Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Saint » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:31 am

State fans will still swear UNC is cheating this year, next year and the year after. it's what they do.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 am

depends on your definition of "cheat" Butch and co. lied to recruits telling them that the ncaa "review" was nothing and would be over soon with no repercussions to unc. thorp has been saying for over a year that butch was his man and his job was secure. as soon as the recruits got on campus and attended classes, and the money was pledged to pay for the kfc renovations he fired butch. it may not be "cheating" but it sure is unethical. unc still hasnt released e-mails or butch's phone records. why havent they done that if there's nothing there? we'll see if unc loses anybody to academics this year. if they dont something is still up.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

TheBigMook
Henchman #1
College Hoops Affiliation: Cincinnati
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by TheBigMook » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 am

Why would it be fishy, I thought you said UNC had horrible standards and the A's and B's they dished out to all their students weren't worth shit. Why wouldn't a bunch of semi-dunderhead athletes manage to pull C's in such an environment?
THE OG SSG

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:02 am

AugustWest wrote:depends on your definition of "cheat" Butch and co. lied to recruits telling them that the ncaa "review" was nothing and would be over soon with no repercussions to unc. thorp has been saying for over a year that butch was his man and his job was secure. as soon as the recruits got on campus and attended classes, and the money was pledged to pay for the kfc renovations he fired butch. it may not be "cheating" but it sure is unethical. unc still hasnt released e-mails or butch's phone records. why havent they done that if there's nothing there? we'll see if unc loses anybody to academics this year. if they dont something is still up.
Your timeline doesn't make sense. What does being on campus mean? Once they signed a letter of intent, they can't leave anyway without permission from the school. There was no need to wait for the recruits to get on campus.
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 am

Why wouldn't a bunch of semi-dunderhead athletes manage to pull C's in such an environment?

have you seen some of the morons Butch was bringing in over there? even with all the legal help available not all of those guys are capable or willing to do even remedial college work. I'm sure we have some too which is why we lose a couple of players to academics every year. unc just doesnt.

owlman if you are released from you LOI before attending classes you dont have to sit out a year. once you attend class you do. plus it's a lot harder to leave a place than to never go in the first place.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 am

State fans will still swear UNC is cheating this year, next year and the year after. it's what they do.

tell you what stu. when unc stops cheating we'll stop accusing them of it. deal?

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:17 am

if you are released from you LOI before attending classes you dont have to sit out a year
You do realize the problem in your statement, don't you? It's the big word "If." UNC is under no obligation to release their students when they fire the coach and most don't. If the Athletic Director is as sneaky as you make him out to be in timing the firing, than he would be bad enough just to do what most universities do and not release them from their LOI with the coaches firing in the Spring.
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:29 am

I'm under the impression that most do conditionally release players (particularly incoming freshmen) due to a coaching change. why would you force someone to stay at your university that tells you they dont want to be there? unc has or had a kid that's gotten a release three times. twice from unc.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 am

USC did, but it is one of the things ESPN talk radio hosts complain about a lot. It doesn't matter though in this case, because if he were as evil as you've painted him out to be, he wouldn't have released them anyway. Therefore, the timing of the firing wasn't determined by the prospect of keeping students.
Last edited by Owlman on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad is my hero still.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:33 am

And with sanctions, the NCAA will release kids from the LOI.

That happened in 2001 with Bama. Fran made an impassioned speech about loyalty and honoring commitments and all the players stayed. Of course, the next year, the douchebag bolted for aTm.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

Hold the rope
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 am

AlabamAlum wrote:And with sanctions, the NCAA will release kids from the LOI.

That happened in 2001 with Bama. Fran made an impassioned speech about loyalty and honoring commitments and all the players stayed. Of course, the next year, the douchebag bolted for aTm.
Has UNC been sanctioned yet (to release kids from their LOI)? If they released Butch in the spring, would sanctions have occurred earlier?
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 am

unc has their hearing w/ the ncaa in october. sanctions will be released sometime there after. the ncaa allowed underclassmen to transfer from usc without having to sit a year. we'll see if they do the same at unc.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 am

AugustWest wrote:unc has their hearing w/ the ncaa in october. sanctions will be released sometime there after. the ncaa allowed underclassmen to transfer from usc without having to sit a year. we'll see if they do the same at unc.
Which again reiterates my point that the timing of Butch's firing had nothing to do with the transfer of players.
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 am

if unc fired butch after signing day, but before the players arrived on campus the players could request and most likely receive conditional releases from their loi's and they could go to another school and play immediately. however since the players have all attended classes at unc if they request and are granted a release by unc before the sanctions are handed down they have to sit out a year. it has everything to do with timing.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:05 am

there is the possibility that thope intended to keep butch right up until he saw what is in butch's 216 phone records. if that is the case then why fire butch without cause and agree to pay him up to $2.7mil?

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:06 am

if unc fired butch after signing day, but before the players arrived on campus the players could request and most likely receive conditional releases from their loi's and they could go to another school and play immediately.
No. It's up to UNC at that point to release them at that point. Why would they do so if they are so evil?
Last edited by Owlman on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dad is my hero still.

Ron Mexico
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Prairie View A&M

Post by Ron Mexico » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 am

Even so, I don't really feel sorry for those kids because it wasn't exactly a secret that something big might be coming down re the UNC program well before signing day back in February.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 am

Not sure why I am defending UNC. I really am somewhat indifferent to them.

Now PV Panthers on the other hand...............
My Dad is my hero still.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

who said unc is evil?

schools release players all the time. chances are 90%+ that any player requesting a release before entering school will be given one. which part of that arent you understanding?