Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:31 am

That's true, but I don't think the reputation of many universities stand or fall based on the strength or weakness of their AFAM departments...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 am

hedge wrote:That's true, but I don't think the reputation of many universities stand or fall based on the strength or weakness of their AFAM departments...
True but good schools tend not to have large blocks of classes where all students can do nothing and get an A. Easy classes are everywhere but it sounds like these took the idea of an easy class to an entirely new level. I just think that the argument that all the students got access to these phony classes is a bad defense.

Saint
All-American
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm

eCat wrote:
Saint wrote:The thing that I don't believe in what McCants said is the part about Williams telling him he could swap out a class. I doubt that any coach of any major sport at any college has the slightest notion of how the academic eligibility system works. There are entire departments set up within athletic departments of people whose only job is to help athletes do their schoolwork. I can't imagine that a coach would know anything more than a player is eligible or not. I could be wrong but that seems like a lot to expect a coach at the level or mentality of Williams to have any knowledge of.

However, I would imagine that McCants, or as Julius Hodge calls him "special buddy," probably was able to cut corners here and there.
so 1. We're supposed to believe that McCants made the Dean's List and 2. That Roy didn't know that or that if he did, he believed that McCants honestly earned it? With only 12 or 14 players , and we're talking about a starter on a national championship team and I'm supposed to believe that Roy Williams didn't know their academic standings, and more importantly , that McCants was dangerously close to academic suspension prior to him signing up for AFAM?

in his own words he said he knew when a player did well on academics and congratulated them for doing so.
that's because one of the academic advisors advised him that someone did well.

so, we're supposed to believe that a major coach knows the nuances of add/drop in college? Come on, really? You know there's no way that happened.

I'll say this again and it's what I've been saying since Augie first started in on this: what this whole situation has needed all along is context. It's real easy to shriek and point fingers and make a big deal out of something that seems to be under the table until you look at how everyone is doing it. Mary Willingham hasn't provided it. Jay Davis hasn't provided it. Dan Kane hasn't provided it. UNC hasn't provided it and the NCAA hasn't provided it and won't.

This is a end run by some academics at UNC who don't like the system and used UNC's trouble with the NCAA in football to attack. There is merit to what they're pointing out but there is no way on God's green earth that what I've read is going on at UNC is not just a part of how big-time college sports programs are conducting business today. There's way too much money on the table to think otherwise, even for those who insist on maintaining the fan view.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Saint wrote:
eCat wrote:
Saint wrote:The thing that I don't believe in what McCants said is the part about Williams telling him he could swap out a class. I doubt that any coach of any major sport at any college has the slightest notion of how the academic eligibility system works. There are entire departments set up within athletic departments of people whose only job is to help athletes do their schoolwork. I can't imagine that a coach would know anything more than a player is eligible or not. I could be wrong but that seems like a lot to expect a coach at the level or mentality of Williams to have any knowledge of.

However, I would imagine that McCants, or as Julius Hodge calls him "special buddy," probably was able to cut corners here and there.
so 1. We're supposed to believe that McCants made the Dean's List and 2. That Roy didn't know that or that if he did, he believed that McCants honestly earned it? With only 12 or 14 players , and we're talking about a starter on a national championship team and I'm supposed to believe that Roy Williams didn't know their academic standings, and more importantly , that McCants was dangerously close to academic suspension prior to him signing up for AFAM?

in his own words he said he knew when a player did well on academics and congratulated them for doing so.
that's because one of the academic advisors advised him that someone did well.

so, we're supposed to believe that a major coach knows the nuances of add/drop in college? Come on, really? You know there's no way that happened.

I'll say this again and it's what I've been saying since Augie first started in on this: what this whole situation has needed all along is context. It's real easy to shriek and point fingers and make a big deal out of something that seems to be under the table until you look at how everyone is doing it. Mary Willingham hasn't provided it. Jay Davis hasn't provided it. Dan Kane hasn't provided it. UNC hasn't provided it and the NCAA hasn't provided it and won't.

This is a end run by some academics at UNC who don't like the system and used UNC's trouble with the NCAA in football to attack. There is merit to what they're pointing out but there is no way on God's green earth that what I've read is going on at UNC is not just a part of how big-time college sports programs are conducting business today. There's way too much money on the table to think otherwise, even for those who insist on maintaining the fan view.

