The Forum Without Decorum.

Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by bluetick » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm

BigRedMan wrote:
Mental health issues need to be addressed just like cancer and teen pregnancy in this country. More focus and help.
So oprama issued an executive order last year that allowed doctors and healthcare providers to report the names of mentally ill patients into the federal firearms background check system, basically adding another HIPPA exclusion for law enforcement types. More focus on the matter of mental illness as it relates to gun purchases.

Trump has vowed to 'unsign' all of oprama's executive orders wrt gun control.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Allowing doctors to violate their oath of confidentiality and report the crazies is likely to keep the functional crazies from seeking help in the first place. It was bad legislation.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:36 pm

"those that are unaffected by gun violence on a day to day basis (in regards to mass shootings) see gun violence of that type as random and no more a threat than a mass pileup on the interstate or a hotel fire."

You could say the same thing about those unaffected by terrorists attacks on a day to day basis, which, in this country since 9/11, is virtually everyone. I find it interesting that people who are, well, terrified of terrorist attacks committed by "foreigners" are relatively nonplussed about mass shooting by homegrown loonies. In the latter case, the attitude is "oh well, shit like this is going to happen, nothing we can do about it", whereas in the former case, they're willing (indeed, eager) to scrap decades (if not centuries) of immigration policy that, except for 9/11 (and certainly since 9/11) has worked pretty damn well...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Immigration has been halted/restarted many times over the last 200 yrs.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Allowing doctors to violate their oath of confidentiality and report the crazies is likely to keep the functional crazies from seeking help in the first place. It was bad legislation.
It's as you say, an allowance; discretionary - not a requirement. Plus you have to figure that a high percentage of those crazies would give little thought to an obscure executive order re: HIPPA and NCIS as they seek help.

As it is, doctors ARE required to break confidentiality and report sex offenses committed or contemplated against children and/or minors. There's no waffling about the rights of the crazies on that one.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Immigration has been halted/restarted many times over the last 200 yrs.
I wish it had been halted when your wretched kin were trying to get in...

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:08 pm

Tuck,

Well, the abuse one is after the fact. After a crime is committed and you give specifics of what they have done. You don't report that they are fantasizing about kids. The gun one is "pre-crime". Reporting that they "may" do something.

But neither are particularly smart or effective.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:38 pm

I never debate gun control, AA, because it's a deadend street. I merely pointed out a couple of inconsistencies wrt other people's comments but I have no heart for it. Guns are fine; I used to hunt but it seems like I only have time for golf anymore.

I do think too many people have an unhealthy fascination with firearms (and weapons in general), and I'll never be happy with the sight of people openly carrying - ever. On that I think we may agree.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:55 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Immigration has been halted/restarted many times over the last 200 yrs.

Take a few steps back and look at the big picture. This is not about immigration (as far as my view). This is about a reckless and haphazard administration, at best, or a unethical power-grabbing administration, at worst. I'm vacillating between which one it is with this crew in the White House. The optimist in me is saying the former, but actions detailed in the article I posted have me looking seriously at the latter. I would imagine some people will come out screaming "calm down, tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists!" but the facts are the facts in this. The DCI (or DNI, I keep forgetting) was dramatically changed with Bannon having a permanent seat. The firings in the State Department are factual. The labeling of the press as "opposition" is factual. Giving "alternate facts" as a response to a question is factual.

The guy suspected of providing the "piss dossier" to the MI6 guy was killed in Russia (after he was taken from a staff meeting a few days earlier).

Too many times people have been on the wrong side of history by not seeing the forest for the trees.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:22 pm

bluetick wrote:
DooKSucks wrote:I am going to see if there is a way to send money to the family they highlighted in Cary on 60 Minutes last night.
If by family you mean Mom and that nice set of twins under her sweater...please share the address.
You noticed the fun bags too, eh?
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Bklyn wrote:

Take a few steps back and look at the big picture. This is not about immigration (as far as my view). This is about a reckless and haphazard administration, at best, or a unethical power-grabbing administration, at worst. I'm vacillating between which one it is with this crew in the White House. The optimist in me is saying the former, but actions detailed in the article I posted have me looking seriously at the latter. I would imagine some people will come out screaming "calm down, tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists!" but the facts are the facts in this. The DCI (or DNI, I keep forgetting) was dramatically changed with Bannon having a permanent seat. The firings in the State Department are factual. The labeling of the press as "opposition" is factual. Giving "alternate facts" as a response to a question is factual.

The guy suspected of providing the "piss dossier" to the MI6 guy was killed in Russia (after he was taken from a staff meeting a few days earlier).

