Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by crotch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:35 am

Quotes from Poythress and Mays gives a hint to why this team underachieved.....

Alex Poythress:

“I’m probably disappointed in myself, because I do feel like I could give more effort out there.”

“I feel like this season I kind of let some things go by. I haven’t given it my all sometimes.”

“There’s always time until the fat lady stops singing.”

“It’s sink or swim. You don’t want to drown.”

Julius Mays:

“It’s do or die for us. The guys that haven’t bought in, they’re going to have to hate me after tomorrow. They can hate me…but I’m leaving it all out there.”

“(The younger players) can hate me for the rest of their lives, but I’m going hard at them if necessary tomorrow.”

“I thought I was stepping into a powerhouse (at UK). So I was thinking the role might be a little easier…”

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:50 am

hedge wrote:What if they want to come back?

good question, at this point the players & their parents/advisors/prospective agents must know the score, I guess Cal could sell them on getting in on a weak draft but someone has to be telling them they're not ready

what's wrong with letting freshmen mature into more capable & coachable sophomores/juniors?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Cal doesn't want to scare away potential recruits with seasoned veterans who they might perceive as eating into their playing time...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm

From Roy's press conference yesterday, regarding fan criticism and technology:

"In relation to the criticism, I don't read the Internet. I cannot turn my damn computer on. All my buddies say 'God, did you see what so and so (said)' and I said 'Why the crap you tell me that? I'm busy.' ... But I really don't read the stuff. I do not have a Facebook, I do not have a Tweeter -- Twitter, whatever the crap that is. We have an iPad that I can turn it on to get sports headlines and play Craps on it ... So the criticism, that really -- what bothers me is when somebody criticizes and then you make a change and they say 'Oh, yeah, that's what I was wanting to do.' And everybody in here knows that's a lie. So anybody that says that can go take a flying leap."

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:45 pm

I do like Roy's fuck you attitude towards the fans, which is perfectly appropriate as opposed to Cal's pandering ass and UK fans who think they run the fucking program. Hell, let a couple more of these monster recruiting classes turn out to be as big a shit sandwiches as this year and UK fans will turn on Cal just as quickly as they fell in love with him...

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Roy resurrected the Program from Gut's & Dohnut's ruins, but he is not above questioing (as he seems to believe). He's full of shit about this P.J. Hairston thing, as a helluva lot of people were clamoring for him to make this move at the beginning of the season. Desmond Hubert can't even catch the damn ball half the time, so we were playing a starting lineup of one scorer (Reggie) and two maybes (never knew if McAdoo or Paige would show up). Teams were salivating to jump us from the opening tip. Hell, it was like Senior Night every game, with us trotting out scrubs and keeping our best offensive player chained to the bench.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:36 pm

I said Hairston was a stud early in his freshman year, and he is. He is a somewhat bigger version of Rashad McCants. Not saying he's that good, but he may be. He's basically a cross b/w McCants and Stackhouse. All that said, I still trust Roy to run the team. Sure I can say "I knew Hairston was great his freshman year, Roy should've been starting him since then", but at the end of the day, I spend about 5 or 6 hours a week thinking about Carolina basketball, Roy lives it every second. I just don't think my opinion on anything concerning the team or the program amounts to anything more than a very incomplete and ill-informed observation. I can beat my chest like I KNOW that what I'm saying is the way it should be (like most UK fans), but I know better. I'm quite happy to leave all that headache to Roy. At the very least, I'm sure he is wrong a hell of a lot less than I am when it comes to the hoops program and anything to do with the players. He is certainly operating with a tremendously larger pool of data than I am...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 pm

And to obviate any sass about my claim that I was a Hairston fan early on, see below. Keep in mind, this was all from LAST year when we were loaded, and I still thought Hairston was the best non-big man on the team (although clearly Marshall was more valuable). FWIW, I also said Bullock would end up being better than Harrison Barnes and I stand by that:

Postby hedge » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:13 am
On a final note, Hairston is the real deal. Kinda reminds me of McCants. We've been needing a guy like that...

Postby hedge » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 pm
Hairston is by far my favorite player on this team, and my favorite Carolina player in awhile. His attitude and aggressiveness remind me of a cross b/w Ty Lawson and T.C. McCants. As a player, he's better than Barnes already...

