Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by DooKSucks » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:14 pm

hedge wrote:Logan has offered to pay you to write a hagiography of his life and work, but you won't do it...
I can only imagine what a hagiography of Logan would have to say to its audience...
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by eCat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Bklyn wrote:1. A black male with a college education has the same chance of getting employment as a white high school drop out. (https://thinkprogress.org/a-black-colle ... .ss5bzvssr)
associates degree...bleh

according to the study, even though unemployment is higher among African Americans at every level of education, the added gains in income and employment opportunities gained from getting an additional degree is much greater for African Americans than whites. For example, a professional degree gives a black male a 146 percent larger increase in employment opportunities than his white counterparts. A bachelor’s degree raises the median wage of a black man by $10,000 per year, compared to a raise of $6,100 per year for a white man.

Allison also emphasized that the racial gap for both women and men gets smaller with higher and higher degrees. The employment gap between black and white men with bachelors degrees is only 5 percent. For women, it’s just 3 percent.

So what that says is essentially an associates degree isn't going to take you very far. Get the bachelors degree.
2. Having a "black" name makes it 50% less likely to get an interview (http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... get-respo/)
yea I can see that being true.
3. Being black makes your interaction with law and justice heightened (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ating.html)

I guess when he was going around picking statistics he skipped over ones like this

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/ ... report.pdf
I can keep going, but i have a meeting. I can go through home buying disparities wrt race, credit and capital and impacts on that generationally. It's all real.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:25 pm

eCat wrote:
hedge wrote:"my wife doesn't work"

That's your main problem right there. Well, that and the $10 a gallon bootleg milk that she sends you all over the county to fetch, which adds another $5 per gallon (at least) in fuel costs. Fucking A, why even get married if the wife ain't gonna work, unless you're making enough yourself where it's not even close to being an issue, which doesn't seem to be the case here...
we did the same thing. My wife didn't work and we were buying organic milk for the kids - something like $4.99 for a half gallon. Once the daughter turned 3 I said fuck this, she drinks hormones like the rest of us.
This is milk straight from the cow that I have to drive 40 miles roundtrip to get each week (I pick up for 2 other people and they pay me so the fuel cost is covered) but yeah, you can buy milk at Walmark for $2.85/gal now.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm

hedge wrote:Logan has offered to pay you to write a hagiography of his life and work, but you won't do it...
I will do it but he keeps wanting me to sell his company's services, which I have hardly any knowledge about and am loathe to sit around and make a bunch of calls and try to sound like i know what I'm talking about.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by aTm » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Just to make sure I have this straight, Stu is on a clear path where his abject poverty will eventually lead to him finishing his life in groveling servitude to this Logan character you've always gone on and on about?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Currently, I'm resisting it.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:35 pm

eCat wrote:
Bklyn wrote:1. A black male with a college education has the same chance of getting employment as a white high school drop out. (https://thinkprogress.org/a-black-colle ... .ss5bzvssr)
associates degree...bleh

according to the study, even though unemployment is higher among African Americans at every level of education, the added gains in income and employment opportunities gained from getting an additional degree is much greater for African Americans than whites. For example, a professional degree gives a black male a 146 percent larger increase in employment opportunities than his white counterparts. A bachelor’s degree raises the median wage of a black man by $10,000 per year, compared to a raise of $6,100 per year for a white man.

Allison also emphasized that the racial gap for both women and men gets smaller with higher and higher degrees. The employment gap between black and white men with bachelors degrees is only 5 percent. For women, it’s just 3 percent.

So what that says is essentially an associates degree isn't going to take you very far. Get the bachelors degree.
2. Having a "black" name makes it 50% less likely to get an interview (http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/st ... get-respo/)
yea I can see that being true.
3. Being black makes your interaction with law and justice heightened (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ating.html)

I guess when he was going around picking statistics he skipped over ones like this

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/ ... report.pdf
I can keep going, but i have a meeting. I can go through home buying disparities wrt race, credit and capital and impacts on that generationally. It's all real.
Regardless of the margin of difference in employment numberes, if the difference exists (with all other factors outside of race held constant) then it is attributable to privilege. Excuse the pun, but I don't care about degrees of difference, just the fact that there are differences.

At the end of the day, this whole conversation (which I swear/swore I wasn't going to spend any time on today) is about whether privilege exists. Privilege is a benefit derived from solely having a single attribute that otherwise would not contribute to the underlying reason the benefit was given. That is whether it is gender, religious, racial or orientation in nature.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:11 pm

by that definition I would agree
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Wait...what? I swore this was gonna go back and forth. Oh shit.

OK. We agree. It exists.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:44 pm

Pretty sure eCat really meant that blacks are shiftless.

(Don't let this end!)
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:50 pm

As a hilljack through and through, eCat resists the notion that he has any type of privilege.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:53 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Pretty sure eCat really meant that blacks are shiftless.

(Don't let this end!)
LMAO!!!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Bklyn wrote:Wait...what? I swore this was gonna go back and forth. Oh shit.

OK. We agree. It exists.

well yea, if we're saying there is a difference but the margin is isn't a gaping hole - at least for hilljacks, then I have no problem with that.

the margin between hilljacks and say Cletus though is pretty got damn wide.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:28 am

And ever shall be. The Cletii of the world shan't be toppled.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:30 am

Fuck cletus. Theres a reason hes the Dick Cheney of the internet
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Discrimination based on religion is now officially part of American public policy.

