Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:31 am

This is the place where we discuss politics and how it is covered by the news media. Always has been, always will be. And you cannot honestly have such a discussion while trying to pretend that the media is not biased. The 9:1 thread is just your poor attempt at humor gone terribly awry. The discussions there have never had anything to do with the thread title.

As for Weiner being "THE STORY" -- go to CNN's main page and see for yourself if you agree.

http://www.cnn.com/
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:42 am

And you cannot honestly have such a discussion while trying to pretend that the media is not biased.
I don't think anyone here - including the liberals - dispute that the media is completely biased towards liberalism and the democrats. I don't think there is any doubt that the media and Hollywood actively do everything in their power to advance liberalism and suppress conservatism.

Duh.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am

Professor Tiger wrote:
And you cannot honestly have such a discussion while trying to pretend that the media is not biased.
I don't think anyone here - including the liberals - dispute that the media is completely biased towards liberalism and the democrats. I don't think there is any doubt that the media and Hollywood actively do everything in their power to advance liberalism and suppress conservatism.

Duh.
That may be more the case now than it was in the past. There was a time when it was easy to find posters at PNN who denied the overwhelming liberal bias in the media. Only after years, and mountains of evidence posted here, has it become rare to find someone who will flat-out deny it. There are still plenty of posts that say it isn't as pervasive as it is. Or that the bias exists, but it has no effect on anything. That's why it's still a valid topic of discussion, IMO.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:07 pm

The way I look at it, the media is simply one of the democrats' several constituency groups, along with the blacks, academia, Hollywood, feminists, gays, environmentalists, ATLA, unions and welfare recipients.

Just like the Republicans have their constituency groups: Big Business (especially oil, banks, Wall Street, defense), the Religious Right (guns, abortion), Fox, talk radio.

Plus, the "mainstream media," while overwhelmingly liberal, has completely lost its monopoly, and it is shrinking There are plenty of conservative news outlets that didn't exist 20 years ago and they are growing. This is why some don't get as worked up by the 9:1 battle cry as you do.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Hacksaw wrote:This is the place where we discuss politics and how it is covered by the news media. Always has been, always will be. And you cannot honestly have such a discussion while trying to pretend that the media is not biased. The 9:1 thread is just your poor attempt at humor gone terribly awry. The discussions there have never had anything to do with the thread title.

As for Weiner being "THE STORY" -- go to CNN's main page and see for yourself if you agree.

Uhhh..maybe YOU need to go to CNN's main page. Right there, middle of the page...Weiner will be right in front of your face.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:34 pm

bluetick wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:This is the place where we discuss politics and how it is covered by the news media. Always has been, always will be. And you cannot honestly have such a discussion while trying to pretend that the media is not biased. The 9:1 thread is just your poor attempt at humor gone terribly awry. The discussions there have never had anything to do with the thread title.

Uhhh..maybe YOU need to go to CNN's main page. Right there, middle of the page...Weiner will be right in front of your face.
This was your assertion, as you laughed off the idea that the story wasn't receiving as much attention as it would have if Weiner was a GOP conservative:
LOL. On Planet Hack that may be the case. Everywhere else...Weiner Exposed is THE story.
So you look at a webpage that shows a story represented by 1 of 9 small icons (heh...there are those numbers again) clustered beneath 2 large photo/headlines about Mitt Romney and some new USDA nutrition guidelines and you see the Weiner story as "THE story" being reported?

Wow.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 pm

I only hope that reasonable people here can see the lengths that defenders of the 9:1 media must go to in order to delude themselves on the subject.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Here is 1 of the 9 other stories that were featured with equal prominence by CNN:
DC Comics announced Tuesday on its blog, and in exclusive interviews with USA Today, that come September, not only will many of its titles get a more modern look under respected artist Jim Lee's direction, but they'll also get renumbered, starting issue counts back at No. 1.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/06/02/d ... ?hpt=hp_c2

So this is a HUGE story, as well.

...evidently.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Weiner will be right in front of your face.
Uhhh...

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Honest to God Hack, how red is the grass in your world?
Hacksaw wrote:Speaking of 9:1, most of you probably haven't heard about the scandal over dem Congressman Weiner's weiner yet. But if he were a conservative Republican, it would be all over the news.
You can't get away from Weiner - it's everywhere, and it's huge. It is literally "all over the news," including the CNN front page you cited -in three seperate areas (heh -even a vote: Do you think Weiner is telling the truth?) Then you can go to the politics section and get more stories on Weiner than even poor Mitt Romney, who officially opened his campaign in the middle of a Weiner-fest.

