Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm

sardis wrote:From tick's article:

"1.5 millions US citizens will declare bankruptcy, and a new study suggests that over 60 percent of those individuals will be brought under due to medical bills." That's 900,000 people, .3% of the population. Kinda makes the "a third of Americans are one serious illness away from financial ruin" comment a bit over the top. How do you get that figure anyway? Is that any different than me saying that "100% of Americans are one major car crash away from death?". Well, at least you are not as over the top as Dr. Steffie of Harvard quoted in the article, “Unless you’re a Warren Buffett or Bill Gates, you’re one illness away from financial ruin in this country,”

She'd make a great Obama speechwriter.

LOL It's not over the top at all. 15% of the population has no insurance and another 20-30% have grossly inadequate insurance. So you're .3% actually is 1% of the at-risk population...that actually does get sick and does experience financial ruin. And that's just one year's worth. And this doesn't account for the people who've had their savings or retirement or college fund wiped out yet didn't file.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:05 pm

"100% of Americans are one major car crash away from death?"

You are one post away from a sassing...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:46 pm

bluetick wrote:No comment on WillardMittCare in MA? You know...health delivery brainchild of your favorite pol of all time?

nah, I guess you wouldn't want to comment on that lmao
little boy

that is what you are you know, just a little boy. your posts here are not worthy of any respect or common decency because they are rhetoric filled nonsense that uses silly data points (that mean nothing) in order to draw an opinion that you happen to share. you need to use meaningful data in order to make a valid point

As far as the Massachusetts Health Care mandate (signed by Governor Mitt Romney) he vetoed all the silly, dental aspects of that bill, but his vetoes counted for nothing since the all Democrat state house on Beacon Hill just overrode all his vetoes. The state reps made that law, Romney was really just a spectator. And if you lived in Massachusetts you would have understood that.

But getting to my point, lets look at the data. What makes Massachusetts so very different than so many other states in the Union? What important data point matters the most when considering this insurance "mandate?" THAT'S RIGHT! Massachusetts (as a state) has the highest per capita percentage of college graduates in the country. You know what else it has? It has a whole lot of technical jobs and professional employment that compete with one another for those educated people. And cash is usually the thing they want the most (because cash is king) but you know what comes second (something most important for heads of households?) THAT'S RIGHT! A very good health insurance plan is something people seek out when they can name their own terms for employment.

Tick, did you know that at the moment that my favorite politician signed that bill into law in Massachusetts mandating insurance from the "free riders" that there was almost NO free riders in Massachusetts? 92% of the citizens of the state already had health insurance (highest percentage of state residents insured in the country.) That is what you get when you have a lot of professional jobs for highly educated and technical people. So for 92% of the people, the law meant nothing. Unlike the ACA, they could actually KEEP their insurance. The state wasn't trying to GAME the 8% of those free riders into subsidizing women's borth control or the Massachusetts elderly. The elderly had already gotten sick of the snow and moved to Florida. Mitt just didn't think it was right that a 27 year old invincible who was making $34/hour working a temp job at Fidelity could break his leg skiing and go to the MGH emergency room and demand treatment for free. Absent from Mitt's thinking was that this 27 year old temp had sufficent earning power to pay that emergency room bill.... eventually. (Yes I was an invincible once without insurance and I paid cash when I used a hospital emergency room. I was square with the house.) Mitt just wanted these guys to carry some catestrophic policies.

There is NOTHING about the ACA that requires the young to buy catastrophic policies. Oh no. An invincible paying a health insurance premium payment smaller than your dick on a catastrophic policy with a $10,000 deductable provides almost NO PROFIT to subsidize those who would actually put in claims (it can ONLY prevent the medical bankruptcies, the very thing you were just bitching about.) So the ACA can't ALLOW that plan to be kept by young people because.... it doesn't help throw any money in the pot. The President wants to spread the money around! This ACA is just another ponzi scheme, wealth transfer, to make irresponsible people dependant on government. That is Obamacare. That is NOT Romneycare.

