Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by bluetick » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:No. The author is saying that the winners of the culture war may try to make opposition to gay marriage as radioactive as white supremacy. They won't go after hetero marriage. You and the Mrs. are safe for now.
I guess so. But the term the author used was "traditionalism"... traditionalism becoming as radioactive as racism, instead of more accurately saying "people opposed to gay marriage" will be viewed that way. Obviously one can be a traditionalist and still be tolerant of those going against the grain.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Owlman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:We have none here.
road trip, man. Road trip
My Dad is my hero still.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:18 pm

bluetick wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:No. The author is saying that the winners of the culture war may try to make opposition to gay marriage as radioactive as white supremacy. They won't go after hetero marriage. You and the Mrs. are safe for now.
I guess so. But the term the author used was "traditionalism"... traditionalism becoming as radioactive as racism, instead of more accurately saying "people opposed to gay marriage" will be viewed that way. Obviously one can be a traditionalist and still be tolerant of those going against the grain.
Jeremy Irons made an outstanding (unassailible argument) against same-sex marriage. He said with Same-sex marriage why couldn't he marry his own son? He has a financial incentive to marry his own son as his son would inherit all Jeremy's assets, tax free. Same-sex marriage cretes this possiblility. The interviewer said that marriage within family was illegal and Jeremy Irons was quick to point out that it was only illegal because of inbreeding/offpring created through incest (which would be the reason why he can not marry his own daughter.) That parameter doesn't exist with his own son for the two can not breed. So the interviewer pointed out the immoral implications of it and Jeremy quickly responded that he is not permitted to do that if Jeremy is not allowed the moral implications against same-sex marriage. Go all one way, or go the other. At this point the interviewer (very pro-same-sex marriage) was laughing because he knew that he's been beat.

Same-sex marriage, and people WILL GAME THE SYSTEM and our society will continue to suffer from it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:34 pm

No offense but people game the system, no matter the system period.

Example, my wife doesn't want to do it but I think I can talk her into this. We have been together for close to 20 years, married for like 17. I want to divorce her on paper. To our friends and family, we will still be married and living in the same house. However, to the all the government agencies (food stamps, money for college, etc...), we would be divorced and she would be a single mother of 1 with no college degree. All I need is a mailing address where I could get some mail but not need to live there. We could still live together and as long as she doesn't get any type of housing assistance which has restrictions on who can live in the house and such. My child support would go from one checking account to another, so the money is never lost. Taxes we file separate and the only issue is getting loans for things and such but hell, we can just list each other as co-signers and such. We could eat for free most of the month, she gets to go to college for free, doesn't have to work, and any other various things you want to throw in.

Hell, even later on down the road when my daughter is ready to go to college, she would have a bigger advantage to get scholarships and grants because of being from a one parent home.

Now there is the risk of her throwing me out at any point and vice versa but I just don't think that would happen. We are not wired that way. I hope I can talk her into it cause getting a mailing address and taking my name off certain things like checking account and utilities are a no brainer. And as sad as it is, we have ZERO assets except for a couple cars, some jewelry, and such but nothing to fight over. Try to get a no fault divorce with me agreeing to pay x amount of dollars for child support each month and such and try to get the quickie divorce without lawyers and such. Like I said, the child support just moves from one account to another and no one has to be any wiser.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm

BigRedMan wrote:No offense but people game the system, no matter the system period.

Example, my wife doesn't want to do it but I think I can talk her into this. We have been together for close to 20 years, married for like 17. I want to divorce her on paper. To our friends and family, we will still be married and living in the same house. However, to the all the government agencies (food stamps, money for college, etc...), we would be divorced and she would be a single mother of 1 with no college degree. All I need is a mailing address where I could get some mail but not need to live there. We could still live together and as long as she doesn't get any type of housing assistance which has restrictions on who can live in the house and such. My child support would go from one checking account to another, so the money is never lost. Taxes we file separate and the only issue is getting loans for things and such but hell, we can just list each other as co-signers and such. We could eat for free most of the month, she gets to go to college for free, doesn't have to work, and any other various things you want to throw in.

Hell, even later on down the road when my daughter is ready to go to college, she would have a bigger advantage to get scholarships and grants because of being from a one parent home.

