Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:21 am

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:23 am

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Teen Mom, Pawn Stars and The Walking Dead are very popular in Kentucky. Shocking...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Kentucky shows strong support of 16 and Pregnant as well...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm not sure why The Walking Dead is so popular in Appalachia

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:36 pm

The proliferation of crystal meth makes The Walking Dead seem like reality TV to those folks...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:12 pm

sadly that reason may be as good as any other

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:54 pm

They hope to spot one their kinfolk amongst the zombies...

Saint
All-American
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:06 pm

They all root for Durrl

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:45 am

And they all secretly admire Negan...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:52 am

nothing groundbreaking but an article from the Boston Globe on recently release documents shows that Bobby Kennedy did believe that his brother was killed by an organized group and not a lone gunman theory.

its long but worth reading. Killing Bobby and eliminating any chance of him being president meant there was no chance anyone would revisit the Warren Commission

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/ ... dMore_Pos3

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Mark Lane (Rush to Judgement) lectured on our campus back around '77 and made a hell of case that a CIA-mob-Cuban consortium killed JFK. I remember the reaction in the audience when he showed his bootleg copy of the Zapruder film- unedited. Everybody in attendance signed a petition demanding the government reopen the investigation (it almost did a couple of times, or so it appeared).
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:10 pm

eCat wrote:Hillary wasn't sincere

Not saying Trump was, but this idea that women had to vote for her to advance feminism or whatever just doesn't work if you're being asked to vote for someone who doesn't represent your values
I keep thinking about this post that I let sit without response a while ago because I don't believe most people have core principles, they just pretend to. I think most people default into tribalism and confirmation biases. But that post struck me as funny then and funny now.

I won't overwrite this, but the irony of those last 15 words in your post is deep. Feminism doesn't exist if white women (because, let's keep it real, Donald lost Asian, Black and Latino women by landslides) don't value equal pay, agency over their own bodies and sexist exploitation. I can see reconciling a vote for Romney or McCain and maintaining a view on that...but not Trump. This has very little to do with Hillary and her being a woman. This is about a Trump.

<shrug>

Again, I'm not losing sleep (although I have a habit of dissecting human behavior). It is what it is. I've learned a lot.

These hoes ain't loyal.

reference lost?
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Feminism doesn't exist if white women (because, let's keep it real, Donald lost Asian, Black and Latino women by landslides) don't value equal pay, agency over their own bodies and sexist exploitation.

are you saying that Asian , Black and Latino women do value equal pay (as opposed to white women)?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:28 am

Worst of MSNBC in 2016

[youtube]O7Bkh9Wo2vE[/youtube]

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:31 am

eCat wrote:Feminism doesn't exist if white women (because, let's keep it real, Donald lost Asian, Black and Latino women by landslides) don't value equal pay, agency over their own bodies and sexist exploitation.

are you saying that Asian , Black and Latino women do value equal pay (as opposed to white women)?
Its because white women don't experience those issues as much as the minority women so it's not as high on the list of what this country needs to them.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:48 am

White women, holding all other variables constant, make ~$440K less than a white man over the course of their careers. Black women make ~$900K less. Latinas make ~$1.3M less. I didn't see any data on Asian women (for full attribution, this information came from a Presidential Roundtable I attended at the WH last April #humblebrag). So, I guess white women don't experience those issues as much, but they do experience it. Ironically, white women have been the biggest beneficiary of affirmative action policy in this country, but participate in its progression the least.

Either way, my original central premise was that the nature of "feminism" was women had a common value proposition across the spectrum of womanhood. It now appears to me that gender is less of a cultural force than race is. Consequently, I now view feminism as fundamentally a loosely held subset of racial politics.

I expect I will say this to a white woman in the next year who will give me a heavy lecture about my arrogance.

Again...<shrug>
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:02 am

eCat wrote:
I'm saying that the basic principles of "Feminism" (which are inclusive of, but not restricted to, equal pay) appeared to not matter to white women in this election (at least not at the level of women of color). Say what you will about what you think Donald WILL DO, there is plenty of data and public records showing what he HAS DONE and said with respect to issues central to "Feminism." It's a very clear picture, in my opinion.

It's not a perfect congruence, but I view it very much like Evangelicals who voted for Trump. There are definitive principles and values that are laid out in the words of Jesus and disciples for people who profess to be believers are supposed to follow. This election, as a practical matter, is a good view to assess what these Evangelicals find important versus what the teachings of Jesus actually are. In my opinion, this election has shown the spread between those two points to be wide.

I question the depth of Feminism and the depth of Christianity in people who claim to be aligned with both. That's essentially what I'm saying.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:22 pm

Feminism was a bigger deal before somehow in the last 8 years we went from a post-racial society that elected Obama to protests, riots, shootings, vandalism, and Donald Trump.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 pm

And just because black, Asian,and Hispanic women voted for Hillary doesn't mean they voted for her because of women's rights. I'm guessing immigration was the predominant issue with Asian and Hispanic women and Obamacare for the AA women. Women's rights isnt the #1 issue for most women in any demographic.