Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by sardis » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:40 pm

You would think that the news of elitist shitbaggery like this would arouse the "Exiters" even more.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bilderberg-201 ... ss-1563898

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Bklyn » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Personally, I don't see Brexit happening. It would be a headache for the UK banking industry, but the impacts to external service partners has been totally "priced in."

I've stopped concerning myself, from a positional perspective, on whether it happens or not because

1. I don't see it going down and
2. even if it did, it would not bother impact my functionality significantly

Either way, I think this is playing out exactly like the Scottish sovereignty referendum did.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 am

South Carolina is my next stop. Screw the other Carolina. Buncha weirdos

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:26 am

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:45 am

That judge is a fucking disgrace.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:59 am

EFZ

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:06 am

The US/Saudi deal that colored relations over the last 8 presidents, and counting...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/ ... ebt-secret

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:45 am

The next time the guy competes in a swim meet, I hope someone throws in a toaster.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:00 pm

when does no mean no between to adults who are both too drunk to even remember what happened?

I'm not saying that's the case here but I cannot submit that a woman who got shitfaced to the point she can't even remember the assault is to be held blameless in the act.

again, I didn't read the details of this entire story but I also see snippets that makes me shake my head - so I'm looking at it from an uneducated and generic view, but we've all made jokes about waking up next to a strange woman the next morning after a night of drinking. In 1985 that wasn't rape, it was just embarrassing.

I made silly faces, let my guard down, and drank liquor too fast not factoring in that my tolerance had significantly lowered since college.
I was horrified. That’s when I learned I had called him that night in my blackout, left an incomprehensible voicemail, that we had also spoken on the phone, but I was slurring so heavily he was scared for me.
The night after it happened, he said he didn’t know my name, said he wouldn’t be able to identify my face in a lineup, didn’t mention any dialogue between us, no words, only dancing and kissing. Dancing is a cute term; was it snapping fingers and twirling dancing, or just bodies grinding up against each other in a crowded room? I wonder if kissing was just faces sloppily pressed up against each other? When the detective asked if he had planned on taking me back to his dorm, he said no. When the detective asked how we ended up behind the dumpster, he said he didn’t know. He admitted to kissing other girls at that party, one of whom was my own sister who pushed him away.

Its not that I don't think this guy is guilty, and its not that I don't think he deserves punishment,

But you got fucking hammered to the point you blacked out at a party where other people were drunk. And where was your sister protecting you against this predator who she had already pushed away?
Alcohol is not an excuse. Is it a factor? Yes. But alcohol was not the one who stripped me, fingered me, had my head dragging against the ground, with me almost fully naked. Having too much to drink was an amateur mistake that I admit to, but it is not criminal.
yes actually it is, its called public intoxication. Its discouraged because it leads to just these types of incidents. Its exactly why your parents tell you not to be the "drunk girl" at the party.

its not like this kid roofied her, she put herself in a position where she doesn't even know if she gave consent or not. She just assumes she wouldn't have, because afterall, she isn't the type of girl that would go to a party and get blackout drunk.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:20 pm

You cant pull a blackout drunk girl behind a dumpster and fuck her unconscious body, no matter how drunk you are. Luckily there were witnesses and this fuck was convicted.

It sounds like he is getting off WAY too light.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:20 pm

I think the woman did a good job identifying where she should be held accountable and the general shitbaggery this kid was involved in. I think he was tried appropriately and found guilty appropriately. I think the application of the law was just; even leaving her sister out of the equation, where any guilt I bet she levels against herself is enough. The dude is a piece of shit and waking up next to some broad I have to piece together how things played out is not the same as what this douche did.

I think the sentencing was total bullshit and another solid indication of the inequities of the application of punishment by the judicial system (I could easily make the racial argument [still smh on the "we're all equal since around 1973" post you made in December 2014], but I'm going to sit it even larger on the economic reasons he got off so light).
Last edited by Bklyn on Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:24 pm

If someone stole your computer bag from your car, yeah it can be argued that you're an idiot for having it in sight and leaving the door unlocked, but it doesn't really say anything to diminish the guilt of the fuckhead who stole it.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:25 pm

EFZ

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:31 pm

do you know if she did or did not give consent?

does anyone know?

or is his entire conviction based on the idea that it had to be rape because of its location and his reaction to being called out by two guys on a bicycle?
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Bklyn wrote:I think the woman did a good job identifying where she should be held accountable and the general shitbaggery this kid was involved in. I think he was tried appropriately and found guilty appropriately. I think the application of the law was just; even leaving her sister out of the equation, where any guilt I bet she levels against herself is enough. The dude is a piece of shit and waking up next to some broad I have to piece together how things played out is not the same as what this douche did.

I think the sentencing was total bullshit and another solid indication of the inequities of the application of punishment by the judicial system (I could easily make the racial argument [still smh on the "we're all equal since around 1973" post you made in December 2014], but I'm going to sit it even larger on the economic reasons he got off so light).
I still believe in that statement

aTm
Muad'Dib

Post by aTm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:40 pm

eCat wrote:do you know if she did or did not give consent?

does anyone know?

or is his entire conviction based on the idea that it had to be rape because of its location and his reaction to being called out by two guys on a bicycle?
Witnesses. An unconscious body cant give consent.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:41 pm

ok, so maybe I missed this in the story.

He dragged an unconscious woman out of the house and to the dumpster?

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 pm

That's a typical Saturday night in Wayne County......if when you say house, you mean rusted out airstream.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:17 pm

eCat wrote:
Bklyn wrote:[still smh on the "we're all equal since around 1973" post you made in December 2014], but I'm going to sit it even larger on the economic reasons he got off so light).
I still believe in that statement
I know...regardless of a treasure trove of quantifiable data in terms of housing, wages, application of legal services, medical care and other identifiable metrics that shows it is not "largely equal" (even holding for other constants like education, income levels, geography, etc.).

I will say that your calcification on this line of thought taught me very valuable lessons about people. You're a good dude. If you ever come to NY (bc I don't see myself breezing through Cincy...and I don't mean that disparagingly; I just don't do business, have no family and no social interest there) I'm happily covering all food and drink expenses. You've shown me that people I actually respect the opinion of still can maintain the line, regardless of data. So, I don't try to move people from that thought. It has shown me that it's not a "good fight" to fight for all people. You've saved me from wasting energy on the topic...here and IRL. Seriously. It is something I always appreciate. My life is two dense for inefficient movement. I now believe that people who think that way, in this day and age, will stay that way...or move from it organically, not from something I can ever say or present.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Will you cover all my food and drink expenses next time I'm in the city?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.