These are not alternative facts:

Exactly zero American citizens have been killed in acts of terrorism on US soil committed by people from any of the banned countries.

Despite Trump's invocation of September 11 in his executive order, the home countries of the 9/11 attackers (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Lebanon, Egypt) are not included in the banned list.

Trump has business ties to three of those countries (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt).

This is just the first week. Can't wait to see what new horrors are coming.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:39 pm

According to the Cato Institute (from September), you had a 1 in 3.64 billion chance of being killed in a terrorist attack committed by a refugee:

http://www.cato.org/publications/policy ... k-analysis

Im glad that we're abandoning fundamental American values to improve those odds.

SnoodGator
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by SnoodGator » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Cletus as you correctly point out in the first post, those odds are not improved. Please revise and resubmit your second post.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Cletus wrote:
Im glad that we're abandoning fundamental American values to improve those odds.

In 1848, Europe saw turmoil. On the continent, democratic and nationalist uprisings swept through France, Germany, and its neighbors, as reformists joined with middle- and working-class agitators to overturn monarchy and despotism. They won a few victories, but the reactionaries weren’t weak—in short order, forces led by Prussia and the Habsburgs in Vienna would crush the revolts and scatter these liberal movements to the winds. Meanwhile, in Ireland, a blight destroyed the potato crop and threatened millions with starvation, as British officials refused to help or intervene.

Both events sparked mass migrations to the United States, as hundreds of thousands of Germans and Irish left their homes to escape political persecution, conflict, and famine. They followed a decade of similar but more modest immigration, stretching back to the 1830s, when the first major waves of German and Irish immigrants reached American shores.

The Americans who met them were conflicted. On one hand, they believed in the Christian universalism, democratic equality, and its attendant faith in assimilation—the conviction, writes late historian John Higham in Strangers in the Land: Patterns of American Nativism, 1860–1925, “that this new land would bring unity out of diversity as a matter of course.” On the other, however, these migrants were alien, possessed of a religion—Catholicism—that seemed incompatible, if not hostile, to republican government.

The question of the refugees isn’t if we’ll honor our values; it’s which ones we’ll choose.

More than 3 million people came to American shores in the decade after 1845—the greatest increase in our history, relative to the overall population—and they exerted an immediate impact on American life and institutions, transforming cities across the Northeast and bringing a new wave of aggressive nativism, culminating in the anti-immigrant “Know-Nothing” movement, which spawned a political party. Its platform? “Repeal of all naturalization laws … War to the hilt, on political Romanism … Hostility to all Papal influences, when brought to bear against the Republic … The sending back of all foreign paupers.”

The Know-Nothings burned hot—affiliated candidates swept several state legislatures in the 1854 elections—and quickly died out. By the end of the decade, sectional conflict over slavery had overcome immigration as the central issue of American politics. In the South, the Know-Nothing “American Party” dissolved in the face of Democratic dominance, and in the North, anti-slavery Know-Nothings were pulled into the nascent Republican Party.

Despite the end of the Know-Nothings, nativism persisted in national life, as part of the deep ambivalence and fear Americans have felt towards migrants, immigrants, and refugees of various stripes. You saw it in violent form, for example, during the waves of Chinese immigration in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when Chinese immigrants faced exclusion, discrimination, and outright pogroms from mobs of angry, resentful European Americans (some, no doubt, descended from Irish and German immigrants).

You saw it in the late 1930s, when Americans faced Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany, and had to choose: Would we take the victims of Hitler’s anti-Semitism, or reject them? On the question of refugee children, at least, Americans said no: 67 percent opposed taking in 10,000 refugee children from Germany, according to a 1939 poll from Gallup.

They were similarly unmoved by earlier groups of Jewish refugees, and their fears evoked the anxieties of their predecessors in 1848 and beyond. Americans, and their counterparts in Western Europe, feared foreign influence and dangerous ideologies like communism and anarchism. (Just a few decades earlier, in the living memory of many adults at the time, an anarchist killed an American president.)

Again and again, when faced with the question of refugees and immigrants, Americans are ambivalent and sometimes hostile. In 1975, for example, 62 percent said they feared Vietnamese refugees would take their jobs. Four years later, just as many said they didn’t want to admit “boat people” from Vietnam, who were fleeing the country’s repressive communist government. Americans said the same for Cuban refugees in the 1980s, Haitians in the 1990s, and most recently, the wave of refugee children from South America, which brought protests and fears of disease and infection.

--------------

Doesn't seem like we're abandoning much of anything except the belief that our nation operates like a 1930's Frank Capra movie.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:37 pm

When Trump signed that EO...and EOs work from the top down, so if the Order is given without the underlying details laid out, then the application of the Order can take many forms; essentially causing chaos.

That's what we have now. People held in US airports who were in flight and properly documented before the EO, Green Card holders not allowed back in the US after vacationing abroad. European citizens being delayed entry because of business travel to those (now) restricted areas of the globe. Beyond the merits of the actual policy, this was wildly sloppy and poorly executed. That is what is most concerning out of this. We cannot afford to be sloppy on the best intended policies. Our shit is too important, consequential and complicated. Welcome to Day 8 in office. This doesn't bode well. Cletus is right, the list doesn't even cover areas where we have historically seen domestic terrorism arise.

The cherry on top was Trump signing the EO on Holocaust Remembrance Day. It all feels like fiction.