Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Bklyn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:44 am

crotch wrote:
Bklyn wrote:What's up with the Harrison kid's hair?
00 is Lee, not Harrison
I know. One of the twins has a bunch of blotches in his hair...and not the Sheed Wallace, single birthmark blotch, either. The dude has a series of clumps missing from his hair (it seems in the shots I saw) that make me wonder if he has alopecia...or maybe it was dye that made it look like hair was missing.

Either way, there was some fuckery going on at the kid's crown.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 pm

I see Bluecat is lurking.....

walk softly

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Xavier signs 12 year old with life threatening disease.

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-spor ... ng-disease
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

Hedge and DS should get a kick out of this...

U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:04 pm

ESPN INSIDER

It's almost become a formality whether you're a fan of the Philadelphia 76ers, Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns or even Boston Celtics. You pray for your team to drop game after game so you can be the clubhouse leader and receive the most pingpong balls in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.

There's just one issue. This won't be the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.

This isn't 2003, when LeBron James was the ultimate no-brainer to be selected No. 1 in the NBA draft. It's not 2012 either, when there was virtually no chance heading into the college season that anyone other than Anthony Davis would be taken No. 1.

Wiggins might be the clubhouse leader, but the first draftee to shake new NBA commissioner Adam Silver's hand in 2014 could be Kentucky's Julius Randle or even Duke's Jabari Parker. In fact, let me be the first to go out on that proverbial limb and say I'd take Randle, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound man-child, with the No. 1 overall pick.

Go ahead and check all of the mock drafts, whether it's our own Chad Ford or anyone else. The 6-7 Wiggins, a Canadian who will play for Bill Self at Kansas this season, sits atop all of the boards.

Wiggins is exceptionally talented. He's long, athletic and has a body that draws comparisons to Kobe Bryant. There are just a couple of issues that NBA personnel raise: Does he possess the killer instinct to be a star in the NBA, and will he develop a perimeter shot that eventually forces defenders to go over screens?

"He's no lock," one NBA executive said of Wiggins being tabbed with the top pick. "He has all the physical tools, but mental makeup is the biggest question with Wiggins."

"He has a lot of things he must show this year," added another high-ranking NBA guy. "His shot must improve and he has to develop a sense of urgency and a better focus."

I watched Wiggins hand it to Randle in July 2012 in Augusta, Ga. The numbers might not support it, but it was complete and utter domination. Wiggins was locked in and played with intensity. He shut down Randle for the most part despite the fact he was giving away more than 30 pounds. He also went for 28 points and grabbed as many rebounds as Randle (13 each).

But that was nearly 18 months ago. Much has changed. Wiggins has been inconsistent at times, and some NBA folks started to develop concerns about Wiggins while watching him practice leading up to the McDonald's All American Game.

Randle was a wannabe Kevin Durant during his head-to-head matchup with Wiggins, preferring to play on the perimeter instead of posting up with his intimidating frame. No one insisted he do work where he's best-equipped to do so, and that's in the paint. That won't be the case in college, when Kentucky coach John Calipari will force Randle to get in the post and use his power, quickness and athleticism to provide a mismatch for just about any opposing big man.

Randle can be an unstoppable force. He's big, extremely strong and ultra-athletic, and he plays with a high motor. He's got a defined position at power forward, and his game will easily translate to the next level. He's about production and potential.

"He can absolutely be the No. 1 pick," one general manager said.

There was something else missing in summer 2012. It was Parker who sat out the entire recruiting period with an injury. He entered that summer as the No. 1 player in the country, but didn't even have an opportunity to defend his belt. Out of sight, out of mind.

"Don't sleep on Parker," one NBA scout said. "He's not the athlete of Wiggins or Randle, but he's a terrific player. He has a high [basketball] IQ, and isn't afraid of anyone."

The 6-8, 235-pound Parker can score in a multitude of ways. He can shoot the 3, has a picturesque midrange game and also can score in the post. He's a gifted passer, rebounds well for his position and is a deceptive athlete.

"He's more athletic than people think," another NBA executive said. "And no one has really seen him since his junior year of high school. He wasn't right in all the All-Star games."

The last time most of us saw the skilled forward from Chicago was at the McDonald's All American Game when he was far less than 100 percent recovered from the foot injury that kept him out all summer and hindered him through his high school campaign.

"I think both Randle and Parker both have a shot at No. 1," one NBA general manager said. "This isn't just about Wiggins."

Make no mistake, Wiggins still remains the preseason favorite for the No. 1 overall pick despite concerns from NBA folks. He's extremely quick off his feet, is deadly in transition and he can be terrific on the defensive end with his length and athleticism.

However, even Self admits Wiggins has a long way to go. He hasn't been even the best freshman in the preseason. That honor belongs to physical shooting guard Wayne Selden. This isn't posturing, either. Self, more than just about anyone, realizes that Wiggins will spend less than a year in Lawrence.

Last season, no one quite knew who to put at the top of the board. Nearly every expert anticipated it would be Nerlens Noel, Cody Zeller or Shabazz Muhammad. None was taken in the top three overall, and Muhammad tumbled all the way to 14th.

There wasn't a "franchise" player in the 2013 NBA draft, but that's not the case with the next crop. Wiggins, Randle and Parker are all different players yet all possess a similar characteristic: star potential.

