Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by crotch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Gotta remember eCat... there's 4 first round draft picks on this NIT team. :D Hope the committee matches EKU and UK in the first round of the NIT. EKU by 15.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 pm

"We'll win one more game this season."

The eternal optimist...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 pm

Georgia has a heck of a squad

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:07 pm

hedge wrote:"We'll win one more game this season."

The eternal optimist...
I'm not even sure we'll win the first game of the NIT
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Meanwhile Carolina's season has turned around nicely from the seeming minor disaster that it seemed heading towards. I still don't think we're a great team, but we are certainly a good team and maybe even very good. Of course, based on too many performances this year, there's no way to say I'd be shocked to see us lay a huge egg against a good team, but, considering how weak the field is this year, I wouldn't be shocked to see us beat pretty much anybody, either...

I have thought Hairston had the potential to be a real stud since very early in his career, and I recall saying I thought Bullock was better than Harrison Barnes on several occasions. McAdoo is solid and Strickland has FINALLY shown some spark. At the very least, things are currently playing out much more nicely than they appeared to be heading early on. Looks like we'll be playing Dook twice in the next week, it'd be nice to beat them at least once. Hell, if we beat Dook and win the ACC tourny, we should could be looking at a 4 seed. Not bad for a team on the bubble a few weeks ago. Of course, we could lose to Dook and then again on Friday in the ACC tourny and then we'll be looking at an 8 or 9 seed. Pretty much would amount to the same thing, the only difference being having to play the 1 seed either in the second or the Sweet 16 (if we make it that far). At any rate, March isn't looking as bleak as it seemed a few weeks ago...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Carolina has reason to be optimistic. I see them as a sweet 16, maybe an elite 8
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 pm

UK will get in. Sympathy vote.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 pm

it would be an insult to any team that worked their ass off to put UK in ahead of them.

We have issues that are going to come out at the end of the season.

Cal is going to have to decide if he wants potentially divisive players coming back next year.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:23 pm

What if they want to come back?

The Anti k*
Junior

Post by The Anti k* » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:40 pm

eCat -- I didn't get to watch all the UK-UGA game, but did look up one time and it appeared that Cal was going off on Poythress. Did I see that right?

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Doubt very seriously if Calipari wants another season of Poythress and Goodwin... will advise them to declare. WCS needs to stay at UK and develop his game but doubt that'll happen. Noel is a no brainer. Wiltcher and Harrow will be bench players next season. This season is history.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:34 am

The Anti k* wrote:eCat -- I didn't get to watch all the UK-UGA game, but did look up one time and it appeared that Cal was going off on Poythress. Did I see that right?
yep, Poythress was a no show for last nights game. I"m not even sure this kid wants to play basketball. He's killed his draft stock, but its not just him now - everyone other than Goodwin and WCS are just mailing it in. I'm not sure why but they want this season over as quickly as the fans.

As much as I dog Goodwin about killing the team, at least the kid is bringing it every night. Get us down by 15 points and he turns into Kobe Bryant

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:09 am

I am LMAO that UK has gone from winning the NC to not making the tourny in one year. I don't care if you lost all your starters to the NBA, that's no excuse for not being able to at least make the tourny. I can't remember the last time something like this has happened. Let me think... oh my god.... um... never mind, it's not as bad as I thought...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:11 am

I actually did go to New York for the NIT finals in 2010...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 am

This years UK team just shows how important a vocal leader the PG has to be.

You put Marquis Teague on this team and the whole personality and work ethic changes.

Right now this teams most consistent scorer is a transfer from Wright St (who has score 3 points in the last 74 minutes of play) and our most consistent PG is a walk on who'd have trouble starting for Murray St.

Its not a talent issue as a whole, its a talent issue where you need talent the most. We're like a Viking ship where all the strong oarers are on one side of the boat and we just keep going around in circle no matter how fast you beat the drum

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:23 am

No doubt. I'd love to see this year's Carolina team with Kendall Marshall running the point. I think we would've started the year playing at the level we are at right now (better, actually) and no telling where we'd be now after 4 months of running an essentially no center offense. Not that Henson and Zeller were slugs, they ran the court extremely well for true post players, but with Hairston, Bullock, McAdoo and even Strickland flying down the court, Marshall would've been averaging 15 assists per game, mostly of the 40 foot variety. Of course, Roy would've probably still insisted on playing Joel James and Hubert early in the season just b/c he's that stubborn...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 am

So does Cal now get stuck with the same thing as Roy, i.e., unless he's stocked with lottery caliber talent, he can't "coach"? Or has he always been stuck with that? Also, does UK accept an NIT bid?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 pm

hedge wrote:So does Cal now get stuck with the same thing as Roy, i.e., unless he's stocked with lottery caliber talent, he can't "coach"? Or has he always been stuck with that? Also, does UK accept an NIT bid?

not accepting an NIT bid would be the height of arrogance. We'll take it and hope that we win a few games just to save face and add to the total win count

and I don't think Cal has ever tried to hide from him needing lottery caliber talent to win - but he whiffed badly on thinking Teague would come back and Harrow would be a backup.

The real quandry for UK is - do you want these guys back or do you push them to go pro and ultimately spend their pro career in the D-league for a couple of seasons? How UK fans deal with them over the course of the next 3 weeks may determine whether Cal has a team next year that is talent wise the best assembled (but not necessarily the most cohesive) .

Fifer
Junior

Post by Fifer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 pm

This time the last 3 years I was pissin' my pants with excitment over the tournement. This year I'm watching Blue Jackets hockey and Spring Training baseball. yawn

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 pm

It took you 3 years to realize you needed a Depends undergarment? Dag...