I'm not saying he knows add/drop, what I'm saying is he knew damn well McCants was on the verge of becoming ineligible on a team that was capable of winning the national championship, and he knew damn well McCants made the Deans list the next semester. And no one gives a damn if this is going on everywhere. UNC has been telling anyone that would listen it didn't go on there for as long as anyone can remember. That is why the swords are out and people want their ounce of blood. Hubris before the fall
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:45 pm

the dangerous part of this for UNC is that the more they fight it, the more voices join in the chorus for them to be punished. There was a time when UNC might have plea bargained their way out of this with a 1 years probation and no post season play - a slap on the wrist compared to what might happen.

Its become an all or nothing proposition where congress and national news media are demanding that something come of this. You have Memphis losing a final four because of 1 player not co-operating about taking an ACT test when he wasn't even enrolled at the college and UNC is sending an entire starting 5 thru bogus classes and retaining a national championship?

I can't imagine UNC winning this fight long term.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Cletus wrote:
hedge wrote:That's true, but I don't think the reputation of many universities stand or fall based on the strength or weakness of their AFAM departments...
True but good schools tend not to have large blocks of classes where all students can do nothing and get an A. Easy classes are everywhere but it sounds like these took the idea of an easy class to an entirely new level. I just think that the argument that all the students got access to these phony classes is a bad defense.
Well, I'm not saying any of this is Carolina's finest hour, just saying that I don't believe the shennanigans in the AFAM department reflect poorly on, e.g., the chemisty department or the medical school (etc). It's a black eye to the university, yes, but I don't think what happened in the AFAM department is any reflection on most (if any) of the other departments at Carolina. But again, it's not something anybody is proud of, either, including myself, but at the same time, I'm not going to run howling down the streets like some NCState fans screaming that any and every graduate of UNC, irregardless of major or school, got a bogus education, b/c that's just not true...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:23 pm

"That is why the swords are out and people want their ounce of blood."

Actually I think you mean "pound of flesh". See, I learned that at Carolina!

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:10 pm

SOMEONE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT NEUROSCIENCE/BRAIN COMPUTER INTERFACE (Philadelphia)

compensation: $50

I have a very difficult but interesting task for someone who is knowledgeable about neuroscience and brain computer interface devices. I believe I have a microchip inserted in me by the CIA. For now, just go with this premise that this is in fact the case, and please don't question it and say I am crazy or delusional. I have done some research and realized that this technology is very plausible. The reason they inserted it in me is because I also have a bonafide spirit possession in me, something they know and can detect and prove through the very technology they have in my head. This is why they put it there. To study this spirit phenomenon. I know this also sounds crazy and like a delusion but please also accept that this premise is true. I can send you an audio file of some of the sounds the spirit makes in my abdomen.

The people studying me have started to give me various muscle flinches at specific times that correlate to certain cognitive brain states. The twitches are quite gruesome and bothersome and very obvious to an observer. What I want to try to do is somehow prove that this cannot possibly be a neurological disorder causing the flinches, and instead must be some sort of imbedded source of power being controlled telemetrically. I'm not exactly sure how to do this. This is why I am asking you. You may have to connect me to wires or scan my head with a bug sweeper or something like that. I don't know. I'm asking you to be creative. Maybe you can come up with some idea for how to do this.

I can pay you a sum of $50 for this work. I know this may not be commensurate with the amount of work you would have to put into this project, but you would be really helping me and possibly learn something about the field and the way the government uses this technology. I am asking you desperately to please help me because what they are doing to me is becoming more and more torturous.

Thanks You

I love when crazies post ads on Craigslist.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:11 pm

You should respond, and go to his apartment with a metal detector and some aluminum foil.
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:12 pm

And a gun.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:48 pm

He's relatively articulate, though. He has that going for him.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:25 am

Relative to who? Kathaksung?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Stan Van Gundy (of all people) on McCants's rant (click on part one interview, around the 1:10 mark):

http://www.theticketmiami.com/podcast_lebatard.aspx

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:21 pm

how would they investigate it? UNC will not release any information.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:46 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I enjoy seeing Carolina's rivals make hay with this, but I do not like hearing about someone who skated around doing what's right wag his finger and tattle.
This bugs the shit out of me - you were in the middle of the shit that went down - keep your damn mouth shut about it now.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Bitches that snitches get stitches...

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 am

75% shooting for san antone in the first half. when ginobli banked in the three you knew miami was probalby toast. finish them off san antone--they were in the same situation last year and lost it. leonard will be the difference one way or another

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Dean Smith: The original players-first coach

By John Calipari on June 22, 2014

http://www.coachcal.com/30368/2014/06/o ... rst-coach/

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:42 pm

hedge wrote:Dean Smith: The original players-first coach

By John Calipari on June 22, 2014

http://www.coachcal.com/30368/2014/06/o ... rst-coach/
Kentucky fans respond to Calipari's assessment of Smith

Owlman