Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:07 pm

sardis wrote:
bluetick wrote:Fun facts about the state of the American healthcare delivery system pre- October/2013:

Census Bureau records show that 48.6 million Americans were uninsured in 2011.

As of 2012, 75 million people reported problems paying their medical bills or were paying off medical debt, up from 73 million in 2010 and 58 million in 2005. (source: Commonwealth Fund 2013)

A 2005 Harvard study found that medical problems contributed to half of all personal bankruptcies filed in the U.S. A majority of the filers had medical insurance.

U.S. hospitals provided $41.1 billion in incompensated care in 2011, representing 5.9 percent of annual hospital expenses. (source: American Hospital Association)

In 2010, 41 percent of adults (ages 19-64) reported that they had medical debt or trouble paying medical bills, and 22 percent had been contacted by a collection agency for unpaid medical bills. (source: The Commonwealth Fund Biennial Health Insurance Survey 2012)

In 2012 annual premiums for families covered by employer-sponsored health insurance were $15,745. Premiums have risen 97 percent since 2002, whereas wages increased only 4.7%. (source: HRET September 2012)

Annual out-of-pocket responsibility for families covered by employer-sponsored health insurance in 2012 was $4,316. (source HRET September 2012)

So the remedy is to fuck up the remaining 230 million people...

Oh wait, I forgot,

“First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-3 ... t-say.html

the following says it all....
The Democrats aren't experiencing beans. They've figured out that songs of empathy, and talking about the threats to your lady parts are pretty much all they have to do to stay competitive. People will ignore basic math if you give them enough of a warm fuzzy. Especially if the warm fuzzy feeling is accompanied by the promise of someone else's money.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 am

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by crashcourse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 am

I blame the tea party!

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 am

Surpassed you didn't build that and you're doing a fine job Brownie, and now headed to the stratosphere past Read my lips....

[youtube]wfl55GgHr5E[/youtube]
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:43 am

Nothing will surpass nuclear power pants in our lifetime.

[youtube]RHU6aqt08dA[/youtube]
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

10ac
Senior
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:50 am

Are you saying that because he mispronounced plants, he lied? Or are you saying Obama meant to say will when he said will not?
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:54 am

"No new taxes"

"Mission Accomplished"

"I am not a crook"

They all lie.

billy bob bocephus
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by billy bob bocephus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:00 am

you forgot "I did not have sex with that woman."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:25 am

Another Obamacare horror story debunked

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... z2jPJqbwOH

By Michael Hiltzik
October 30, 2013, 3:26 p.m.

Deborah Cavallaro is a hard-working real estate agent in the Westchester suburb of Los Angeles who has been featured prominently on a round of news shows lately, talking about how badly Obamacare is going to cost her when her existing plan gets canceled and she has to find a replacement.

She says she's angry at President Obama for having promised that people who like their health plans could keep them, when hers is getting canceled for not meeting Obamacare's standards.

"Please explain to me," she told Maria Bartiromo on CNBC Wednesday, "how my plan is a 'substandard' plan when ... I'd be paying more for the exchange plans than I am currently paying by a wide margin."

Bartiromo didn't take her up on her request. So I will.

The bottom line is that Cavallaro's assertion that "there's nothing affordable about the Affordable Care Act," as she put it Tuesday on NBC Channel 4, is the product of her own misunderstandings, abetted by a passel of uninformed and incurious news reporters.

I talked with Cavallaro, 60, after her CNBC appearance. Let's walk through what she told me.

Her current plan, from Anthem Blue Cross, is a catastrophic coverage plan for which she pays $293 a month as an individual policyholder. It requires her to pay a deductible of $5,000 a year and limits her out-of-pocket costs to $8,500 a year. Her plan also limits her to two doctor visits a year, for which she shoulders a copay of $40 each. After that, she pays the whole cost of subsequent visits.

This fits the very definition of a nonconforming plan under Obamacare. The deductible and out-of-pocket maximums are too high, the provisions for doctor visits too skimpy.

As for a replacement plan, she says she was quoted $478 a month by her insurance broker, but that's a lot more than she'll really be paying. Cavallaro told me she hasn't checked the website of Covered California, the state's health plan exchange, herself. I did so while we talked.

Here's what I found. I won't divulge her current income, which is personal, but this year it qualifies her for a hefty federal premium subsidy.

