Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I've come to the conclusion that no social liberal that isn't a democrat has a shot.

He/she gets torn to shreds in the primaries
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:02 pm

Looking forward to the debate tonight.

Should be epic television if Trump is going scorched earth
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 pm

trump scorched the womens vote and some of the repub faithful with the independent candidacy implication

why are you fucking with megyn Kelly? ok to slam rosie but megyn?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Trump is a circus clown. No way he gets the nomination. None.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 pm

I bet he stays in the lead until other candidates start dropping out.

I want to like Cruz but he just looks like a pedophile to me.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:51 pm

Trump has got all the people angry about immigration (legal and illegal.) If Trump wants to get ALL the millennials too, he need only get on his soap box and talk about internships.....

[youtube]4yQgeONSnEU[/youtube]
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:39 pm

I wish you were back in jail.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:01 am

Jungle Rat wrote:I wish you were back in jail.
When did this happen? Football season is upon us. Time to post at the Goat Pen is all.....

I stay on topic on the threads.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:57 am

Yep, I'm sure internships is the hinge upon which this election will be decided...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 am

hedge wrote:Yep, I'm sure internships is the hinge upon which this election will be decided...
When is the last time you talked to a Millenial working an unpaid internship with $120,000 in student loan debt? Do you have any possible idea how awful their lives are at this moment, specifically because they don't think there is anyone speaking out for their predicament?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:49 am

At this point I really have no sympathy for a kid with 120K in student loan debt who has a shitty job.

Kids with science and engineering degrees that have a decent GPA have about 3% unemployment and even during the worst of the recession in 2009 it was no more than 6%

There is no shortage of state schools offering science and engineering degrees where a kid can get out of there with $40K in debt. Now granted, $40K in debt is still an issue and I'd want something done about it, but its a far cry from these 6 figure debt you hear about. 6 figure debt is a choice a kid makes.

Who gives these kids advice to attend an expensive liberal arts school with very little hope of a high paying job outside of academia?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:13 am

"When is the last time you talked to a Millenial working an unpaid internship with $120,000 in student loan debt? Do you have any possible idea how awful their lives are at this moment"

To paraphrase J. Paul Getty, if you owe somebody $120, that's your problem. If you owe somebody $120,000, it's their problem...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm

To quote me. "Shut The Fuck Up."

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:16 pm

hedge wrote:"When is the last time you talked to a Millenial working an unpaid internship with $120,000 in student loan debt? Do you have any possible idea how awful their lives are at this moment"

To paraphrase J. Paul Getty, if you owe somebody $120, that's your problem. If you owe somebody $120,000, it's their problem...
You still breathing is my problem.
Let 'er Blow!

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 am

eCat wrote:At this point I really have no sympathy for a kid with 120K in student loan debt who has a shitty job.

Kids with science and engineering degrees that have a decent GPA have about 3% unemployment and even during the worst of the recession in 2009 it was no more than 6%

There is no shortage of state schools offering science and engineering degrees where a kid can get out of there with $40K in debt. Now granted, $40K in debt is still an issue and I'd want something done about it, but its a far cry from these 6 figure debt you hear about. 6 figure debt is a choice a kid makes.

Who gives these kids advice to attend an expensive liberal arts school with very little hope of a high paying job outside of academia?
I don't have that much sympathy for them either. But one could argue that immigration (be it legal or illegal) exacerbates their problem. That said those unpaid internships many colleges now require for graduation are just f-cking ridiculous. I would never have worked one, never. And now the kids think they have to. And I would argue that pretty much all of them (according to federal labor law) are unlawful internships.

Yes all the smart kids with STEM degrees are doing fine. Of course even the STEM kids have seen their earning power stagnate as a result of those cursed H-1Bs

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:29 am

hedge wrote:"When is the last time you talked to a Millenial working an unpaid internship with $120,000 in student loan debt? Do you have any possible idea how awful their lives are at this moment"

That student loan debt is unbankruptable. That is the law, a law created by academia so money could be "free" and they could raise tuition as high as they wanted. It is the student's problem. They can't walk away from it. And their "anti-dowry" makes it highly unlikely anyone would marry them.

Dora
Sophomore

Post by Dora » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Why can't they refinance their loans at better rates?
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:05 pm

its not the rate its the amount

the rate is 3-6 for most students

the amount is 40-400 depending on what you want to be.

salaries are often less then 100 and even if you are a doctor or lawyer as a new grad it still takes years to pay off student loans.
especially if you owe 2-400K

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:44 pm

innocentbystander wrote:

That student loan debt is unbankruptable. That is the law, a law created by academia so money could be "free" and they could raise tuition as high as they wanted. It is the student's problem. They can't walk away from it. And their "anti-dowry" makes it highly unlikely anyone would marry them.

government guarantees the money
government guarantees it will be paid back
the government made $6b in student loan interest in the last 5 years.

universities can raise tuition in an almost monopolistic fashion

yet people still think government involvement is the answer.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:07 am

Dora wrote:Why can't they refinance their loans at better rates?
The rates are extremely low. So no, that can't really happen. The problem is their starting salaries are also extremely low (or $0 if they are doing those silly internships.) Read Intern Nation and be.... bothered.