Moderators: Dr. Strangelove, AlabamAlum, innocentbystander

dave_rickart
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Virginia
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by dave_rickart » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:46 pm

FSU's defense played better Friday night (a shutout and a defensive score versus 7 points yielded BC's defense).

you say it was because FSU's defense faced inferior competition (BC's offense) compared to what BC's defense faced (FSU's offense)...

then you turn around and use stats BC rolled up against inferior competition (Howard and Maine) as your evidence BC has the better defense?

wow....just wow...
Home of the 2019 National Champions.

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by KeviNole » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:18 pm

FSU's offense is not good - yet. Golson was excellent? 15/24 for 119 yards is hardly excellent, it's downright poor. Our offensive line is just not very good right now...the talent is there, but very inexperienced and somewhat lost. Cook is an outstanding RB, probably one of the top 5 in the country, but the OL problems are causing him to underperform his talent. BC played well but Fisher played it very conservatively to keep Golson from a sack/fumble, because it was obvious that BC's offense is horrendous and was not going to move the ball on us. It's not the first time...FSU has won its last 8 games while rushing under 100 yards. There are only 5 other FBS teams over .500 in such games.

There will be other games against better defenses than BC's where our offense performs better. It doesn't mean BC has a better defense, it comes down to gameplan, matchups, and risk management.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:36 pm

KeviNole wrote:FSU's offense is not good - yet. Golson was excellent? 15/24 for 119 yards is hardly excellent, it's downright poor. Our offensive line is just not very good right now...the talent is there, but very inexperienced and somewhat lost. Cook is an outstanding RB, probably one of the top 5 in the country, but the OL problems are causing him to underperform his talent. BC played well but Fisher played it very conservatively to keep Golson from a sack/fumble, because it was obvious that BC's offense is horrendous and was not going to move the ball on us. It's not the first time...FSU has won its last 8 games while rushing under 100 yards. There are only 5 other FBS teams over .500 in such games.

There will be other games against better defenses than BC's where our offense performs better. It doesn't mean BC has a better defense, it comes down to gameplan, matchups, and risk management.
You will not play a better defense all year. Period. End of story. BC is ranked #1 and I fully expect (after a complete year of ACC play) they will still be... #1. You pitiful 215 yards of offense or whatever it was had nothing to do with game plan. That is just an excuse. BC's defense just flat out outplayed your offense. But BC still lost because your defense devoured entirely and utterly, the BC offense. That was the game. The punters were the MVPs.

Yes, Golson was excellent. Look at the way he avoided that certain safety. Landry is probably the best defensive lineman BC's got and he had a big game. And Golson schooled him. Golson also knocked the 3rd best defensive lineman BC had out of the game with that hit early in the 1st. That was Kevin Kavilek. The 15-for-24 is meh, but that wasn't his fault. BC had incredibly excellent, tight coverage on your wideouts all night. I have never seen that before with BC defensive backs. More to the point, no turnovers from Golson. He played a perfectly conservative game against a defense that FSU could not exploit. Kudos. He did exactly what FSU needed him to do, that is NOT LOSE THE GAME.

BC can't win without getting turnovers. BC sucks on offense. They can't score points on a long field. So they depend on the defense to not only stop you 3-and-out but ALSO to get the ball on turnovers. That didn't happen because Golson was excellent.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:44 pm

dave_rickart wrote:FSU's defense played better Friday night (a shutout and a defensive score versus 7 points yielded BC's defense).

you say it was because FSU's defense faced inferior competition (BC's offense) compared to what BC's defense faced (FSU's offense)...

then you turn around and use stats BC rolled up against inferior competition (Howard and Maine) as your evidence BC has the better defense?

wow....just wow...
BC is #1 defensively. It is the end of week three. Get back to me (say) week six. If on week six BC is still #1 (or maybe, #2) defensively, I expect an apology from you. If they aren't, I will say you were right.

