back cause I really liked his character a lot.[/spoiler]
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Wed May 02, 2012 12:34 pm

I haven't totally caught up on BB, but I do wonder how he can go 5 years and not be dead...considering how the show started.

maybe they address it as the show goes on, I don't know...but it's bothering me at the point I am
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Cletus » Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Bklyn wrote:I haven't totally caught up on BB, but I do wonder how he can go 5 years and not be dead...considering how the show started.

maybe they address it as the show goes on, I don't know...but it's bothering me at the point I am
It's only been a year to 18 months in the show's world.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed May 02, 2012 2:09 pm

Ah, explains a lot.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Wed May 02, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm not even sure if it's been that long. Skylar was pretty pregnant when it started and the baby was born at the end of the second season so that was three months, max. And, the baby still looks very young so I doubt it's any older than 6-9 months. So, anyway, that's why he's still OK. I suspect that will change.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu May 03, 2012 11:05 am

"completely agree. it's a thin line but the flawed, somewhat aged chicks are so much hotter than the centerfold 20-somethings. then again, when you get near a centerfold 20-something, you forget about that other shit."

I'm sure some of it has to do with the deep-seated (aye, molecular) knowledge that the only emotion you could possible elicit from a hot 20-something (if they could be bothered to feel anything about you at all) is vague disgust. And that's just considering it in the most general terms. Presented with the idea of actually having to rut with you would prompt immediate sobbing and projectile vomiting. But I do like your preemptive attempt of "Oh, I'm not interested in them...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu May 03, 2012 1:43 pm

"I'm not even sure if it's been that long. Skylar was pretty pregnant when it started and the baby was born at the end of the second season so that was three months, max. And, the baby still looks very young so I doubt it's any older than 6-9 months. So, anyway, that's why he's still OK. I suspect that will change."

When I first read that, I thought you were calculating the time on the show with reference to your own wife's pregnancy and your own child. I was like "the baby still looks pretty young? Don't you even know how old your own child is??" And then when you said "he's still OK", I again thought you were talking about your own kid, followed by the typically Cletean remark "but I suspect that will change." Then I went back and read it and realized you were talking about characters on the show. I liked it better the way I read it the first time...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun May 06, 2012 2:10 pm

National day of mourning: Goober has died.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun May 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Shit! Not Goob!
Let 'er Blow!

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm

[youtube]blQrIySidOA[/youtube]
Let 'er Blow!

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Pet Peeve :

Watching Avatar again and didn't get further than 20 minutes because some shyt just bothers me

I guess when I watched opening week in the theatre I was a little bedazzled by the cinematics, effects, CGI, etc...

so this guy is a trained US marine and the minute he gets into his Avatar body he dismisses the motor & sensory tests, rips off all the monitor patches, ignores every single order and he breaks out of the facility while the scientists try to sedate him and then all of a sudden everything's good?!?!?

how about pulling the plug on the project & putting his insubordinate ass back on the first shuttle back to earth? what trained & disciplined marine refuses every rule & order during a routine test procedure?

It's the same reason I couldn't stand the StarTrek reboot. Basically Kirk goes to Starfleet Academy & consistently insubordinates his way to the rank of Captain.

Weak Sauce

I just turned it off
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm

I only watched it one time because I enjoyed it the first time, but knew the story was so weak that the effects would not carry me on a second cup.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sun May 06, 2012 11:01 pm

James T Kirk does what he wants!
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 07, 2012 12:41 pm

GoT

Still loving it...but had a few problems (hidden if you did not see the ep yet):

[spoiler=]1. You see Snow hesitate about killing a woman, then they all bounce and leave him to his devices, with their lives (not just Snow's) on the line. The Commander has already called him stupid, but brave, then leaves him to do a stupid thing. I was willing to accept it if once he couldn't do it, then the woman was taken down by an arrow or something because the men were watching from a distance. Or, I thought, that Ghost the direwolf would've jumped out of nowhere and did the deed for him.

2. My wife ruined the stealing of the dragons, because she watched the episode at its first showing, and I watched after the NBA games were done. She was like "the stealing of the dragons was not in the book," before I started watching it. Thanks, Love.

3. Theon is walking dead. My wife also said that the book didn't have him sleep with Osha...that she was a warrior for him. I appreciated the nudity, though. I wouldn't have minded see what this North of the Wall sex looked like, actually. It knocked Theon the fuck out.[/spoiler]

Also, the letter that Arya had...was that left by Baelish for her, or just laying around willy nilly and meant for Tywin?

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 12:46 pm

I think it was meant for Tywin.

[spoiler=GoT]You see Snow hesitate about killing a woman, then they all bounce and leave him to his devices, with their lives (not just Snow's) on the line. The Commander has already called him stupid, but brave, then leaves him to do a stupid thing. I was willing to accept it if once he couldn't do it, then the woman was taken down by an arrow or something because the men were watching from a distance. Or, I thought, that Ghost the direwolf would've jumped out of nowhere and did the deed for him.

I think we need to wait and see on that one, I'll just say it was similarly done in the books, but after the point that they let him do it, things diverged wildly from the book's plot line, and an explanation that came in the book did not come in the show[/spoiler]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm

[spoiler=GoT, Click if you want to know how they resolved letting Jon Snow get rid of the girl in the books]In the books, they similarly pack up and let him go off and finish her off. But he realizes he can't do it, and lets her go. Jon catches up with the group, and they basically ask him how things went, and so he tells them he let her go, and the Halfhand just kinda laughs at him and says, thats fine, I only told you to "do what must be done" (there was no specific order to kill her) and that Halfhand also judges that she is now behind them, with no gear in the mountains and while she will probably survive, she wont be able to warn the wildlings before they get the info they need and start heading back anyway. As you can see this has taken a much different turn in the TV show[/spoiler]

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Ah, yeah, big departure. I wonder if they'll pull it back in line....or just take it a different way.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm

This is actually the only departure in the show that has me concerned about where its going, right now. Most of the scenes in that episode were new additions or significantly altered but I think most imporved the story for TV. This one, I am on a wait and see basis.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 pm

heard snl was pretty good with eli on there. drunk on my ass with the bed spinning sat night at a wedding reception so i missed it

6 doubles jack and splash of coke with a couple of crowne royale shots made for a rather unpleasnt 15 minutes unti loss of consciousness hit around 1 AM

I also see why wedding parties can create a lot of marital discourse the next morning. thankfully other then drunk on my ass I did nothing to seek legal counselling for

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm going to count that as a "Woah man, I was sooooo wasted the other night!" post.