... no I repeat my earlier statement, go fuck yourself.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:57 pm

"(signed by Governor Mitt Romney)"

Why have you dropped the "Willard" when you refer to Romney? Disappointment that he lost? The realization (better late than never) that it is a name mostly associated with a cinematic rat? Or just laziness?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Chris Christie - last hope for conservatives?
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:17 pm

When I read IBs posts all I hear is Charlie Browns teacher.

"When" being the key word.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

WHITE HOUSE Lying About Lies: Why Credibility Matters to Obama
http://www.nationaljournal.com/white-ho ... a-20131105
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Looks like it will probably be Clinton vs. Christie in 2016.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Those will be some great debates. Both are sharp and debate well, aggressively.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I hope it's Christie on the GOP ticket ; I've always admired that guy.

I'll be voting for the pig-ankled harridan, though.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Shocking.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:55 pm

That's like me saying that I hope Bama wins Saturday. You're a blind partisan, Tick. Your bias is at toe levels.
— Abraham Lincoln

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:21 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:Your bias is at toe levels.
Unlike toe I only have a mono ass.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:33 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:That's like me saying that I hope Bama wins Saturday.
I'm thinking you hope Texas wins Saturday. heh

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 pm

I don't think Saban will go to Texas. If he does, we'll be okay. I'd simply thank him for what he's done and move on.
— Abraham Lincoln

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:56 pm

You may be right. AA - he probably will stay put.

Still - his agent Jimmy Sexton said Texas was the only team in play. Story just came out from the AP an hour ago. Said Saban was feeling "special pressure" at his current post.

AlabamAlum
Legend

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 pm

I saw it. It's nothing new.
— Abraham Lincoln

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:56 am

bluetick wrote:

And look toe...I know charts and stats aren't your bag - feel free to hang back whilst I share this stuff with some others. Try a crossword or maybe do the Jumble.

Fair enough, then explain to us unwashed the correlation or lack thereof, in the so-called demand for health insurance, Obammer's numero uno raison d'etre, and his downward spiral in approval ratings......remember, the shutdown was the Rebubs/tea party's fault.

President Barack Obama's nearing his all-time low approval rating in Gallup polling.

According to Gallup's latest daily tracking poll, which was conducted Saturday through Monday and released Tuesday afternoon, 39% of Americans approve of the job the President's doing in the White House, with 53% saying they disapprove.

Obama's all-time low approval rating in Gallup polling was 38%, which he briefly sank to in 2011, and his disapproval rating rose to a record 54% that same year.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 am

Look reeeeaaalllllly close, who's name is not mentioned?

You've likely seen it a thousand times before. "My parents went to wherever and all I got was this lousy T-shirt." As clichéd as this slogan may be, it's a characterization that many feel applies perfectly to the Fed, which has spent trillions of dollars restoring Wall Street to pre-crisis levels while doing almost nothing to improve the standing of 95% of the population that resides on Main Street.

"Main Street is a long way from back," says Simon Baker, the CEO of Baker Ave. Asset Management, in the attached video. "If the question is, 'Is Main Street happy?' I don't think so," Baker protests.

He refers to the Fed's ongoing stimulus efforts as "a massive, $3.7 trillion redistribution of wealth" that has only benefited banks and financial firms, as well as the wealthiest 5% of the country that holds real assets such as stocks and real estate.

"They're the ones benefiting," he says, "not Main Street."

Baker is not the only financial industry player currently questioning the merits of so-called quantitative easing at a time when the Fed's $85 billion a month (or $1 trillion annual) bond buying program is about to sunset.

For Baker, there is no stronger evidence than the correlation seen between the rise of the Fed's QE spending and the S&P 500's four year jaunt to record highs.

"(QE) is not encouraging banks to do more loans, and it's not encouraging people to hire more folks," Baker says. "So it's not helping Main Street," where he points to flat wages and stagnant wealth as the primary indicators of the widening gap between the super-rich and the rest of us.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 am

toe, look at your post. It's all about you-know-who in the White House. In your current state of mind, you could care less about the sorry state of our U.S. healthcare system. Seriously - opramacare hasn't gotten off the ground yet...our problems started even before he was born in Hawaii (allegedly).

At least take a peek at this. A quick read on how the fuck-up began three generations ago. It makes no mention of your boy Ted Cruz, I promise.

Accidents of History Created U.S. Health System
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =114045132