Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Hacksaw's 9:1 Media Thread

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue May 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Hacksaw wrote:Suddenly it's okay to be a tough guy President.

And, evidently, they also seem to have suddenly come to the conclusion that there might just be other possible explanations for why gasoline would cost $4 a gallon -- other than the POTUS being in bed with Big Oil. Imagine that.
Wow. You really are out there. Nobody accepted GWB as a "Tough Guy" President because he was dumber than a box of rocks. Being from Texas doesn't make you tough. Look at aTm.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 pm

My beef in '08 was with XOM and the other members of the national cartel. The obscene profits...fruition after years of mergers and competition-busting.

As for dubya - I think he scuttled an oil company back in the 80's didn't he? I doubt that created a ripple wrt our current oil hikes.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue May 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Environmentalists and environmental policy hold too much sway in DC, yes, even W kowtowed to them w/ethanol edict. If Obammer, or any politician for that matter, really cared about "the poor" and jobs, they'd demand to increase (domestic)supply, thus lowering the price....and the profit.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Hacksaw
Senior
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Tue May 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Dora wrote:The explanation for the oil prices.
Lots of factors: global political unrest, government regulations, limited refinery capacity, international market demand...

I don't claim to be an expert, but I know it's a lot more complicated than "the President's in bed with Big Oil."
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Tue May 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:Suddenly it's okay to be a tough guy President.

And, evidently, they also seem to have suddenly come to the conclusion that there might just be other possible explanations for why gasoline would cost $4 a gallon -- other than the POTUS being in bed with Big Oil. Imagine that.
Wow. You really are out there. Nobody accepted GWB as a "Tough Guy" President because he was dumber than a box of rocks. Being from Texas doesn't make you tough. Look at aTm.
Dubya was criticized for trying to be a tough guy. Whether you or I agree that he was is irrelevant. You don't generally see the same criticism of Obama (who, speaking of dumb, once claimed to have visited 58 of the 60 United States).
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Dora
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Dora » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Hacksaw wrote: Lots of factors: global political unrest, government regulations, limited refinery capacity, international market demand...

I don't claim to be an expert, but I know it's a lot more complicated than "the President's in bed with Big Oil."
So you don't think Obama's got anything to do with it?
Take life with a pinch of salt, a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Tue May 03, 2011 6:01 pm

The President is in bed with Big Oil
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue May 03, 2011 7:44 pm

The two young guys are Big Oil. The guy who gets coffee thrown on him is the American consumer. The manager who gets told to "get back in your f__ing office" is the President - either W or Obama. It doesn't matter which one.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by GBJs » Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 pm

bluetick wrote:My beef in '08 was with XOM and the other members of the national cartel. The obscene profits...fruition after years of mergers and competition-busting.

As for dubya - I think he scuttled an oil company back in the 80's didn't he? I doubt that created a ripple wrt our current oil hikes.
The obscene profits haven't changed. There may or may not be other things, but that part hasn't changed.
Worth. Every. Cent.

smeee
Junior

Post by smeee » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 pm

I pick the prettiest part of the sky and I melt into the wing and then into the air, till I'm just soul on a sunbeam. ~Richard Bach

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Dora wrote:
Hacksaw wrote: Lots of factors: global political unrest, government regulations, limited refinery capacity, international market demand...

So you don't think Obama's got anything to do with it?
Oh, I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of things he could do that would make the situation better. That's not the same as saying that I believe in some sort of conspiracy where he is purposely manipulating the price of gas in order to help his friends.

But then again, no one that I'm aware of is suggesting that about Obama.

Dora
Sophomore

Post by Dora » Wed May 04, 2011 7:17 am

>There are a lot of things he could do that would make the situation better.

Like what?

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State

Post by AugustWest » Wed May 04, 2011 8:17 am

how much is E-85 in your areas?
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Wed May 04, 2011 8:18 am

E-85 sucks ass. Yes, it's cheaper, but when I run it in my car, the drop in mileage eliminates any real savings. Plus, it's fucking up commodity prices.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed May 04, 2011 9:24 am

Dora wrote:>There are a lot of things he could do that would make the situation better.

Like what?
Drill more domestically and remove some of the governmental regulations that have kept us from increasing refinery capacity, for starters. I gave him kudos for showing some initative on drilling more in the Gulf of Mexico. But then the big spill happened and he pussed-out.

Dora
Sophomore

Post by Dora » Wed May 04, 2011 9:40 am

According to the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 67750.html: "Oil-drilling activity in the U.S. has accelerated to a pace not seen in a generation as energy companies, oilfield contractors and landowners rush to exploit newly profitable sources of crude. The number of rigs aiming for oil in the U.S. is the highest since at least 1987, according to Baker Hughes Inc. The 818 rigs tallied by the oilfield-service company last week are nearly double last year's count and about 10 times the number that were drilling for oil in the late 1990s."

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Wed May 04, 2011 10:00 am

Hacksaw...don't forget the libs who proclaimed when Clinto was elected...

"Those are OUR planes now!"
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed May 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Dora wrote:According to the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 67750.html: "Oil-drilling activity in the U.S. has accelerated to a pace not seen in a generation as energy companies, oilfield contractors and landowners rush to exploit newly profitable sources of crude. The number of rigs aiming for oil in the U.S. is the highest since at least 1987, according to Baker Hughes Inc. The 818 rigs tallied by the oilfield-service company last week are nearly double last year's count and about 10 times the number that were drilling for oil in the late 1990s."
Sounds great. But it's clearly not enough. And that article really seems to reinforce my original point (which we've strayed from a bit) that Obama has been treated quite differently than Bush was on the issue of gas prices and, by extension, oil policy.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 04, 2011 3:27 pm

"Sounds great. But it's clearly not enough."

With you, it never is.

Dora
Sophomore

Post by Dora » Wed May 04, 2011 3:33 pm

>Sounds great. But it's clearly not enough.

Actually, what it shows is that more drilling at home ≠ lower gas prices. Just because 'our' oil companies can save by drilling locally rather than shipping across the ocean, does not mean they will pass the savings on to consumers.