Post by sardis » Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:04 am

Pitt is Shitt

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: College Football

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:22 am

aTm wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:46 am I dont think I said anything remotely controversial. Its so obvious as to be evident in the AP rankings you yourself were commenting on.

Pittsburgh has played Kent State, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Youngstown State, North Carolina, and Cal. None of these teams received a single vote for being in the AP top 25, and Pitt is barely squeaking by most of them, arguably they are one of the luckiest teams in college football so far, rather than one of the best.

Alabama beat #2 Georgia. Their two losses are to #7 Tennessee and #25 Vanderbilt. They beat another team that is receiving votes (South Carolina). They also demolished Wisconsin 42-10 which is a comparable team to the best team that Pitt barely beat (Cincinnati).

Alabama has only played 7 games and Pitt only 6, so w'ere talking about the majority of games on each teams schedule just not being comparable competition AT ALL. This is an egregious comparison where one team has played almost all their games against good teams and the other is barely beating shit teams. Counting losses doesnt work. Alabama would be 6-0 with Pitt's schedule. Pitt would be 3-4 or 4-3 against Alabama's schedule.
Ok.

Tell me, if just 60 hours from now, Pitt squeaks by a 5-1 Syracuse by a point or two and goes to 7-0, does any of this analysis on your part, change? Does your impression of Pitt change? I would say, no. I would say, you would still feel the same way about Pitt, that they still deserve to be ranked behind a two loss team.

It is better to be good rather than lucky since you can always be good but not always lucky. But at a certain point (I would argue we are already at that point), if a team keeps winning and not losing, its not just being lucky anymore aTm.

In the grand scheme of things (maybe for the first time ever) none of this really matters. None of it. If Pitt keeps winning, eventually they will mathematically be guaranteed a spot in the ACC championship to play Miami no matter where they are ranked. And if they beat Miami, they will be in the playoffs and they will be given a first round bye, whether you or I or any of the shamefully ignorant pollsters think they deserve it or not.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Oct 22, 2024 10:43 am

If Pitt barely beats Syracuse its just more of the same. Sure its another good data point, but no its not an impression changing game. If Pitt played and beat Georgia loke Alabama has yeah thatd be something
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dave23 » Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Thank you…
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:43 pm

All of this is part of the problem with the traditional polls. Using them to determine bowls was always stupid. It's not how they do it in any other sports which have similar schedule imbalance. Who your wins are against is infinitely more informative than how many losses you have. The problem with polls is that the journalists and coaches that vote arent trying to re-evaluate based on all of the information every week. Instead there is an assumption inherent in the vote that what a voter submitted last week was correct. So lets say someone at the start of this year has #1 Team A and #2 Team B and both remain undefeated for 5 weeks. That pollster in the vast majority of the cases will still have the same top 2. But those two wont be ranked based on what they did in the first 5 weeks of the season, they are just ranked based on what the pollster thought before any games were even played. If Team A loses, then they will drop a certain number of spots and only then will Team B move up, even if Team B looked better the entire season before that.

This kind of bias is rampant in the voter polls, and leads to a mentality that you dont drop until you lose, and teams that dont lose move up as teams lose in front of them. This "ranking" by losses, has always been totally wrong.

The College Football Playoff is not decided by a poll, it is decided by a selection committee who discuss every team and make a decision collectively, like basketball. Its not a hundred votes that have idiotic opinions averaged into it like a poll. Most of the "surprises" that we've seen the committee make are because the committee is actually trying to evaluate who is better based on the results. So teams with better wins and harder schedules are getting ranked above teams with fewer losses. There will be multiple teams that make the playoffs with 2 and even 3 losses this year and going forward.

For example, unless someone gets totally blown out, I predict that you wont see a team being penalized in the playoff selection for losing a conference championship game. In the past teams have dropped because other teams that won their conference moved up in front of them, but you haven't and won't see like an SEC team that is sitting at home jump in front of the SEC runner up just because they lost a game the other team didn't even have to play in. You won't get an advantage just based on having one less loss than a conference runner up, and you shouldn't. It'd be dumb.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Oct 22, 2024 2:07 pm

Syracuse isn't good either. So, beating them shouldn't do that much for Pitt.

It's basketball season.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:34 pm

Why did you lie, IB?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:41 pm

He’s not lying on purpose…he just doesn’t comprehend…
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:41 pm

All this nonsense over Pitt? PITT?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:27 pm

I am no Pitt fan. My stake in this is purely ACC related. The ACC had it's undefeated champion last year left out of the playoffs, maybe for good reason. But that was disgusting none the less. The way the new system is set up, the power 4 champs getting automatic byes the first week, that will never happen again (as well it shouldn't.)

I'm a math guy. I like math. And I like data. And "losses" are a perfectly good mathematical datapoint to use to determine who does NOT belong in the playoffs. We have to use something objective. The most valuable player of the team getting injured and out for the rest of the season (or in FSU's case last year, the playoffs they didn't get to play in) is a subjective measurement. A bunch of pro-SEC guys on a college football message board with sour grapes that their conference is the only conference without an undefeated team in it and telling me not to use losses as any kind of measurement, is also subjective. There is nothing more objective than a loss.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:36 pm

"The ACC had it's undefeated champion last year left out of the playoffs, maybe for good reason. But that was disgusting none the less."

Something done for good reason is disgusting? That's like saying murdering you would be disgusting. You say you like math, the only disgusting that happened to FSU last year was getting beaten 63-3 by Georgia, yet you think they should've been in the playoff? You want objective? You are objectively a moron...

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:25 pm

hedge wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:36 pm "The ACC had it's undefeated champion last year left out of the playoffs, maybe for good reason. But that was disgusting none the less."

Something done for good reason is disgusting? That's like saying murdering you would be disgusting. You say you like math, the only disgusting that happened to FSU last year was getting beaten 63-3 by Georgia, yet you think they should've been in the playoff? You want objective? You are objectively a moron...
That FSU team that played Georgia was not the team that played the regular season in 2023. That is the team that is playing THIS year. That game was all FSU freshmen playing Georgia.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:49 pm

Texas bring a bad rep to the SEC

you're doing something when the SEC is like "WTF is wrong with these guys?"
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Oct 23, 2024 4:30 pm

Syracuse head coach Ben Schwartzwalder said it best:
In Texas, football is a religion.
That IS their faith.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:43 am

alright Pitt

I don't think many (any?) people here will be watching your game but prove it tonight even if winning apparently will not move the needle for some of these posters. It will move it for me.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Oct 24, 2024 12:51 pm

They can't hear you.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:22 pm

innocentbystander wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:43 am alright Pitt

I don't think many (any?) people here will be watching your game but prove it tonight even if winning apparently will not move the needle for some of these posters. It will move it for me.
I'd like to move a needle filled with Zyklon-B into your jugular vein...

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:54 pm

A

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Oct 24, 2024 6:28 pm

hedge wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:22 pm
innocentbystander wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:43 am alright Pitt

I'd like to move a needle filled with Zyklon-B into your jugular vein...
You breathe that, not shoot it.