Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Owlman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:07 pm

The point is, that the number highlighted by that post (not sure the source) means nothing without that retirement number being teased out. It could be that the number is smaller than expected based on the number of Baby Boomers retiring. Then again, it could be higher than expected. Without more explanation, it means nothing.
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Nobody should work if they don't want to...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Let 'er Blow!

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

How about that? ABC, CBS and NBC got it right for a change
My Dad is my hero still.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Owlman wrote:The point is, that the number highlighted by that post (not sure the source) means nothing without that retirement number being teased out. It could be that the number is smaller than expected based on the number of Baby Boomers retiring. Then again, it could be higher than expected. Without more explanation, it means nothing.
But it would also render the lowering of the unemployment rate meaningless as to the job growth in the economy since it lowers the denominator.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Actually, if they don't account the baby boomer retirements in the employment numbers, then they potentially would be considered unemployed and the unemployment number would be higher. I don't know how they do it truthfully. My understanding though is that retirements are including in unemployment numbers, but that could be in error.
My Dad is my hero still.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:28 am

Owlman wrote:Actually, if they don't account the baby boomer retirements in the employment numbers, then they potentially would be considered unemployed and the unemployment number would be higher. I don't know how they do it truthfully. My understanding though is that retirements are including in unemployment numbers, but that could be in error.
I remember when they first changed the formula. Prior to Reagan, active duty military were not counted as part of the workforce. As unemployment shot up during Reagan's first recession, his administration started counting active duty military, adding 2.1 million people to the workforce @100% employment, which gave the illusion of a decrease in the UE rate when (under the old system) UE actually increased.
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 am

My uncle sends me this stuff, maybe I should tell him to start posting in here. This is from Larry the cable guy...

Everyone concentrates on the problems we're having in Our Country lately: Illegal immigration, hurricane recovery, alligators attacking people in Florida ... Not me -- I concentrate on solutions for the problems -- it's a win-win situation. Dig a moat the length of the Mexican border. Send the dirt to New Orleans to raise the level of the levees. Put the Florida alligators in the moat along the Mexican border.

Any other problems you would like for me to solve today?
Think about this:
1. Cows
2. The Constitution
3. The Ten Commandments

COWS:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she slept in the state of Washington? And, they tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

THE CONSTITUTION:
They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq . Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore.

THE 10 COMMANDMENTS:
The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a courthouse is this: you cannot post 'Thou Shalt Not Steal' 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery' and 'Thou Shall Not Lie' in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians, it creates a hostile work environment.

Also, think about this..... if you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!
GET 'ER DONE

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:02 pm

From yesterday....shameless prevaricator.....I give you exhibit 1A:

Interview on CNN.

GUPTA: You know, according to Congressional investigators, just weeks before the launch, about two thirds of insurers had some concerns — specific concerns that the — the Web site would not be ready. Just days before the launch, a test was conducted and the Web site crashed with just a few hundred users at that time.

How was the decision made to still go forward?

SEBELIUS: Well, Sanjay, there are people in this country who have waited decades for affordable health coverage for themselves and their families. I see them all over the country. You probably saw them on your recent bus tour, people who are so eager for this to happen.

And what’s clear is we have a product. The product really works. We have created a market where there wasn’t a market. People have competitive private plans at affordable prices. They have the advantage, if they don’t have employer paying a share of their coverage, they are going to have some tax help paying a share of their coverage.

So waiting is not really an option. People can sign up on the Web site, at the call center, in person.

...we have a product...the product really works...

I think we can add abject ignorance to the list.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm

We have created a market where there wasn’t a market.....

Good lord...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:We have created a market where there wasn’t a market.....

Good lord...
That jumped out at me as well, Toe...

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:51 pm

[youtube]eupEkeYOhj4[/youtube]
Let 'er Blow!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:16 am

Play his speech backwards. You'll hear it.

Paul is dead.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 am

Forwards or backwards....yer screwed....

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5 ... -coverage/

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:04 pm

[img2]http://media.washtimes.com/media/image/ ... 6597f6c02b[/img2]
Marines are decrying a new look President Obama has planned for their uniforms — namely, a unisex-style cap that they say looks more French than American, more “girly” than hard-charging.
“We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets and the DoD [Department of Defense] is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats,” one senior Marine said to The New York Post. “The Marines deserve better. It makes them look ridiculous.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z2ilJN0RzJ
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Let 'er Blow!

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:22 pm

10ac wrote:[img2]http://media.washtimes.com/media/image/ ... 6597f6c02b[/img2]
Marines are decrying a new look President Obama has planned for their uniforms — namely, a unisex-style cap that they say looks more French than American, more “girly” than hard-charging.
“We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets and the DoD [Department of Defense] is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats,” one senior Marine said to The New York Post. “The Marines deserve better. It makes them look ridiculous.”

When we (as a society) successfully bullshit ourselves into thinking that we are wealthy enough (as a society) to spend the time and money to CARE about bullshit feminist ideals (when they run contrary to harsh reality) this is what you get.

Reality would stipulate that there should be NO WOMEN in the United States Marine Corps. You are a woman and you want to serve your country in the Armed Forces? Fine. Join the chAir Force or work human resources/recruiting for the Army. Stay the FUCK out of the Marine Corps. And NO young lady, you may NOT join the Navy and serve on a warship because (after a 6+ month tour, living among mostly fit young horny men, smelling their hormones all day and all night) your vagina and anus will still start to tingle for cock and you will probably wind up pregnant.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:23 pm

OK. I give. Which one of you jokers is IB?

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 am

10ac wrote:

Seriously. oprama is designing dress hats. Um huh.

And love the "We don't have enough funding for bullets" line. 770 billion a year for defense spending and there's not enough bullets for that marine? I'm thinking he doesn't know where to look.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:25 am

Some things in here don't react well to bullets.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Johnette's Daddy
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: USC

Post by Johnette's Daddy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:36 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
10ac wrote:[img2]http://media.washtimes.com/media/image/ ... 6597f6c02b[/img2]

When we (as a society) successfully bullshit ourselves into thinking that we are wealthy enough (as a society) to spend the time and money to CARE about bullshit feminist ideals (when they run contrary to harsh reality) this is what you get.

Reality would stipulate that there should be NO WOMEN in the United States Marine Corps. You are a woman and you want to serve your country in the Armed Forces? Fine. Join the chAir Force or work human resources/recruiting for the Army. Stay the FUCK out of the Marine Corps. And NO young lady, you may NOT join the Navy and serve on a warship because (after a 6+ month tour, living among mostly fit young horny men, smelling their hormones all day and all night) your vagina and anus will still start to tingle for cock and you will probably wind up pregnant.
Much ado about nothing. I was in the Navy during a uniform change (under St. Reagan), everyone pissed & moaned, covers were too girly, jacket looked gay, etc., then kept it moving. Only difference was no one blamed POTUS - we figured there was some DoD committee on uniforms that had studied the crap for 15 years and made the decision. I remember the brouhaha over the switch from jungle cammies to desert cammies - "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!" - and then people got over it.

As for BAMs (Broad-Assed Marines), I actually served with some and most of them made better Marines than their male counterparts. My younger brother (Naval Aviator) flew with female Marine aviators and readily admits that one outflew him (and my brother's ego is huge).
During a press conference later, O'Mara was asked if he had any advice for Zimmerman, and he answered, "Pay me."