Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by BigRedMan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:41 am

Well hell everything is right in the economy now. Fucking Detroit needs to get off their lazy asses and get back to work!!! 7.4 unemployment rate?!? Lazy asses, get to work!!! Quit sucking off the government tits!!

Thank god that is resolved.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 am

Big Business just bypassed the tit in 2008 and went straight for the jugular. Direct hit, too...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:34 am

Jungle Rat wrote:Last years budget deficit 1.09 Trillion. This years projected budget deficit 670 billion. That's a 37.6% decrease boy & girls. First time since 2008 the annual deficit has come in below 1 trillion dollars. How bout that?
Thanks to the improvement of the economy and sequestration. We actually spent less than last year. Long live sequestration!

Now, Oprama's tax increases should reduce the deficit further when it starts to kick in with people who start paying their increased 2013 taxes in April.

Cletus
The Dick Cheney of the Internet
College Hoops Affiliation: Georgetown

Post by Cletus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:20 am

Jungle Rat wrote:Last years budget deficit 1.09 Trillion. This years projected budget deficit 670 billion. That's a 37.6% decrease boy & girls. First time since 2008 the annual deficit has come in below 1 trillion dollars. How bout that?
Projected vs actual. When the actual 2013 numbers are calculated, I guarantee the margin will be much, much smaller.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Solar Energy Costs Dropping Nationally - The Business Review

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/ ... -drop.html

The cost of going solar has dropped by 44 percent over the past five years in New York, a trend that is playing out across the country.

It was 14 percent cheaper to install residential and commercial solar systems last year than it was in 2011, according to reports. Prices have dropped an average of up to 7 percent per year since 1998.

Solar energy has become one of the fastest growing industries in the nation, according to a report by DOE's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

The solar industry currently provides about 120,000 jobs at more than 5,600 companies nationally, the report said. Solar job growth has doubled in the last three years, particularly among small businesses
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Cletus wrote:
Projected vs actual. When the actual 2013 numbers are calculated, I guarantee the margin will be much, much smaller.
Guess we've got 2-1/2 more months to find out.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:27 pm

We've all also had to live through the horrors and hardships of sequestration. I cant remember the last time my life was so awful.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Haaaappy days are here again.....
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 pm

bluetick wrote:Solar Energy Costs Dropping Nationally - The Business Review

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/ ... -drop.html

The cost of going solar has dropped by 44 percent over the past five years in New York, a trend that is playing out across the country.

It was 14 percent cheaper to install residential and commercial solar systems last year than it was in 2011, according to reports. Prices have dropped an average of up to 7 percent per year since 1998.

Solar energy has become one of the fastest growing industries in the nation, according to a report by DOE's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

The solar industry currently provides about 120,000 jobs at more than 5,600 companies nationally, the report said. Solar job growth has doubled in the last three years, particularly among small businesses

Soooo, be honest, how much of your portfolio are you converting to these stocks?

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/inde ... tor.stocks

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:14 pm

aTm wrote:We've all also had to live through the horrors and hardships of sequestration. I cant remember the last time my life was so awful.
Last weekend is already that much of a blur?
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Most Republicans Actually Support Increased Renewable Energy Use
by Mike Howser April 4th, 2013

Apparently, the debate over global warming is not as big as the hard-liners at Fox News and on Capitol Hill would lead us to believe. A recent study released by Yale and George Mason University found that nearly 80 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning Independents support increasing renewable energy use and more than 60 percent believe the United States should take action to address climate change

So rank and file repubs support green energy, for the most part...and they recognize the need to do something about AGW - for the most part.

Whereas GOP politicians hamstring renewable energy at every turn, and dismiss any initiatives that deal with climate change. And why do they turn a deaf ear to their own party faithful? No doubt they have a couple of hundred million reasons, thanks to Exxon Shell BP et al.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Almost 80% of repubs support renewable energy....

that leaves a pretty paltry number of dumbasses in the renewable-is-evil category. Wouldn't you say, toe?

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:13 pm

I asked you first....how much of your portfolio is tied up in renewables....surely at least 25% Right?

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 pm

1.) Man made global warming is a full-blown religion, with all the attendant leaps of faith.

