Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:12 am

Ron Mexico wrote:Even so, I don't really feel sorry for those kids because it wasn't exactly a secret that something big might be coming down re the UNC program well before signing day back in February.

true, anybody that fell for butch/unc's schtick deserves what they get. also nothing about this particular issue is illegal, unc is simply acting in what it perceives to be it's best interest. nothing illegal just kind of shady imo.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 am

I have no idea why UNC released Butch when they did. I think the mist likely explanation is they found something in an e-mail or through their own investigation or possibly something that he owned up to in interviews with admin or the NCAA.

The transfer issue seems unlikely. There is no profit in pissing off the recruits and current players at this point. If you do, you run the risk of making a home grown secret witness or informant.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:16 am

chances are 90%+ that any player requesting a release before entering school
Really?
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:18 am

most likely reason butch was fired now is that the new BOG wanted him fired.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 am

Owlman wrote:
chances are 90%+ that any player requesting a release before entering school
Really?
yes. AA and I have both posted instances where transfers were given including by unc. why would you think otherwise?

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 am

But it is a choice, not required. Therefore, the point still holds. The timing of the firing had nothing to do with transfers.
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Owlman wrote:But it is a choice, not required. Therefore, the point still holds. The timing of the firing had nothing to do with transfers.

there is a brick wall here that I cannot penetrate, and rather than batter myself senseless against it I retire from the field.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

I agree, but that brick wall is in your dislike of UNC so much that you are assuming the worse when their are much more plausible explanations.
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm obviously not the only one who thinks this way.....

"They have retained attorneys to explore legal action against Chancellor Holden Thorp, citing misrepresentation, possible fraud and unfair trade practices by firing football coach Butch Davis a week before practice started."

"The chancellor has done a lot of talking, and our clients relied on what the chancellor said publicly," Brown said. "They believed him. But he misled a lot of folks. And the chancellor"s bait-and-switch with Coach Davis has hurt a lot of people. They never would have made this kind of investment had the chancellor been straight up from the beginning."

"Very few coaches in America would have had the kind of drawing power that Coach Davis had and has to raise that kind of money for that kind of project in a down economy. It now appears that they used Butch"s name to raise the money, and then dumped him once the money was raised."

The Public Records Request is designed to elicit information on whether Thorp purposely waited to terminate Davis until after he had the money for the project.

The attorneys working the case, all UNC alumni, will file this request sometime this week.

The request will demand correspondence between Thorp and other individuals, including Board of Trustee members, Board of Governor members and other influential people, such as Art Chansky, Jim Heavner, and former UNC Presidents William Friday and Erskine Bowles.

"We"re handling this matter free of charge because of our love for Carolina, and our concern about these investors who were misled," Brown said. "We intend to get to the bottom of what really happened."

Attorneys handling this action on behalf of investors include Brown, of Charlotte, Matthew J. Dixon of Elizabethtown, J. Scott Hampton of Greensboro, Mark A. Johnson and Ray Smith III.

http://northcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1248757

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Isn't this something totally different from, they waited to fire Butch to prevent students from transferring?
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:03 pm

they waited to fire Butch until they got the money for the renovations. sounds pretty damn close to me. ymmv.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Too much UNC football, not enough A&M hoops on this thread.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 pm

aTm wrote:Too much UNC football, not enough A&M hoops on this thread.
I could repost my award winning Gillispie series.
THE OG SSG

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 pm

AugustWest wrote:they waited to fire Butch until they got the money for the renovations. sounds pretty damn close to me. ymmv.
except this wasn't your assertion. You claimed they did it to prevent players from transferring.
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:40 pm

now I know you're just trolling.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Not me. I just think your anti-UNC crusade went a little too far.
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:52 pm

"do you really think your football program is the dirtiest in football, but your basketball, (a sport you really care about) is squeaky clean?"

That's pretty stupid even by your standards, Auggie. You're basically saying if a school's football program is dirty, their basketball program must be as well. What about the fencing program? Your logic is flawed, to say the least...

"Not sure why I am defending UNC. I really am somewhat indifferent to them."

Heh, I've been laughing about this for awhile. Even a guy who has no dog in the fight can clearly recognize Auggie's fucked up bitterness and hatred as being the 90% of the "reason" UNC is so bad. Hey, what happened, happened. We'll deal with it and take our punishment and move on, but Auggie will never move on, he'll be sitting here accusing UNC of being behind 9/11 simply b/c we got caught doing what every other D-1 program, including his Wolfpack, does to some extent. I'd love to look at all the papers turned in by all the Wolfpaick football players over the past 2-3 years. I'm sure not a single one of them ever plagiarized or received improper help from a tutor or got favorable grading from a teacher simply b/c they were football players. Nope, it's obviously only evil UNC that tolerates (indeed, fosters, according to Auggie, at least) that sort of thing. LMAO, the bitterness and hatred of State fans towards UNC knows no bounds. Well, I guess when your athletics suck as badly as State's, you have to substitute something for excitement about your own school. Most State fans hate UNC far more than they love NCState. Pretty pitiful...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:57 pm

"I agree, but that brick wall is in your dislike of UNC so much that you are assuming the worse when their are much more plausible explanations."

LMAO. Again, even to people with no dog in the fight, the bitterness of State fans towards everything to do with UNC is as palpable as the stench of dogshit in a diving bell...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm

This guy (Norwood Teague) is on the short list for new AD. Looks like DS's kind of guy. Actually, I've me the guy, his fambly has a beach house a block away from ours. Maybe I can invite him over to play Scrabble with me and my mom...

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:05 pm

You know you can play online scrabble on pogo.com.

I challenge you to a game, hedge!
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.