NBA folks already are divided with whom they'd take if blessed with the No. 1 pick this time around. The majority polled have said it would be Wiggins, but Randle, Parker -- and even Arizona forward Aaron Gordon -- also have received plenty of consideration.

"You've got to let the season play out," one NBA general manager said. "A lot can change."

Just take a look at 2011. That's when nearly everyone anticipated Harrison Barnes would be taken first overall. Instead, it was Kyrie Irving who got the nod after suiting up for just 11 games in college at Duke. Barnes returned to North Carolina for his sophomore season and was taken at No. 7 in 2012 by Golden State.

The NBA draft is an inexact science. There are few "sure things" -- including the notion that Andrew Wiggins will be selected No. 1 on June 26, 2014.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 pm

Wiggins is not Kobe Bryant mentally...but that is incredibly unfair and a ridiculous bar to set. Lebron is not Kobe Bryant, mentally. There are few people that are built like him, mentally...which is good, because he's a high functioning sociopath. I think Wiggins is physically closer to Beanhead (just a notch below) and mentally closer to TMAC (just a notch above). This year will tell us a lot. I keep saying, though, don't sleep on Chris Walker at Florida. He was looking great in the showcases I saw.

I honestly don't remember Wayne Selden. I'll have to check him out.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 pm

people are genuinely excited about Randle and Calipari isn't even trying to downplay expectations for his team - but then again, he didn't do that last year either.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:21 am

"In fact, let me be the first to go out on that proverbial limb and say I'd take Randle, a 6-foot-9, 250-pound man-child, with the No. 1 overall pick."

I've been saying for awhile that I thought Randle would have a better year than Wiggins next season...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:24 am

I don't know that Randle is going to be a top 3 type of NBA superstar, but he does remind me of Elton Brand, which ain't too shabby if he turns out to be that good...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 am

Randle is going to have to have a blow out year to take the spotlight away from Parker - if he is at Duke, playing an inside/out game and draining 3 pointers.

Regardless, there is alot to be excited about in college basketball this year. UK, UL, UNC, Duke, Kansas, Michigan st - many of the traditional powers have solid teams coming into this season.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 am

That's good sass...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 am

Oh wait, I thought you had left out UNC, which you should have...

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:07 pm

....a look back at the Rupp years at Kentucky

[youtube]DkoCHaloudk[/youtube]

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 pm

That would have been good sass if he'd left out UNC. Missed your shot eCat.
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 pm

well I was sassing Indiana

but I guess no one even thinks about them

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 pm

heh
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am

My mom sent me a link to an Auction house that is auctioning off the house my grandfather used to own.

This was on 5 acres with a huge creek running thru it. As a kid he had apple trees - we made apple cider in the fall and my grandmother cut up the apples and let them dry in the sun for apple pies, 7 rows of thornless blackberries - in the summer I'd pick them and sell them to local groceries for spending money. The back hill was the pumpkin patch and my grandfather always prided himself on growing the largest pumpkins around. He always had traps set around for catching raccoons, skunks and possums. Every once in awhile he'd catch a feral cat, and would put it in a burlap sack and throw it into the creek. Kinda harsh but that was his way of dealing with strays. I'd go spend Saturdays with him and he'd give me a .22 rifle and half a box of shells. I had to make them last all day. I learned to shoot ( and accidentally shot the radiator of my neighbors truck in the process) there, and spent many a day there just being a kid with free reign of the country side. I ended up being a pretty good shot having to limit myself. They taught me not to shoot song birds but I was the grim reaper of starlings and blackbirds. The land surrounding the place was farms owned by his brothers and cousin, so I never had to worry about trespassing. I could walk to his house from ours without ever having to get on the road and without walking on land that wasn't owned by a relative. A pond in the next field over had catfish and bass. I was too young to use it but he also had a wood shop with every tool you could imagine. I built a few pinewood derby cars there with him and he made me my first sled. I have the China cabinet he made for my mom in my house now. My wife can't understand why I have this thing in our dining room taking up space when we have a much better one sitting next to it.

Of course I didn't appreciate it as a kid - or not as much as I should. After my dad died and my grandfather got on up in years, he and my grandmother decided to sell the place. They sold it for $39K in 1987 - 5 acres with a barn, 2 garages, a1 bedroom guest house and a work shop - for $39K.

The fucking white trash that bought it turned it into a junkyard. literally. He died in a car wreck and another woman bought the house - a woman whose daughter I dated and was the first girl I felt up. She put in an in ground pool and fixed the place up to where its actually nice - in a suburban type way. Its still forever ruined in my eyes though, a piece of my child hood I wish I could get back, if only for a few days.

Funny, on my place now I have 4 apple trees, a row of thornless blackberries, raspberries (which will take over your place if you let them), strawberries, 2 peach trees, 2 plum trees, a cherry tree and a grape vine. I also have currant bushes and a blueberry that don't seem to do much. I guess I'm trying to get that childhood back. Today I start the framing for my woodshop in the back yard.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 am

I noticed. It is complete bullshittery but the day will come when those wins are vacated from UK. Just stocking the ammo up for that day.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am

A little surprised UNC is as low as 9

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... ee-seasons
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:11 am

I wish eCat had ended that lovely story with a libertarian rant about how nobody owns their own land anymore...