At her age, she's eligible for a good "silver" plan for $333 a month after the subsidy -- $40 a month more than she's paying now. But the plan is much better than her current plan -- the deductible is $2,000, not $5,000. The maximum out-of-pocket expense is $6,350, not $8,500. Her co-pays would be $45 for a primary care visit and $65 for a specialty visit -- but all visits would be covered, not just two.

Is that better than her current plan? Yes, by a mile.

If she wanted to pay less, Cavallaro could opt for lesser coverage in a "bronze" plan. She could buy one from the California exchange for as little as $194 a month. From Anthem, it's $256, or $444 a year less than she's paying now. That buys her a $5,000 deductible (the same as she's paying today) but the out-of-pocket limit is lower, $6,350. Office visits would be $60 for primary care and $70 for specialties, but again with no limit on the number of visits. Factor in the premium savings, and it's hard to deny that she's still ahead.

Cavallaro told me a couple of things that are worth considering. First, what she likes about her current plan is that she can go to any doctor of her choice and any hospital. That's not entirely true, because her current plan with Anthem does favor a network. Plainly, however, it's broad enough to serve her purposes. She's concerned that the new plans will offer smaller networks, which is probably true, though it's not necessarily true that the new networks will exclude her favorite doctors, hospitals or prescription formularies.

She also mentioned that her annual income fluctuates. It can be substantially lower, or substantially higher, than it is this year. What if next year she earns too much to qualify for the subsidy? Also a fair point -- at her current income, the subsidy is worth more than $200 a month to her. But that's not the same as saying that "there's nothing affordable about the Affordable Care Act," because at her current income, the act is vastly more affordable to her than what she's paying now.

When she told Channel 4 that "for the first time in my whole life, I will be without insurance," it's hard to understand what she was talking about. (Channel 4 didn't ask.) Better plans than she has now are available for her to purchase today, some of them for less money.

The sad truth is that Cavallaro has been very poorly served by the health insurance industry and the news media. It seems that Anthem didn't adequately explain her options for 2014 when it disclosed that her current plan is being canceled. If her insurance brokers told her what she says they did, they failed her. And the reporters who interviewed her without getting all the facts produced inexcusably shoddy work -- from Maria Bartiromo on down. They not only did her a disservice, but failed the rest of us too.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

Obamacare hysteria: Don't believe the canceled insurance hype

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik ... z2jPJqbwOH

Consider the case of Diane Barrette, the 56-year-old Florida woman whose cancellation horror story was reported by a credulous CBS News and picked up by Fox News, which has been a one-stop shop for your Obamacare misinformation needs. (We mentioned the Barrette case on Tuesday.)

CR's Metcalf examined Barrette's Blue Cross Blue Shield policy and made two discoveries: how junky it really is, and how badly her insurer may have misled her about her options. Barrette's $54 monthly premium bought her almost nothing. The policy pays $50 per office visit (which can run two or three times that) and $15 per prescription (which can run to thousands of dollars a month); above that she's on her own. Nothing for a colonoscopy. Nothing for mental health treatment. Up to $50 for hospital and ER services -- and then only if her treatment is for "complications of pregnancy." Nothing for outpatient services.

"She's paying $650 a year to be uninsured," said an insurance expert Metcalf consulted. If she ever had a serious medical problem, "she would have lost the house she's sitting in."

As for the replacement plan her insurer offered, at a shocking $591 a month? Barrette has much better options via the government insurance exchange. (Or she will once the federal system gets running.) Metcalf estimated that she'll be eligible for "real insurance that covers all essential health benefits" for as little as $165 a month -- a higher premium than she's paying now, sure, but one that won't cost her her home.

That raises the question of whether the insurers sending out these cancellation notices are trying to cheat their customers, a point made by Paul Waldman at the American Prospect and echoed by Kevin Drum at Mother Jones. Expecting insurance companies to play fair with their customers is as pointless as expecting dogs not to drink from the toilet, but what's the excuse of the reporters who retail these yarns without fully checking them out?
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:11 pm

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Heh
Let 'er Blow!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:01 pm

October Bloodiest Month in Iraq Since 2008 - Yahoo News

China Reaping Benefits of Iraqi Oil Boom - NY Times

"We lost out," said Michael Makovsky, a former Defense Department official in the Bush administration who worked on Iraq oil policy. "The Chinese had nothing to do with the war, but from an economic standpoint they are benefiting from it, and our Fifth Fleet and air forces are helping to assure their supply."
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Hopefully gas is still cheap tomorrow

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Better go fill up now
My Dad is my hero still.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:45 am

bluetick wrote:puter, my BCBS premium is going down 12% and the colonoscopy I'm going to have next year will not be subject to my 2500 deductible (as it would have been under my Blue Network plan). That is MY reality. I like paying less and getting more.