Now there is the risk of her throwing me out at any point and vice versa but I just don't think that would happen. We are not wired that way. I hope I can talk her into it cause getting a mailing address and taking my name off certain things like checking account and utilities are a no brainer. And as sad as it is, we have ZERO assets except for a couple cars, some jewelry, and such but nothing to fight over. Try to get a no fault divorce with me agreeing to pay x amount of dollars for child support each month and such and try to get the quickie divorce without lawyers and such. Like I said, the child support just moves from one account to another and no one has to be any wiser.
This "game the system" example is excellent and frightening all at the same time.

When we remove SHAME from normal cutural discourse, by that I mean....
BigRedMan wrote:To our friends and family, we will still be married and living in the same house.
...your friends and family (assuming they KNOW what you and your wife have done with the federal government) continue to associate with the two of you (in some capacity), then there is no reason NOT to do this. The fact that your friends and family are in fact subsidizing your shameful acts does not cause them to (in turn) shun you. You are not stigmatized, you are not a pariah in society. And if you don't feel ashamed of what you are doing (there is right and wrong but there is no real penality for doing wrong) then of course, you game.

And you wouldn't be the only one.

Okay so given what you described is human nature, why are we doing this to ourselves again? Why are we opening ourselves up to more "gaming of the system?"
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 pm

If Jesus was really Jesus as described, he would have no problem with gay marriage.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 pm

The advantage for children of single parents getting money for college is huge. I did not get nearly as much aid as my peers and lower ranked/dumber/idiot classmates who had divorced parents and was a finalist (read as "hey you did great but we're giving the money to this other kid!") for many scholarships and grants that went to kids almost always from single parent households and some of these were kids who's "other parent" were doctors and lawyers. My parents were asking me how much my college loans were just the other day (I think they finally paid off their part) and even now they still say they should have gotten divorced to pay for school.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:10 pm

I would say that it was a much bigger factor than race all else being equal.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:15 pm

70% of black children are born to unwed mothers. So they have that going for them too.
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:19 pm

BRM, here's another legal con. Either you or your wife should also apply for Social Security disability payments. Come up with some syndrome and you'll both get a check for life.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:28 pm

In a tweet, Alec Baldwin uses homophobic slurs against a British reporter.

I'm assuming he will be immediately fired from all his current acting jobs, starting with his Capital One commercials right? Right?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:04 pm

All I know is when I get to Savannah in August, Im eating at Paula Deens.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Heart attack on a plate.
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

But its sooooooo good.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:18 am

Jungle Rat wrote:If Jesus was really Jesus as described, he would have no problem with gay marriage.
"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

Matt 19:4-6

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:48 am

I didn't realize he spoke English.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:07 pm

PNN overlooked this this week...looks like the IRS also targetted liberal groups and not just conservatives ones.

Issa must be furious that his "Worse than Watergate" investigation is rapidly falling apart

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/politics/irs-targeting

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:In a tweet, Alec Baldwin uses homophobic slurs against a British reporter.

I'm assuming he will be immediately fired from all his current acting jobs, starting with his Capital One commercials right? Right?
Prof, at least one person in the MSM is talking about Baldwin

http://tv.broadwayworld.com/article/And ... s-20130629

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:PNN overlooked this this week...looks like the IRS also targetted liberal groups and not just conservatives ones.

Issa must be furious that his "Worse than Watergate" investigation is rapidly falling apart

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/politics/irs-targeting
LMAO. That CNN article says:
Rep. Sander Levin said the term "progressives" was included on IRS screening lists of applicants for tax-exempt status made available to Congress on Monday.
Here is the actual letter from the Inspector General of the Treasury Department reporting on his findings on the IRS harassment of conservative political groups.

http://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/u ... -26-13.pdf

Pertinent quote:

From our audit work, we did not find from the criteria you identified, labelled 'Progressives,' were used by the IRS to select potential political cases during the 2010 to 2012 time frame we audited... While we have multiple sources of information corroborating the use of Tea Party and other related criteria we described in the report... we found no indication in any of these materials that "Progressives" was a term used to refer cases for scrutiny for political campaign intervention.
So other than the fact that Senator Levin blatantly lied, and CNN didn't bother to actually read his "smoking gun" document before dutifully parroting his lie, then yes the IRS scandal is indeed "falling apart."

LMAO.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Prof, at least one person in the MSM is talking about Baldwin
The Broadway World is indeed a true giant in mainstream journalism. Lesser journalistic outlets like the NYT, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, etc. will rain down editorial thunder on Alec Baldwin for his homophobic slurs just like they did with Paula Deen for her admitted racial slur thirty years ago. That will start any minute now.