All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: College Football

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:47 pm

eCat wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2024 7:50 pm
damn right eCat

Oklahoma fired the head coach
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by sardis » Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:30 am

Depends on what's more important to them, winning or money?

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:49 am

No, Oklahoma’s head coach fired his offensive coordinator
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Oct 21, 2024 10:40 am

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:04 pm

You're doing a helluva job, Brownie...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:31 pm

aTm wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:49 am No, Oklahoma’s head coach fired his offensive coordinator
ah, thank you for correcting that.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:39 pm

Oregon is the new #1. Georgia is up to #2.

BYU up to #11 and Indiana up to #13

Alabama is ranked ahead of Pittsburgh. That is shamefully ignorant of the pollsters.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:09 pm

Pittsburgh is not better than Alabama. Counting losses is a stupid way to evaluate teams. Alabama would also be 6-0 vs that schedule and has played probably 5 teams that are better than Pittsburgh’s best win (Cincinnati I guess?)
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Oct 21, 2024 10:23 pm

aTm wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 8:09 pm Pittsburgh is not better than Alabama. Counting losses is a stupid way to evaluate teams. Alabama would also be 6-0 vs that schedule and has played probably 5 teams that are better than Pittsburgh’s best win (Cincinnati I guess?)
Yeah, uh, pretty sure Pitt would fucking smoke Vanderbilt. I mean for fuck's sake, Mizzou beat Vanderbilt. Can't say that about Alabama now can we?

We are going to know everything we need to know about Pitt (if they are for real or not) just 74 hours from now. We learned that about BYU last Friday.

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Mon Oct 21, 2024 10:39 pm

Missouri and Vanderbilt are both better than Pitt.
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:24 pm

Dave23 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2024 10:39 pm Missouri and Vanderbilt are both better than Pitt.
(nodding)

Really? You don't say? How about, say..... Georgia State? Are they also better than Pitt?

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:35 pm

Now you're just being silly…
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:47 pm

So are you.

Dave23
Senior

Post by Dave23 » Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:14 am

No, I’m right.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:50 am

Dave, we both know Georgia State would get stomped by Pitt. And yet, they beat Vanderbilt, a team you say is better than Pitt. So yes, if I am silly then so are you.

I'm not saying Pitt is for real. I don't think we have enough information yet. We WILL have much more information in just 72 hours. Syracuse will tell us everything. What I am saying is putting Pitt behind a two loss team that lost to Vanderbilt, is ridiculous and shameful. We could write off the Vanderbilt loss as a one-off had they not gone and lost again to Tennessee. Alabama doesn't have it this year. You don't beat Georgia and then lose to both Vandy and Tennessee and be taken as a serious team. Serious teams play consistently.

Now we DO know that both BYU and Indiana are for real. They are serious teams, they play consistently. Could either of them beat Oregon? No, probably not. But they could both beat Alabama. Or lose to them if Alabama plays like they did vs Georgia.

Its a fascinating year. The powerhouses are not powerhouses this year, not like we expected. And looking at Oregon's remaining schedule, it wouldn't shock me if they remain number one all the way until December. I don't see any losses there Dave. And since Miami and Pitt do not play one another (and BYU played all their best opponents already) then Oregon may not be the only unbeaten team late into the season.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 22, 2024 7:41 am

So Alabama is not a serious team, both BYU and Indiana are for real, and Alabama could beat both of them. Got it. I think...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:40 am

Pitt isn't that good. How do I know? I watched them struggle to put away a shitty ass UNC team.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:46 am

I dont think I said anything remotely controversial. Its so obvious as to be evident in the AP rankings you yourself were commenting on.

Pittsburgh has played Kent State, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Youngstown State, North Carolina, and Cal. None of these teams received a single vote for being in the AP top 25, and Pitt is barely squeaking by most of them, arguably they are one of the luckiest teams in college football so far, rather than one of the best.

Alabama beat #2 Georgia. Their two losses are to #7 Tennessee and #25 Vanderbilt. They beat another team that is receiving votes (South Carolina). They also demolished Wisconsin 42-10 which is a comparable team to the best team that Pitt barely beat (Cincinnati).

Alabama has only played 7 games and Pitt only 6, so w'ere talking about the majority of games on each teams schedule just not being comparable competition AT ALL. This is an egregious comparison where one team has played almost all their games against good teams and the other is barely beating shit teams. Counting losses doesnt work. Alabama would be 6-0 with Pitt's schedule. Pitt would be 3-4 or 4-3 against Alabama's schedule.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:51 am

Frankly, the AP Rankings are giving Pitt the benefit of the doubt because they are undefeated, rather than there being pollsters who are "shamefully ignorant" because they are below some teams with losses like Alabama

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:57 am

Computer rankings, which only care about scores, margin of victory or ELO rankings against all teams you play, and give no fucks about the reputation of the names on jerseys, or what conference you're in, etc, generally have Pitt ranked in low 20's or 30+ and Alabama ranked in the top 10-15.