Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Toemeesleather
Senior

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:58 am

It'd be great to get back to the non-partisan era of 2001-2008, when democrats, NBC, CBS, ABC, NYT, WP, 60 Minutes, NPR, LA Times, the Sierra Club, and Dan Rather were in charge of sour grapes and rhetoric. Pining for the past gets us nowhere. Long live accountability! Blame Bush/AGW, 6 years and counting.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 am

Yes, of course the dems were doing then what the repubs are now. The two parties are one in the same. And, the dem caterwauling then was as effective as the repub caterwauling is now.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks, just needed someone to confirm that all I'm doing is holding up a mirror to my fellow posters for them to see what it's like.

of course the dems were doing then what the repubs are now

.....dems and their media partners.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 am

Toemeesleather wrote:Thanks, just needed someone to confirm that all I'm doing is holding up a mirror to my fellow posters for them to see what it's like.

of course the dems were doing then what the repubs are now

.....dems and their media partners.
Unlike Fox News, Bloomberg, WSJ, Barron's, Washington Times, Drudge, NewsMax, National Review, Sierra News . . .

Here's what the University of Michigan reported:

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-liberalmedia.htm

The U.S. media are rapidly being monopolized by a dwindling number of parent corporations, all of whom have conservative economic agendas. The media are also critically dependent upon corporations for advertising. As a result, the news almost completely ignores corporate crime, as well as pro-labor and pro-consumer issues. Surveys of journalists show that the majority were personally liberal in the 1980s, but today they are centrists, with more conservatives than liberals on economic issues. However, no study has proven that they give their personal bias to the news. On the other hand, the political spectrum of pundits -- who do engage in noisy editorializing -- leans heavily to the right. The most extreme example of this is talk radio, where liberals are almost nonexistent. The Fairness Doctrine was designed to prevent one-sided bias in the media by requiring broadcasters to air opposing views. It once enjoyed the broad support of both liberals and conservatives. But now that the media have become increasingly owned and controlled by corporations, conservatives defiantly oppose the Fairness Doctrine. This is probably the best proof that the media's bias is conservative, not liberal.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 am

Unlike Fox News, Bloomberg, WSJ, Barron's, Washington Times, Drudge, NewsMax, National Review, Sierra News . . .

LMAO, nobody says Fox News is unbiased, but anyone w/any math skills whatsoever can see the imbalance, especially on the video/TV side(where the dems get most of their sheep). The whole reason for the creation of Fox and talk radio was due to the overwhelming dominance of liberal slant prior to their creation.

Oh...and the Fairness Doctrine.....c'mon, open your eyes.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am

talk radio, where liberals are almost nonexistent.

Not that they haven't tried.....and failed.

gule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: South Florida

Post by gule » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 pm

rip soon lib radio... sooner is better!

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm

If you're the free market capitalist you claim to be, you'd believe that the media reflects the preference of the audience. Anybody is free to tune into whatever media source they want. If more people tuned into Fox News (etc), there would be more of that type, just like the example you used for talk radio. It's not a conspiracy, it's the will of the people. People vote with their eyes...

"Thanks, just needed someone to confirm that all I'm doing is holding up a mirror to my fellow posters for them to see what it's like."

I wish you'd look into a mirror and see the barrel of a pistol pointing at you...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm

hedge wrote:If you're the free market capitalist you claim to be, you'd believe that the media reflects the preference of the audience. Anybody is free to tune into whatever media source they want. If more people tuned into Fox News (etc), there would be more of that type, just like the example you used for talk radio. It's not a conspiracy, it's the will of the people. People vote with their eyes...

Meanwhile, Fox News Channel has now reached 146 consecutive months at No. 1 in total viewers, in both total day and primetime, among cable news networks, and is for February the only cable network up in both total viewers and the demo compared to last February. In all of cable, Fox News ranked third in primetime (8-11 PM) – behind USA Network and History – and fifth for total day. Meanwhile, neither CNN or MSNBC were able to crack the top 20 in either daypart. CNN ranked 39th in prime and 34th in today day; MSNBC 26th in prime and 27th in total day. Every hour of the day, Fox News dominated CNN and MSNBC combined in total viewers. It also beat both networks in the news demo.

Soooo, what's keeping CNN on the air?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Old white people watch cable tv. Old white people tend to be conservative so FoxNews does well.

Young, more liberal people are using the net and newer forms of media. Bragging about dominance of the cable news viewership is increasingly like bragging about owning the AM Radio market. Kudos to Rush and Hannity for their strong influence over the 68-75 year old white man demographic.

No one under 50 listens to the fucking radio.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:40 pm

Hopey, changey.
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Old white people watch cable tv. Old white people tend to be conservative so FoxNews does well.

Young, more liberal people are using the net and newer forms of media. Bragging about dominance of the cable news viewership is increasingly like bragging about owning the AM Radio market. Kudos to Rush and Hannity for their strong influence over the 68-75 year old white man demographic.

How do the younger voters get their news during zombie apocalypse videogame marathons?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:26 am

Professor Tiger wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Old white people watch cable tv. Old white people tend to be conservative so FoxNews does well.

How do the younger voters get their news during zombie apocalypse videogame marathons?
Twitter, IG and FB posts on their smartphones.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:38 am

"Fox News dominated CNN and MSNBC combined in total viewers. It also beat both networks in the news demo."

Then why do you keep whining like a pussy about the domination of the liberal media? I mean, besides the fact that you're a pussy?

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am

Johnette's Daddy wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:

The Daily Show
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Historically, complaints of media bias are a useful and more discreet shorthand for a myriad of things the typical rwnj can't abide. Notables include
  • Godlessness
    red menace
    one world gubment
    international jewry
    mongrelization
    feminism
    abortion
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Mongerlization!

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:21 am

The Daily Show
Heh. All of the above.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:48 am

bluetick wrote:Historically, complaints of media bias are a useful and more discreet shorthand for a myriad of things the typical rwnj can't abide. Notables include
  • Godlessness
    red menace
    one world gubment
    international jewry
    mongrelization
    feminism
    abortion
I would remove international Jewry from that list. Conservatives - especially the evangelical ones - hold Jews in very high regard as God's first chosen people. These days, liberals tend to be more hostile toward Jews than conservatives. That's because most liberals apply their famous guilt/sympathy towards Palestinians and see Israel as oppressors.