Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: La Salle Explorers

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:05 am

True, immigration laws have taken a hit. But I the voting laws and the education laws have made great improvements over the last 30 years. For example, one of my alma maters is somewhere around 15% black now. Considering the stand in the school house door happened there and within my lifetime, that is a heady statistic. I believe that the government is fairly representative of the population, as well. Certainly, there is work left to do, but...anyway, visit when you can. I promise no one will tell you to bring the car around, or say, "wow, you're so....articulate!"
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:16 am

Heh, which the former I got outside of a restaurant in DC shortly after undergrad (thankfully, my car got there before his car) and the latter happened to me in NYC more than a few times; the most offensive episode coming from a guy who was my old boss' boss that used that phrase as an intro to discussing how he wanted to hook me up with his sister-in-law (in his defense, he is from Boston). Trailing those scenarios in the #3 slot is when people at the cocktail hours of galas ask me to take their empty drinks. At least in New York, the old Liberal Jewish ladies who make that mistake look legitimately mortified that their thinly suppressed prejudices have been exposed in such immediate and public fashions.

I don't know if I should be more disappointed in the people bringing these experiences to my doorstep, or in me who has hardened so much to the offenses that I don't even feel a twinge of emotion about it anymore.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:22 am

Sweet. Go get me a sandwich.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:23 am

I pitched that one underhand to you...
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 am

I know

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 pm

My home for the next two weeks. Again.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:08 pm

finalized buying the campsite this week by getting all the paperwork filed.

The campsite included a 24' camper which the owner talked like was in great shape. Opened it up and the thing was a damn shithole - water damage, fungus - I'd rather sleep on the ground that in that thing, so Friday on the way back we went by one of those places that sells portable buildings and found a nice 12 X 18 cabin which sounds small (and it is) but has two lofts in it that can each hold a queen size bed. They'll deliver and setup for $3K so as soon as we figure out how to get rid of that pile of shit camper (hello Craigslist) we're going to setup a permanent cabin. We figure with the two beds and a futon on the first floor, we'll still have plenty of room for whatever we want to do with it.

Since its off the grid, I'm going to build a separate shower house/toilet with a septic tank and grey water filter system, and have (2) 100w solar panels that feed into 2 marine batteries with an inverter. That will run the LED lights, a couple of box fans , a LCD TV and the water pump. I bought (4) 55 gallon plastic drums, 2 of which will catch rain water from the gutters and feed into the shower, toilet and sink and 2 which will act as the septic tank with leech lines. I'll be buying a propane tankless water heater that is 2gpm for the shower and sink and we'll have a deck with a roof that will have a picnic table and propane grill.

I bought a 5,000 BTU A/C unit and I have a 3500W generator. I'm going to build a box to help reduce the noise of the generator.

As you can tell , I'm pretty pumped about the place. Its at the base of a mountain with a quad trail that cuts thru our property and feeds into the park up the mountain. Burnside Marina which is on Lake Cumberland is about 4 miles away and a fairly decent size city, Somerset, Ky is about 8 miles away.

The cabin will have two double doors and we'll park 4 quads in there when we're not there camping.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:My home for the next two weeks. Again.
Enjoy the time with the kiddo
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 pm

How much survival gear and canned food do you already have out there?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:14 pm

That sounds very cool, eCat.

Let me my a suggestion: get you a couple of ADT stickers for your doors and windows (free, just call ADT) and a battery operated personal alarm for the door. The stickers will scare off 95% of the dipshits, and the personal alarm will fool the 5% of thieves who would say, "no way that out building has ADT."

My hunting cabin was getting broken into monthly until we did the above. We've had the door jimmied twice since then, but nothing taken. As the personal alarm apparently scared them off.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:16 pm

For a city born, green tea drinking, beer hating NYer like me, that still sounds pretty dope.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Only until you meet your lizard overlord
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:28 pm

eCat wrote:
Jungle Rat wrote:My home for the next two weeks. Again.
Enjoy the time with the kiddo
Kiddos. I haven't killed them yet. So far so good.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:20 pm

eCat

Check out the Honda generators. So quiet you have to touch them to know they are running.
Let 'er Blow!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:05 am

everyone raves about the Honda generators, however I'd rather have a much bigger wattage construction generator , something like 4000w for <$500 and build a sound dampening vented box around it. Its just more bang for the buck than the Honda.

Hyundai also makes a comparable generator to the Honda and is actually 200w more for $588 on amazon with free shipping. Supposedly is only a few decibels louder than the Honda. I may look into it.

Good advice on the ADT stickers. I was going to put up a game trail camera at the place as well.

Odds are we'll get broken into sooner or later anyways. It just goes with having a remote cabin.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:08 am

aTm wrote:How much survival gear and canned food do you already have out there?
It will definitely be a bug out location

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:24 am

Yeah. We had ammo, a TV, a couple of old skeet guns, and even canned goods and kitchen utensils taken. None of this was fancy stuff. Hell, the TV was one of the old bigbutt TVs.

The stickers help. The personal alarm was $4.99. Uses 4 watch batteries. Bought it at Target. It's one of those that a lady can hook to her purse or whatever. We just put a nail on the door and one on the jamb and would hang it between the two nails on our way out. But it makes a terrible high-pitched siren sound when pulled.
— Abraham Lincoln

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 am

Everybody has to have their little slice of hillbilly heaven.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:39 am

This is a story of self control and marksmanship by a brave, cool-headed woman with a small pistol against a fierce predator. What is the smallest caliber that you would trust to protect yourself?

A Beretta Jetfire testimonial.
Here is her story:
While out walking along the edge of a bayou just below Houma, Louisiana with my soon to be ex-husband discussing property settlement and other divorce issues, we were surprised by a huge 12-ft. alligator suddenly emerging from the murky water and charging us with its large jaws wide open.
She must have been protecting her nest because she was extremely aggressive.
If I had not had my little Beretta Jetfire .25 caliber pistol with me I would not be here today!
Just one shot to my estranged husband's knee cap was all it took.The gator got him easily and I was able to escape by just walking away at a brisk pace.
It's one of the best pistols in my collection! Plus ... the amount I saved in lawyer's fees was worth more than the purchase price of this gun.
My Dad is my hero still.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:49 am

LMAO!
Let 'er Blow!