My youngest son works for the Town of Farragut so he is unaffected. My oldest son (26) has an individual BCBS plan that will increase 30% (140mo to 180mo). He doesn't like the increase but he is getting more coverage than he had...he is paying more and getting more.

I'm betting your group health coverage has seen huge rate increases premium-wise for years, while your coverage slipped. Paid (much) more, and got less with higher deductibles and out-of-pocket. Do you think that trend was magically going to turn itself around? You seriously want to stay the course with our broken healthcare distribution system? Would you be okay with providing national defense to 85% of the country - or primary education?

But who am I arguing with. Somebody who thinks SS is an evil ponzi scheme.
Never said I wasn't open to trying to fix some things. Opramacare isn't it. I'd be curious to know if your coverage is exactly the same but cheaper? Or if there were changes..oldest son off it now? Move to an in-network only (execpt for emergency)? Same percent covered? Deductibles etc. And I have a question: Why should the colonoscopy not have a co-pay and be subject to the deductible? Why should it be mandated that its "free"?

Health Insurance is NOT a right tick. By law someone cannot be turned away from an ER. They cannot be denied CARE. There is a difference between health insurance and heath care, but libs have succeeded with the media blurring the meaning to be the same thing to the masses. Exercising a RIGHT does not require you to take something from someone else by force. Exercising my religion, right to bear arms, or speech doesn't take anything from someone else like their time, expertise, or money.

Opramacare is about control and creating dependency for votes. What business is it of government to dictate what kind of insurance I choose to have? If that, then why not what kind of car (global warming ya know), how big your house is, etc.

And.....

"A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that pays returns to its investors from their own money or the money paid by subsequent investors"

How does this not describe what SS is? Retirees now get paid by those working. There are no returns that generated the money paid to current retirees. It would be illegal for a private citizen to do what the govt did. I'm not saying I disagree with the concept, but FDR set the retirement age higher then life expectancy. It hasn't changed since inception. I still would love to find out what my Grandfather would have had in a 401k type account if he had been allowed to invest even his 6%+ in his own account and just tied to the DOW. He died at 59.5 and never saw a nickel of it. What a great program. It punishes black males the most since they have the lowest life expectancy.

Brick by Brick

Johnette's Daddy
Senior

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:30 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... g/3360565/

WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — A wedding at West Point of two graduates will be the first at the storied military academy between two men.

Larry Choate III, class of 2009, will marry Daniel Lennox, class of 2007, on Saturday at the U.S. Military Academy's Cadet Chapel.

West Point hosted two same-sex weddings of women in late 2012, more than a year after New York legalized gay marriage. But this is the first time two men are being wed at West Point.

Choate said Friday that the landmark Gothic chapel is a special place and it's an honor to be wed there.

Both men are out of the military. Lennox, from Washington, D.C, is getting his master's degree in business administration at Harvard University in Massachusetts. Choate, from Seattle, works at the business school there.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:45 am

Told ya all years ago that there would be a push for this as more docs refuse to participate...

"Virginia Democrat Calls For Forcing Doctors To Accept Medicare And Medicaid Patients - FYI last night at the Great Falls Grange debate, Democrat delegate candidate Kathleen Murphy said that since many doctors are not accepting medicaid and medicare patients, she advocates making it a legal requirement for those people to be accepted. "

Shocker. Now some docs would just retire instead of making little to money, but now thanks to our dickhead chief justice the congress could actually tax docs to death if they refuse to practice. You're under 60? No retirement for you. Practice or pay a 50,000 dollar tax per year. Now this would be extremely unlikely to pass congress, but thanks to the dickhead chief justice it would actually be legal if they could pass it.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:03 pm

[youtube]KxWMbqxgMDo[/youtube]
Let 'er Blow!

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Great video.

14:20 on listening to President Reagan is just chilling. The last statement in last minute is where we are right fucking now.

We are not FREE. We can only tell out children and our children's children what it was like in America when we WERE free.