Too many times people have been on the wrong side of history by not seeing the forest for the trees.

I understand it's not just about immigration, I was simply slapping down Hedge's false premise in the previous post...... And, in this case, all who were detained/delayed have been released. Also, open borders, as we have had for past many years IS on the wrong side of history.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Got it. I thought you looked at the article I posted and only took away the immigration point. My bad.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:01 pm

"I was simply slapping down Hedge's false premise in the previous post.."

What was the false premise? That there hasn't been anyone killed in the US by a foreign terrorist since 9/11? And the only real attacks of any kind have been the familiar shoot 'em up's, which there have been plenty of those by crazy whitey's. Like I said, seems like whatever vetting procedures were already in place were keeping us plenty safe. But of course, nothing is going to satisfy hysterical cowards like Toe, who cowers in his house terrified and angry after getting jacked up on Fox News...

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:04 pm

I like how there is an inverse relationship between people who are scared of terrorists and people who live in places where terror attacks might happen.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:10 pm

bluetick wrote:I never debate gun control, AA, because it's a deadend street. I merely pointed out a couple of inconsistencies wrt other people's comments but I have no heart for it. Guns are fine; I used to hunt but it seems like I only have time for golf anymore.

I do think too many people have an unhealthy fascination with firearms (and weapons in general), and I'll never be happy with the sight of people openly carrying - ever. On that I think we may agree.
Agreed on the debate. It doesn't amount to anything productive. I honestly wish I had never even replied this morning.

But I did.

Anyway, I used to shoot competitively, I don't any more. I do occaisionally instruct at the local police range in exchange for access there (as an aside, the average cop is not great with the firearm on his hip, believe it or not). But even if I didn't have that background, as a little L libertarian, I bristle at restricting freedoms. The facts are that the vast majority of gun owners never have an issue with them. The same as the vast majority of people who drink, own a car, smoke pot, and a million other things. I truly believe that the prohibition of responsible firearm ownership is in the same category as the prohibition of alcohol. While both prohibitions have support by some as addressing a perceived societal evil, I think we have to be careful in restricting an established freedom due to the crazies and criminals who misuse, abuse, and commit crimes and use X as the tool of said crime.

We have 4 more murders than Europe per 100,000 citizens, and that's a problem, but I think that there are societal and sociopolitical issues here that impact that, too, and that pointing at guns and saying, "Aha! There is the problem!" is myopic.

I think many of the open carry zealots go overboard in trying to make a point and assert their rights; however, I don't have an issue with it, per se. I am always more concerned with the weapon I can't see.
— Abraham Lincoln

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:41 pm

So we now see that Donald Trump was, all along, a clever plot by eCat to demonstrate to libs on this board the need for the 2nd Amendment...

<applause>

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm not the liberal to call for conventional gun talk.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01 pm

hedge wrote:"those that are unaffected by gun violence on a day to day basis (in regards to mass shootings) see gun violence of that type as random and no more a threat than a mass pileup on the interstate or a hotel fire."

You could say the same thing about those unaffected by terrorists attacks on a day to day basis, which, in this country since 9/11, is virtually everyone. I find it interesting that people who are, well, terrified of terrorist attacks committed by "foreigners" are relatively nonplussed about mass shooting by homegrown loonies. In the latter case, the attitude is "oh well, shit like this is going to happen, nothing we can do about it", whereas in the former case, they're willing (indeed, eager) to scrap decades (if not centuries) of immigration policy that, except for 9/11 (and certainly since 9/11) has worked pretty damn well...

I don't wake up thinking about terrorists attacks. I don't wake up thinking about high school shootings.

And you're wrong about decades of immigration policy. You guys think that "bring me your tired, your poor.... is some kind of American immigration policy.

We'd been a country all of 22 years before Adams felt it was necessary to push the Alien and Seditions act and it was backed by former President George Washington. The Alien act said he could deport any Alien in the U.S. from a country that we were at war with, and the Sedition act said he was tired of all the bullshit newspapers were printing about him.

So People electing a Donald Trump isn't anything new in this country. You guys keep harping about the American way. As I said before, your vision of it exists only in a 1930's Frank Capra movie.

Without checking I'd bet you'd be challenged to find more American presidents who haven't halted or altered immigration from a certain segment or people of the world during his administration than you would those who have.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Somebody needs to call Bklyn for some conventional gun talk...

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Bklyn wrote:
eCat wrote:
I'm sure we'll have discussions about Trump overstepping his bounds

This won't be one of them.

I voted for this.
two quotes

"drain the swamp"

"blow it up"

If you keep pinning your hopes on me having some epiphany, its not going to be 7 days into the Trump administration.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.