But yeah, like you say, probably NOBODY's heard of Congressman Weiner's weiner yet - LMMFAO.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Romney finally announced today. (Somebody administer smelling salts to IB.) Here's a really good article on his challenges from NRO:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... uru?page=1

Excerpts I agree with:

At the same time he has moved, stylistically at least, to the left, the party as a whole has moved right. Romney is essentially making a bet that the tea-party phenomenon is overhyped. It’s a bet that went bad for several business-backed establishment candidates in the Republican primaries of 2010.

Romney is most convincing when he’s running as an economic technician determined to fix the economy, the thrust of his campaign so far this time. He’ll have to make the sale — while seeming like he’s not making a sale. And he’ll have to hope that an economic technician is what Republican primary voters want.

His poor showing among evangelicals, especially in the South where he never got more than 20 percent of them, raises the question whether his Mormonism is a serious obstacle to ever winning over this crucial voting bloc.

His style, however, probably goes over better with people the more comfortable they are with a boardroom. To win the nomination, he is going to have to find an economic message — including both words and music — that appeals to the middle class.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:35 pm

bluetick wrote:Honest to God Hack, how red is the grass in your world?
Hacksaw wrote:Speaking of 9:1, most of you probably haven't heard about the scandal over dem Congressman Weiner's weiner yet. But if he were a conservative Republican, it would be all over the news.
You can't get away from Weiner - it's everywhere, and it's huge. It is literally "all over the news," including the CNN front page you cited -in three seperate areas (heh -even a vote: Do you think Weiner is telling the truth?) Then you can go to the politics section and get more stories on Weiner than even poor Mitt Romney, who officially opened his campaign in the middle of a Weiner-fest.

But yeah, like you say, probably NOBODY's heard of Congressman Weiner's weiner yet - LMMFAO.
I posted that yesterday. I would assume that most people have heard of it by now. Obviously, it has been reported. CNN thought it was so important, they put it right next to THE comic book-related story of the day.

Naturally, the longer the story is covered in alternative media (talk radio and the www), the more the 9:1 media will be forced to cover it. This is a great example of why dem lemmings like yourself hate the existence of FoxNews and pine for the good ol' days when embarrassing stories about liberal dems could be ignored altogether. This is why liberal dem lawmakers have talked about ways they can use the power of the government to "regulate" the www and neutralize the influence of talk radio. 9:1 just isn't good enough for them.

puterbac
Senior
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Why Barack Obama may be heading for electoral disaster in 2012

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nileg ... r-in-2012/

puterbac
Senior
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 pm

bluetick wrote:Honest to God Hack, how red is the grass in your world?

I saw it on Drudge and then on Fox on Brett's show. Its been covered. To salacious not to be plus Wiener requested to be interviewed by EVERYBODY yesterday so that is one reason its been covered.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:27 pm

No no, puter. Salaciousness has nothing to do with it. Word is, the mainstream media was forced to carry the story by the alternative media. Keep up.

And yes, Hacksaw - you did post that "you probably haven't heard of the Weiner scandal" gem yesterday. Long after the story had already been carried on all of the morning shows - yesterday.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Yes, bluetick, today is different than yesterday. You have grasped the concept. Tomorrow, even more people will have heard about the Weiner story.

And more people will have heard about this other HUGE story, which received the same prominence as the Weiner story received on CNN's main webpage today: Author discusses her new book about nerds and how they are perceived in high schools today.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestof ... &hpt=hp_c2

THIS IS BIG!

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:39 pm

It is THE story of the day, I tell ya'.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 pm

The 46-year-old married New York congressman had initially said he’d hired a lawyer to counsel him on the matter, but in Wednesday’s interview he said he’d retained a private security firm.

Mr. Weiner has not asked law enforcement agencies to investigate, raising questions from conservative skeptics about his claims of innocence.

“This is not a national security matter. We are not making a federal case out of this and I don’t think anyone else should,’’ he said

In other words.....I don't want an additional charge of filing a false report.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Currently at CNN.com

Weiner: This is not a federal case - The Situation Room

Trump: Weiner 'lying or incompetent' - by Gabriella Scwarz, CNN

Political panel: Is it a big deal? - Anderson Cooper 360

Weinergate unravels: Is the picture him? - TIME

Weiner says he didn't post photo - The CNN Wire Staff

Weiner explains - kinda - The Newsroom

Is Weiner protecting someone? - The Situation Room

Hacksaw wrote:It is THE story of the day, I tell ya'.
SEVEN stories and counting, actually. Nothing else comes close. You lose...Weiner is the biggest thing at CNN. You drew the attention to it...quit whining about it.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Speaking of CNN..there was a curious little story tucked away almost out of sight. Something about a NJ governor agreeing to reimburse the copter ride he took to his son's baseball game.