Postby hedge » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:38 pm
Hairston is definitely the best player on the team. Biggest balls by far. I doubt Barnes could've even made the dunk that Hairston destroyed that guy with in the first half. He's got the shot, swagger and athleticism of McCants, and he's taller and bigger. He'll be NPOY next year...

Even Julius "Hongry" Hodge jumped on the Hairston bandwagon:

Postby hedge » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:38 pm
From IC:

"Interesting tweets
Julius Hodge ‏@Follow24Hodge

#random I seriously dont know why #UNC don't play Hairston more mins? I look at the box score and he only avg 16mins w 11ppg! He's a PLAYER!

Seriously speaking and no "art of war" going on here. Hairston is too good to be on the bench for 25mins of the game. Everyone sees that!

P.S. PJ don't RT me neither because one of the guys you better than but getting your mins will run tell coach. believe that!"

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm

I get all that, Hedge, and I don't claim to be a coach. But being above questioning and talking down to fans is k*rzythead territory. I don't ever want Carolina to turn into a dic(khead)tatorship like the kamorons bow down to that asshole.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Don't get me wrong, antiK, I wasn't directing any scorn at you. You may have been railing on Roy somewhere else but I haven't seen you doing it much in here. FWIW, you're my favorite UNC fan by far, so I never discount your opinion about anything to do with any aspect of the program. And I'm not above sassing Roy's corn pone ass for any variety of reasons, including his pasted-on Davy and Goliath hair, his scatter bridge teeth and his liver spot-pocked hide. He is certainly not above questioning, but I draw the line with getting too adamant that I or any fan really knows more about college hoops in general of the UNC program in particular than ol Roy.

And I totally get what you're saying about not wanting UNC fans to kow-tow to every word and decision Roy makes like they do over in Durham, but on the other end of the spectrum, I also don't want us to be like UK where every redneck hilljack fan really thinks they know more about college hoops and the UK team than the coach. Well, unless the coach is Billy Clyde (or UNC's version of Billy Clyde, i.e., Doh). Yes, when shit gets that obvious and that bad, it's time to bring out the pitchforks.

But Roy ain't Billy Clyde and he ain't Doh. I like the equilibrium that UNC fans seem to have struck with regard to the hoops program and staff. We're not lick-spittles like Dook fans and we're not, in general, a bunch of know-it-all experts like UK fans. I'm pretty happy with the big, big picture. In fairness, I suspect Dook and UK fans are happy with their big pictures, too. That's just the nature of the way these things work...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:12 pm

The MIF and I will be at the game tonight, amongst a bunch of other pals of mine. If you or DS (or anybody else) is going let me know and we can hook up...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Image = Image

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:19 pm

I just watched Phantom of the Paradise...

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:53 pm

LMAO @ the pictures. Right back at ya, Hedge. We're on the same page, man.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:07 pm

This UK / UF result just goes to show how wide open the tourny is going to be this year. Couple of weeks ago, everybody was talking about how UF was playing as good as anybody in the country and now they're fixin to get beat by a bad to start with and now injury depleted, NIT-going UK squad. If UK can beat on the the tourny favorites, anybody can win this thing...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Wonder what Billy D said to Cal at the after-game handshake? "Goddamn, man, why didn't I take this job when I had the chaince?"...

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Kentucky holds Florida scoreless for the final 7+ minutes. Now back on the bubble. Biggest win of the year and no, Hedge, there was no court storming.... that's something for the lesser programs. (see indiana)
Last edited by crotch on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Florida with a major bedshitting...If UK can avoid being upset in the opening round of the SEC tourney, that probably just got them into the NCAAs.

Side Note: I don't know eCat at all, other than the links to videos, etc., he's posted here. But when Archie Goodwin blatantly shoved the Florida player for a stupid offensive foul late in the game, I started laughing my ass off, picturing e going apek*rzyt in his den (or in Rupp). Yep, just like I would.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 pm

"Roy resurrected the Program from Gut's & Dohnut's ruins"

The cupboard wasn't exactly bare when he came.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Gators shit the bed bigtime