Moderators: aTm, Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Alabama Crimson Tide

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:51 pm

I agree with that prediction. The Dawgs will have their revenge on us for Fairley's riverdance on Murray last season. We simply don't have the weapons anymore to stop them from returning the favor. The only thing worse for us than being slapped around by UGA will be getting sodomized by UA a couple of weeks later, thus ending a miserable season for our brave, but hopelessly outmanned, Auburn Tigers.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by GBJs » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:04 am

Y'all play Arkansas after Georgia this year? You should have paid more attention to AA, we'll lose probably 6 games this year. The schedule is murder's row again, and again, we have more opponents with a week off to prepare than anyone else in the conference.

...G,biit...
Worth. Every. Cent.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:37 pm

G,BIIT is like "Shake and Bake!" I never get tired of it.

6 losses this season? Maybe your basketball team will have that many losses, but not your football team, which will go undefeated.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

GBJs
Senior

Post by GBJs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 am

Our basketball team has a better chance of going undefeated. I expect us to go scoreless in several games this season. The only games we won't lose are the ones UT and Auburn will have to vacate due to impending sanctions. Even 'bye' will be favored.

...G,BIIT...
Worth. Every. Cent.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 am

The only games we won't lose are the ones UT and Auburn will have to vacate due to impending sanctions.
I'm so worried about that I might need to do something to cheer myself up.

Do you know a place in Tuscaloosa where I can buy a nice suit?

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 am

I know it would just be a matter of time before you commented on that.

1. The players have receipts.

2. The store owner says he bought many pieces of memorabilia from shops because it got people to come into his store.

3. Speaking of buying memorablilia, would you like to buy a Michael Dyer signed Auburn football? It's available on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAM-NEWTON-MICHAEL- ... 25612fcf81

4. Do you agree that the above is a violation? Are you willing to jump to conclusions as quickly? In fact, I plan to buy the football. I have a friend who owns a car dealership and can easily get him to display the signed Dyer football.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:30 am

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

GBJs
Senior

Post by GBJs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Shouldn't be talking suits any way...Cam's suit for the Heisman presentation has come under some scrutiny.
Worth. Every. Cent.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:23 pm

The NCAA allows for a suit for award ceremonies. However, that is one suit at what an average personal would consider 'usual and reasonbable.'

Rumor is, Cam got 5 of them at $10,000 each.
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:25 pm

AA, you are going way deeper into that than I intended to. My words were intended to be a playful reply to GBJ's whimsical reference to Auburn and UT's impending sanctions. All light and fun. You should try that sometime.

However, here is my reply to your indignation: When I read about the suitgate brouhaha, my impression was, and still is:

1. The NCAA has a Talmudic rule book to start with. When they slam Lehigh lacrosse or Wlilliam & Mary bowling, it's always over things that strike me as silly. "On this day, an assistant coach of the university made a call from a landline from his office, which is a violation. However, if the head coach had texted the athlete using a cell phone while driving his car, it would have been permissible." I think the NCAA has so many nitpicky rules that programs can't say "Merry Christmas" without breaking some sort of rule.

2. I didn't go very deep into the legalese of suitgate, but it is supposedly along these lines: it was not against the rules for Bama athletes to sign the jerseys; it was supposedly against the rules for the store to use the signed jerseys as an advertisement for his business or resell them. The owner of the store allegedly qualifies as a booster, which invokes a whole new flood of NCAA rabbinical minutiae. To me, the only evidence that something was actually amiss was the University issued some sort of cease and desist order to stop what was going on. If there was nothing wrong, that cease and desist or order would not have been necessary.

3. Please note my repeated and intentional use of the words "allegedly," "supposedly," etc. This reflects my healthy sense of skepticism about the whole thing.

4. Did some archane NCAA rule get violated? Probably. Is it a big deal? Probably not. Will anything come of it? Almost certainly not, nor should it, given what little I see now.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Your apology is accepted.
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 pm

I bet TTown Menswear provides suits to Updyke for his court appearances free of charge.

I wonder if they make custom made worsted wool orange jumpsuits too.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:53 pm

Orange jumpsuits? Is that for updike or 'The Felonious Four'?
— Abraham Lincoln

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Nah. Tom doesn't attire ex-Auburn players. Although the orange jumpsuit thing might be very popular in Tennessee.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Did you look at the eBay pages? The Dyer stuff is going for a fortune.
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:16 pm

I still plan to buy some of the stuff though. My friend says he will display it with a sign that says, "I am not saying that I directly paid Dyer and McCaleb for these signed helmets, jerseys, and footballs. But, I'm not denying it, either."
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:25 pm

To me, the only evidence that something was actually amiss was the University issued some sort of cease and desist order to stop what was going on. If there was nothing wrong, that cease and desist or order would not have been necessary.

Forgot to respond to this. You do not know the rules. NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.1 states It is against NCAA rules for a likeness of a player to be used to promote a business. NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2 MANDATES that the University take steps to have that likeness removed.
— Abraham Lincoln

GBJs
Senior

Post by GBJs » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:30 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:The NCAA allows for a suit for award ceremonies. However, that is one suit at what an average personal would consider 'usual and reasonbable.'

Rumor is, Cam got 5 of them at $10,000 each.
That would be stupid. Kid already knew he was going pro and soon would have money to buy suits whenever he chose. Besides, by the time he paid taxes on 50K, that would have been a third of his initial signing bonus.
Worth. Every. Cent.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I still plan to buy some of the stuff though. My friend says he will display it with a sign that says, "I am not saying that I directly paid Dyer and McCaleb for these signed helmets, jerseys, and footballs. But, I'm not denying it, either."
Does he have photos of Dyer and McCaleb signing them? Are those in front of other memorabilia that were for sale right behind them, in violation of NCAA rules??

Megaskeet, Phyllis from Mulga, and Harvey Updyke have probably been cranking out all that Auburn autographed stuff from their trailers/prison cell. Your friend should check and make sure they aren't spelled "Dyah" and "Mackaylubb."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Tell your friend I've got a limited supply of footballs, Auburn helmets and Auburn jerseys. Each one has the following inscription:
"I'm Cam Newton, and McGregor paid me to sign with Auburn."

Each is for sale for $100. I also accept all major credit cards.