hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by hedge » Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm

"Thought all along it would be either FSU or Kansas."

I thought it was b/w KU and us, which is why this stings, but still glad we got our shot in. Why would a kid be down to a blue blood (UK) and a nobody (FSU) basically forever and then suddenly reclassify and open his recruitment back up unless he had serious doubts about those original two choices? If we had been one of the final two for a top recruit (the other choice being, say, Kansas State or some such) and then he suddenly said he was opening things back up to include UK, Kansas, and Syracuse, I'd figure he was gone. That's why I thought it was down to us and KU. Cal's tweets an hour before the announcement pretty much guaranteed that he knew UK was out and I guess the fambly connection to FSU was a good story line, but some on. So basically Self owned Roy. Again...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 pm

hedge wrote:"Thought all along it would be either FSU or Kansas."

I thought it was b/w KU and us, which is why this stings, but still glad we got our shot in. Why would a kid be down to a blue blood (UK) and a nobody (FSU) basically forever and then suddenly reclassify and open his recruitment back up unless he had serious doubts about those original two choices? If we had been one of the final two for a top recruit (the other choice being, say, Kansas State or some such) and then he suddenly said he was opening things back up to include UK, Kansas, and Syracuse, I'd figure he was gone. That's why I thought it was down to us and KU. Cal's tweets an hour before the announcement pretty much guaranteed that he knew UK was out and I guess the fambly connection to FSU was a good story line, but some on. So basically Self owned Roy. Again...

hate to tell you but from what I've read UNC was his 4th choice. wait..I'm wrong...I don't hate to tell you that.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Tue May 14, 2013 1:38 pm

a Kstate reference on a bball thread?

we cant hold onto the players we have now let alone get any new ones.

the lawrence capital journal made wiggins a front page story this morning before the announcement but the local KU forums thought he was a lost cause. big surprise for most of the people around here

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 14, 2013 1:52 pm

"hate to tell you but from what I've read UNC was his 4th choice. wait..I'm wrong...I don't hate to tell you that."

I heard that too, but much difference b/w 2nd and 4th (or 50th, for that matter), and anyway, I was really just trying to express how I would feel if a top recruit who was down to us and one other school suddenly asked for UK, KU and Syracuse to start recruiting him...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 1:58 pm

hedge wrote:"hate to tell you but from what I've read UNC was his 4th choice. wait..I'm wrong...I don't hate to tell you that."

I heard that too, but much difference b/w 2nd and 4th (or 50th, for that matter), and anyway, I was really just trying to express how I would feel if a top recruit who was down to us and one other school suddenly asked for UK, KU and Syracuse to start recruiting him...

I guess the silver lining is Pay Pal Cal won't be talked about because of Hundred Dollar Bill Self. I think Kansas fans were the least of the 3 to believe they had him coming to their school
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Bottom line is, whiffing on Wiggins hurts us way worse than it hurts UK, esp. with Bullock now gone. With Bullock, we'd be right in the mix, IMO, even with Wiggins at KU. Without Bullock, we're not top tier unless some combination of Hicks being a stud from Day One/Meeks being much better than expected/one of the rising sophomores making a significant uptick from last year occurs...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 2:17 pm

hedge wrote:Bottom line is, whiffing on Wiggins hurts us way worse than it hurts UK, esp. with Bullock now gone. With Bullock, we'd be right in the mix, IMO, even with Wiggins at KU. Without Bullock, we're not top tier unless some combination of Hicks being a stud from Day One/Meeks being much better than expected/one of the rising sophomores making a significant uptick from last year occurs...

on the one hand, I like the pressure Roy is feeling for losing recruiting battles, but on the other hand, I'd love to see Wiggins and UNC play UK early in December

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Well, we were pretty late to the game for Wiggins, and we were invited by him. Kept our name in the mix right up to the end. I'll take the publicity...

A bigger whiff, IMO, was Randle, for whom Roy went in early and hard and got cut from the list rather quickly and unceremoniously...

FWIW, I saw on IC that somebody posted Wiggins's father said it came down to KU and FSU...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 3:20 pm

hedge wrote:Well, we were pretty late to the game for Wiggins, and we were invited by him. Kept our name in the mix right up to the end. I'll take the publicity...

A bigger whiff, IMO, was Randle, for whom Roy went in early and hard and got cut from the list rather quickly and unceremoniously...

FWIW, I saw on IC that somebody posted Wiggins's father said it came down to KU and FSU...
yep I heard that too. word is he wanted to play closer to his brother. Family had a big influence on the kid ...nothing wrong with that

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue May 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Wiggins to Bama?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Tue May 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Actually, the rumor is that Roy wanted Wiggins to go to his favorite school: Kansas.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 14, 2013 3:23 pm

@AdamHimmelsbach: Also, I was told by source that Wiggins saw the much-discussed and now-deleted vine video associated w/Harrison twins, & he didn't like it.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 3:25 pm

those Harrison twins are going to be a handful for Cal.

Supposedly Wiggins saw a video where one of the Harrison's was with a friend and the friend said "fuck Wiggins!".

a few rumors have been popping up that the Harrisons didn't want to share the limelight with Wiggins who they knew would eclipse them.

Don't know what to believe but I can't immediately say that a rumor like that isn't true given what I've heard about the Harrison twins so far.

Then on the other hand, if they have a wicked mean streak on the court and it translates to winning (what we didn't have in our backcourt last year) then we'll be saying Wiggins who?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 3:26 pm

yep...saw the same thing - you saw my take

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Dean lost several key recruiting battles during the mid and late 80's only to come back with a vengeance late in his career. That's what I hope happens with Roy's career arch. I didn't think that we would land Wiggins, but it still hurts.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm

how old is Roy now? 61?

Only thing he is coming back from is a prostate exam

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis

Post by Dave23 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Wiggins doesn't like the way the Harrison's play the game...think they are both selfish ball hogs.

Oh, and I scooped the world!
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I immediately fell out of favor with those twins after seeing them play the game. Quiet as kept, the UK blue chipper I really enjoyed watching was the Young kid. Randle has a strong game and seems to be coachable. I don't know if those twins have a real coachable bone in their body. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but Cal does not seem to be the type of coach to whip guys into shape with tough love...and these guys look to need some of that. Does Cal have the ability (as far as substitutable talent...because I don't see him making a point with scrubs) to sit these kids, or at least one of them?
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 pm

RECRUITING NATION CLASS RANKING 2013

Rank...TEAM.............ESPN 100 RECRUITS
1.....Kentucky..................8
2.....Kansas.....................6
3.....Memphis...................5
4.....Indiana....................6
5.....Arizona....................4
6.....Syracuse..................5
7.....Duke.......................3
8.....Louisville.................4
9.....LSU........................6
10....Florida...................2

12...Michigan..................3

14....North Carolina State...5

17....North Carolina..........3
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.