Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 am

All three pose a significant enough issue to the well-being of society to be restricted.

I'm generally not for a lifting of the ban on on opiates or major amphetamines like cocaine or meth.

Pot? Okay. Should have remained legal. While ecstasy has an amphetamine backbone, incidence of addiction is fairly rare and impact on society is low, so its legalization is something an argument could be made for.

And with most drugs, simple personal possession should be decriminalized. You don't usually reform an addict by putting them in jail. Ironically, in some cases, their access to their drug of choice may actually be increased while serving time.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:53 am

Agreed.
Ironically, in some cases, their access to their drug of choice may actually be increased while serving time.
True. Even the knowledge that the drug of choice was probably smuggled into the prison via a swallowed balloon that passed through someone's colon and had to be fished out of a toilet full of feces doesn't dissuade many inmates from buying and using it anyway.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 am

Not to go off on a conspiracy theory, but I just can't see how the government isn't involved in the heroin and cocaine trade. When the Taliban was in control of Afghanistan, they completely eradicated poppy production. Not sure why, it seems like they would've been more than happy to make money on the addictions of the hated western heathen, but for whatever reason, they stopped it completely. Soon as we moved in, the poppy production began again. Not saying that's why we went in (although I'm sure some people probably think that), but it can't be a coincidence that the heroin started flowing again only after we had come in. You can't tell me that various spooks around the world aren't facilitating and profiting from the production of heroin and cocaine everywhere we have any presence, which is pretty much everywhere...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am

This is from Breitbart, of all places...

Post 9/11 Afghanistan: Opium Cultivation, Production Increases Nearly 20-Fold

http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... y-20-fold/

And from the other end of the political spectrum, from the NY Times:

Tasked With Combating Opium, Afghan Officials Profit From It

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/worl ... .html?_r=0

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 am

Pretty sure when you've got Breitbart and the NY Times agreeing on something, it's not fake news...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 am

I had never heard this about John McCain before

no idea if its true but the article has people that accuse him of being in a panic that resulted in magnifying a tragedy on the Forrestal
-------------------------------------------------

The fire started at 10:51 a.m. Saturday, July 29, 1967, as 30-year-old Lt. Cmdr. John McCain sat on the port side of the Forrestal in his A-4 Skyhawk going through preflight checks. To his right was Lt. Cmdr. Fred White, also in an A-4 Skyhawk attack aircraft. A Zuni rocket on another airplane accidentally fired and flew across the flight deck, passing through White’s auxiliary fuel tank and falling into the ocean. Fuel spilled onto the deck from White’s craft and ignited. McCain told his biographer, Robert Timberg, and repeats in his own book, “Faith of My Fathers,” that the rocket hit his own plane and knocked two bombs from it into the burning fuel as he scrambled out of his cockpit and raced to safety across the deck.1

There was, in fact, a single bomb—not two—that dropped to the deck. It exploded 90 seconds after the fire broke out, intensifying the blaze until it raged out of control. White and Thomas Ott, McCain’s parachute rigger, were among the first to be killed instantly or mortally injured, along with most of the firefighting crew. McCain’s plane captain, Robert Zwerlein, was one of those who suffered fatal wounds at this point.

A camera on the deck recorded images showing that the Zuni rocket struck White’s plane. The Navy report later attributed the dropped bomb to White’s plane, although the film footage does not seem to establish this definitively. However, McCain has said many times that the Zuni rocket caused the bomb (two bombs in McCain’s version) to fall from his own craft.

Some of those who were on the Forrestal and other persons familiar with the ordnance told me that because the rocket did not hit McCain’s craft, only actions by the pilot could have caused any bomb to fall from McCain’s Skyhawk. These sources—who spoke under the condition that they not be publicly identified—agree with each other that, if any bomb fell from the McCain airplane, it was because of actions that he took either in error or panic upon seeing the fire on the deck or in his hasty exit from the plane. Two switches in the cockpit of a Skyhawk need to be thrown to drop such a bomb, according to the sources.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/200 ... edy_at_sea
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:56 am

hedge wrote:Not to go off on a conspiracy theory, but I just can't see how the government isn't involved in the heroin and cocaine trade. When the Taliban was in control of Afghanistan, they completely eradicated poppy production. Not sure why, it seems like they would've been more than happy to make money on the addictions of the hated western heathen, but for whatever reason, they stopped it completely. Soon as we moved in, the poppy production began again. Not saying that's why we went in (although I'm sure some people probably think that), but it can't be a coincidence that the heroin started flowing again only after we had come in. You can't tell me that various spooks around the world aren't facilitating and profiting from the production of heroin and cocaine everywhere we have any presence, which is pretty much everywhere...
What possible motivation would the Obama administration have in letting his intelligence agencies proliferate the production of heroin in Afghanistan and elsewhere for 8 years? I CAN imagine a scenario where we let the local Afghan tribal chiefs get rich on heroin production in return for them cooperating with us on other issues.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am

Well, that's still collusion. But no, I'm pretty sure that no president or cabinet level official has directly profited from the drug trade (some would disagree, I'm sure), but you get down to field agents and military personnel, i.e, people with the authority and the means to stop it if they wanted to, I would find it hard to believe that plenty of those people aren't getting their palms greased. And don't even get me started on DEA agents...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 am

For the ultra liberal (which in this case is also libertarian) view, here's a short interview with Noam Chomsky. Makes sense...

https://chomsky.info/20020208/

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:28 am

[youtube]35eEljsSQfc[/youtube]

[img2]https://commentisfreewatch.files.wordpr ... table1.jpg[/img2]
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 am

New York and Florida
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:09 am

Hit pieces on McCain makes sense.

"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:05 am

Especially during the 2008 election.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 am

McCain was the last Republican I voted for POTUS. And even then, it was like drinking syrup of ipicac.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 am

Try drinking Clorox instead next time

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 am

Similar numbers for Christians in the Middle East. Neither Jews nor Christians have done well living under the Religion of Peace. According to that religious nutjob apologist rag, HuffPo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/2 ... 78582.html

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:09 pm

aTm wrote:[youtube]35eEljsSQfc[/youtube]

[img2]https://commentisfreewatch.files.wordpr ... table1.jpg[/img2]
It's like African descendants in Argentina.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Ummm, maybe she didn't think things through...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/24/de ... diana.html
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:53 pm

AA is noticeably quiet with his harpy Image 2 horseshit on here

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:04 pm

I don't read anything prof posts.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.