Are we on? Or are you too proud to risk me saying, ha ha, and you eating crow?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:03 pm

good lord, you are too dense to understand the failures in your own argument.

you're statistically No.1 after playing Howard and Maine.

schedule Oregon and Alabama and get back to me....

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:04 am

dave_rickart wrote:good lord, you are too dense to understand the failures in your own argument.

you're statistically No.1 after playing Howard and Maine.

schedule Oregon and Alabama and get back to me....
so you are not up for the challenge?

coward

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:10 am

Of course he picks Week 6. The schedule gets much tougher after that. Dude needs serious help. IB, I'll take that bet but it has to be end of season and BC needs to be in the top 10. Man up Spanky.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:21 am

apparently IB can't read, or he inherited BRM's penchant for deflection whenever losing an argument.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Of course he picks Week 6. The schedule gets much tougher after that. Dude needs serious help. IB, I'll take that bet but it has to be end of season and BC needs to be in the top 10. Man up Spanky.
Top ten in the country (yards total yards allowed) for the season? So basically where BC is at in January 1? You are on. I assume we are doing signatures Rat.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:59 pm

dave_rickart wrote:apparently IB can't read, or he inherited BRM's penchant for deflection whenever losing an argument.
I am not deflecting anything. But you are still a fraidy cat

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:43 am

What does "yards total yards allowed" even mean? Top 10 defense period. Don't try and pussy out by using just one stat.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:02 am

On Mike and Mike this morning, they said Northwestern was the #1 defense in the country right now...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:49 am

....of course, Greenie is a little biased when it comes to NW football

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:59 am

True, but I doubt he would've lied about something as easily refutable as that, esp. with Golic sitting there ready to sass him down for such an error...

dave_rickart
Senior

Post by dave_rickart » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:13 am

so you're saying what Greenie said was true? that NW has the best defense in college football?

don't tell IB... he's got STATS!!!

KeviNole
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by KeviNole » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Total yards is a shitty stat but it is a stat. There are a ton of stats that can be used, the best tend to be the "advanced stats" that roughly compare how your offense/defense performed relative to other teams they played. So if BC's defense performed well against FSU (which it did) but FSU runs roughshod over the rest of its schedule, BC gets a good bump in the advanced stats. If they outperform the norm in every game, they will be highly ranked, and if they outperform everyone else on everyone else's schedule, they'd likely end up #1. There are other factors of course, such as ability to prevent explosive plays, etc.

Advanced stats (FEI, S&P) are not published until there is a reasonable accumulation of statistical data to analyze, about halfway through the season.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Speaking of stats, this is a good article. Average passing yards per attempt is evidently one of the best predictors of victory...

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... -act/6947/

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:What does "yards total yards allowed" even mean? Top 10 defense period. Don't try and pussy out by using just one stat.
Total yards given up all season. Yards against. Right now, BC leads the nation at just over 300 yards (over 3 games.) If you want to pick points against, I believe BC leads the nation there (given up just 3.3 points per game all season.) Tell you what, I am going on vacation tonight. YOU pick whatever objective parameter you want for top ten defense period (anything you pick) and I will agree to it. But it must be a mathematical objective measurement. No subjective, girl-figure-skating-sports, judges ranking, bullshit. Pick something you and I can see with nothing but MATH.

I am not going to pussy out. But this must be entirely "objective."

Objectively, I just assumed you meant total yards given up all season. But you can pick anything. We'll still be top 10 in the nation on January 1. I already know what signature I want you to write.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:47 pm

KeviNole wrote:Total yards is a shitty stat but it is a stat.
That is the SINGLE stat they use at ESPN.com. And with that one stat, BC is numero uno. As far as I'm concerned, if I had to pick just one stat, that one shitty stat is the one I would pick. Its, objective.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:51 pm

hedge wrote:On Mike and Mike this morning, they said Northwestern was the #1 defense in the country right now...
They are top 10.... barely.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... on/defense

The only way Northwestern is #1 is points allowed per game. But even points allowed per game, BC leads the nation defensively at 3.3 points per game. FSU scored half their points on BC's offense. In that sense, ESPN is just... wrong.