2.) In this religion, renewable energy is their sacrament. It wouldn't survive for 15 minutes without massive (and largely corrupt) government subsidies. These subsidies are the "sale of indulgences" of the 21st century.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 am

Professor Tiger wrote:1.) Man made global warming is a full-blown religion, with all the attendant leaps of faith.

2.) In this religion, renewable energy is their sacrament. It wouldn't survive for 15 minutes without massive (and largely corrupt) government subsidies. These subsidies are the "sale of indulgences" of the 21st century.
1. Look around. Every modern marvel you can see essentially began with a leap of faith on somebody's part.

2. I like SEC football-as-religion metaphors better. Outbid somebody else's 150k and make it to the Promised Land...that sort of thing.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:16 am

I read an article that did a good job of an historical assessment of natural born citizen, basically arguing that if you traditionally were considered a citizen then you were a natural born citizen. This tradition came from England but because we aren't a monarchy (IB), it doesn't translate as well.

I'll try and find the site again.
My Dad is my hero still.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:22 pm

NBC is just now catching up to what everyone (almost everyone) knew years ago....it's gotta be tough on the credibility to be an Obama gnob-gobbler.

>>> we're learning more tonight about some of the unintended consequences of the affordable care act which the president himself now calls obama care. some workers who thought it meant they would finally get health insurance are instead getting hit with a double whammy. no insurance, and a pay cut. we get the story tonight from our senior investigative correspondent lisa myers.

>> luke has worked at a subway franchise in maine for a decade. but he recently was told his hours would be cut to 29 a week.

>> it's very tough. i'm scratching by as it is with overtime.

>> luke's boss, who owns 21 subway franchises says it's all because of the new health care law. employers must provide health insurance to anyone working 30 or more hours a week. goodrich says his small business can't afford that.

>> losing five or six hours a week, that's 50, $60 a week or a couple hundred dollars a month, that's a car payment.

>> reporter: we spoke to almost 20 small businesses and other entities around the country, all said because of the new law, they would be cutting back hours for some employees.

>> reporter: at st. petersburg college in florida, 250 part time professors have had their hours reduced.

>> it's been the hardest decision i've had to make, and i hope that we can work our way through it to a better answer than we're able to give today.

>> part time math professor tracy sullivan lost half her income.

>> i never thought it would impact me directly. i was stunned when i got the e-mail.

>> the white house dismisses these examples as anecdotal. the top economic adviser told us he sees no systematic evidence, the health care law is having an adverse impact on the number of hours the employees are working.

>> this isn't a problem, it's not happening.

>> it is happening.

>> reporter: joseph hanson is president of the union that supports obama care. discount stores already are cutting workers to 29 hours. and that unionized grocery stores want to follow suit.

>> wait a year, you'll see a tremendous impact as workers have their hours reduced and their incomes reduced.

>> reporter: the white house has delayed the employer mandate for a year, but many businesses are still preparing for the cuts. lisa myers, nbc news, kennebunk, maine.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 pm

bluetick wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:1.) Man made global warming is a full-blown religion, with all the attendant leaps of faith.

1. Look around. Every modern marvel you can see essentially began with a leap of faith on somebody's part.

2. I like SEC football-as-religion metaphors better. Outbid somebody else's 150k and make it to the Promised Land...that sort of thing.
I agree that SEC football is also a religion, and I am one of its devotees. It is similar to the man-made global warming religion. Just as a Tennessee fan (or Auburn fan or Georgia fan, etc.) is profoundly committed to their programs, and virtually no amount of contrary evidence will ever change that commitment, no amount of contrary evidence will ever alter the a priori fealty that a MMGW wacko has towards his/her belief system.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Who was pres then?

From the time tax cuts put fully in place to housing collapse deficits decreased:

2007 - $162 billion budget deficit
2006 - $248.2 billion budget deficit
2005 - $319 billion budget deficit
2004 - $412.7 billion budget deficit

162 billion? That sounds so awesome now eh?

Anyway more people working means more tax revenue. That is what lowers deficit.

Those deficit numbers are gonna skyrocket after Opramacare kicks in full.