Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Uncle Bud

Post by Owlman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 pm

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/parent ... 00162.html

It was just like something out of a TV show, at least at first: Two Connecticut parents returned home from a trip a day early to find their teenage daughters hosting a party at their Glastonbury house last Sunday.

But here's where it diverges a bit from the script: Mom and Dad didn't just yell, they called the cops, reports the Hartford Courant. It was "the right thing to do," an officer says. The girls, 15 and 16, were arrested and charged with permitting a minor to possess alcohol.
It's just a wee bit different than what happened two weeks prior in the same town, also as reported by the Courant: Christopher Nixon, 49, and his wife, Shawn Nixon, 50, were arrested after their teen threw a Sept. 27 party attended by more than 100 teens; neighbors complained, and the responding police found beer, liquor, and a vomiting teen, and picked up the scent of marijuana.

The Nixons, who were home during the party, didn't supply the teens with the items, but police say they "turned a blind eye" to all the illegal activity.
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:46 am

I don't think it's the right thing to do to call the cops on your own kids. Sure, shut the party down and ground them (etc), but don't ever call the cops on your own fambly for shit like that. That is manifestly the wrong thing to do...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:31 am

I'd say those girls will bolt once they turn 18 and not look back
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 am

Yeah, it's all well and good if the judge uses this as a scare tactic and dismisses all charges. Otherwise, the parents are rolling the dice impacting their kids future over something that is pretty within the "socially accepted teenager" wheelhouse.

As a parent of honey-colored children, no way I call the cops. I can't trust the judge or prosecutor to mete out justice in a tempered fashion. I would shut down the party and most likely hostage every kid and have their parents come pick them up.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Well obviously if black kids are involved, there's going to be crack. So that's a little more serious...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:06 pm

that's racist! Dick.

I'm too rich for any crack to be there. It would be molly and cocaine, thank you very much.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 pm

I'd hostage them too but I'd keep an eye on the one black kid at this suburban party. He keeps eyeballing my daughter.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 pm

"I'm too rich for any crack to be there."

Now see, that's just pure snobbery. My brother is rich as hell and he was a crackhead (clean for the last 14 years, though)...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Yeah, but that one black kid will be the star (QB, Running, Receiver, Linebacker...or all 4) on the high school squad. You can't stop him from doing what he probably has already done to your daughter. The eyeballing may be him only reminiscing...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:15 pm

hedge wrote:"I'm too rich for any crack to be there."

Now see, that's just pure snobbery. My brother is rich as hell and he was a crackhead (clean for the last 14 years, though)...
Well, your brother probably had his crack introduction before it found its place in the socio-economic drug hierarchy. Nowadays, you spend the money for a good bump of yay. No need for that crack shit with the annoying smell and social stigma. Coke heads don't even like being around cracky. The paranoia fucks with their high.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:29 pm

That's why I prefer heroin...

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Bklyn wrote:Yeah, but that one black kid will be the star (QB, Running, Receiver, Linebacker...or all 4) on the high school squad. You can't stop him from doing what he probably has already done to your daughter. The eyeballing may be him only reminiscing...
I'll let him see her depending on how many D-1 offers he gets. He's a real good QB though.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:02 pm

I wouldn't willingly introduce legal issues into the family.

Then again, I've been at a high school house party where the china cabinet with a bunch of crystal was dumped over in the midst of a fight.

Ron Jennings knew he was gonna get a serious ass beating when his pops got home. That was a definite "PARTY"S OVER, GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE" moment. He probably would have preferred jail as opposed to what came his way that week.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:13 pm

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... cmpid=hpts

Police are looking for an $80,000 Audi coupe stolen from a Houston dealership after a test drive.

The gray 2014 Audi RS5 disappeared about 11:30 a.m. Oct. 17 from Audi West Houston, 11850 Katy Freeway, Houston police said.

A man in his 30s came into the dealership to look at some vehicles and test drove one, said Houston Police Department spokesman Kese Smith said.

After the test drive, the man was with the salesman in his office.

"The salesman left to speak with the manager, and the suspect took the keys to the vehicle and drove off," he said.

A witness who saw the man take the keys said he appeared to signal another man who was driving a white Range Rover, and the two men left at the same time, Smith said.

The dealership is offering a $5,000 reward for the return of the car or information leading to a conviction, an employee said.[/quote]
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Been to many parties like that e. Never was dumb enough to host one though knowing my parents.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:51 pm

never would have gotten away with it. Too many people knew my father and word would have gotten back to him. That would have led to major pain.

The worst thing my father did, 4 day lectures. You think he's done than all of a sudden, it's the attack again. Champion debater that demands and answer. Very, very harsh.
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Shocked family discovers wrong man in casket at father's funeral

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... cmpid=hpts

A family is still in shock after learning during their loved one's funeral that the body in the casket was someone else.

Jerry D. Moon, 72, of the southern Washington town of Castle Rock, died earlier this month at a hospice in a neighboring town.

At his funeral Oct. 21, the family wanted to say a final good-bye and asked that his casket be opened.

They were taken aback to see another man, who was at least 20 years older than Moon, said one of his sons, Randy Moon, of Chehalis, Wash.

In contrast to his father, the man in the casket was "not in very good shape," Randy Moon said.

"My sister and I were with him when he was passing on the very last day," Moon said. "We commented on how good he still looked, like a healthy man, even though he had cancer so bad."

According to KIRO-TV in Seattle, the man in the casket had a plastic bag over his head and was wearing Jerry Moon's clothes. A photo of Moon and his wife was inside the casket, KIRO said.

One of the worst aspects of the situation, Randy Moon said, was that his father ended up being cremated, much against his own wishes and those of the family.

"We are devastated by that," he said.

The funeral took place at Brown Mortuary in Chehalis, Wash., part of Houston-based Service Corporation International.

In response to questions about the incident, the company said it does not comment specifically on any client families or their situations. It provided this statement:

"We believe we have the very best training in the industry and that our policies and procedures are outstanding. However, from time to time mistakes are made. When that happens, our policy is one of full disclosure to the family and we work with them to come to an accord."

Randy Moon said funeral home representatives had names and phone numbers of six or seven family members involved in planning Jerry Moon's service but none of them received a call within the promised two hours after the funeral.

"We all waited at the reception, hoping that ultimately we would end up having a graveside service anyway by finding our dad," he said. "I still haven't received a call. I feel we each should have gotten a call by now."

The family is eager to learn how the confusion occurred and to get on with the grieving process, he said.

"We're sure ready to receive some sort of remains so we can put them where he wanted to be honored, so we can go there and have a memorial," he said.

Jerry Moon is survived by his wife, Janice Moon, four children and two step-children, two brothers and numerous extended family members.
My Dad is my hero still.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:13 pm

I threw parties at my house all of the time when I was a teenager. Hell, the neighborhood crime watch had a meeting one night just to discuss the shit going on when my parents were at our place on the Pamlico or out of town. Still, no one called the cops. Then again, that's a damn miracle given that the son of the District Attorney was always helping to throw the parties and the children of several local officials and prominent community members were always present. When my dad had enough, he simply told me that if I had another party (this was the summer after my freshman year of college), all money would be cut off. He was a man of his word. The parties ended.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:44 pm

When my parents went away we told them about our party plans and they were cool with it. They trusted us way too much. We did all become (sorta) responsible adults though...so there is that.