Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Owlman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 am

Miguel Tejada gets 105 games for amphetamines (something most of the current HOF members probably used).

And while I don't have a problem with the suspension, why is it 105 games? Under the CBA, 2nd drug test, 100 games. That's what Manny got. That's what Tejada should get. And while Tejada will probably just retire rather than face the suspension, the players union should be challenging all suspensions that don't adhere to the CBA, otherwise it just says the commissioner can do what ever he wants despite the CBA.
My Dad is my hero still.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Here is where hedge would quote Archer (technically Pam) and say "sploosh."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/oh ... 29959.html
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:25 pm

and in other news, online safe sales have risen dramatically in the last 5 days.

Seriously, I wouldn't tell a soul if that happened to me.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:42 pm

He should have never been suspended.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:18 am

Czar Bloomberg claims his PD doesn't racial profile, and then argues for the right to racial profile in the same few paragraphs...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 am

I wonder how many times a day we are profiled - directly and indirectly - everyone of us. I'm not dumb enough to ask why race is a hot button issue, but I am willing to ask how can you look at the statistics regarding crime and race that are presented and *not* agree that profiling is going to happen as a result of them.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:02 pm

eCat wrote:I wonder how many times a day we are profiled - directly and indirectly - everyone of us. I'm not dumb enough to ask why race is a hot button issue, but I am willing to ask how can you look at the statistics regarding crime and race that are presented and *not* agree that profiling is going to happen as a result of them.
I wouldn't call it a self-fulfilling exercise if not for the fact that the highest pct of actual arrests via SandF are whites. Yet, that fact did not increase the stops of whites by the police. Also, on a personal note, I've seen more drugs (usage and presence) in my profession than I ever did in some of the roughest East Coast cities I've visited. I know cats who get their coke deliveries to their office.

I also find it the most telling that the judge did not call SandF unconstitutional, just that its application appeared race-based. To get around it all they need to do is stop more white people. Bloomberg isn't for that. If that happened, the tactic would live about 6 months before it ended.

So, I challenge the "race/crime" stat argument is not valid.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Bklyn wrote:
eCat wrote:I wonder how many times a day we are profiled - directly and indirectly - everyone of us. I'm not dumb enough to ask why race is a hot button issue, but I am willing to ask how can you look at the statistics regarding crime and race that are presented and *not* agree that profiling is going to happen as a result of them.
I wouldn't call it a self-fulfilling exercise if not for the fact that the highest pct of actual arrests via SandF are whites. Yet, that fact did not increase the stops of whites by the police. Also, on a personal note, I've seen more drugs (usage and presence) in my profession than I ever did in some of the roughest East Coast cities I've visited. I know cats who get their coke deliveries to their office.

I also find it the most telling that the judge did not call SandF unconstitutional, just that its application appeared race-based. To get around it all they need to do is stop more white people. Bloomberg isn't for that. If that happened, the tactic would live about 6 months before it ended.

So, I challenge the "race/crime" stat argument is not valid.
so the results of SandF are an indicator of who is committing the highest % of crimes?

and to your note about drugs - not doubt the largest number of drug users are white, and probably on the whole lean toward more middle class at least to start - but who is selling the drugs. The people out here in the burbs don't go to the burbs to buy drugs, they go downtown.

For the record I think SandF is bullshit, its no better than pulling someone over a brake light that is out with the intent to search the car, but I do agree you focus your resources on where crime is occurring.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:48 pm

I don't see why selling drugs is any worse than using drugs. Neither one should be illegal, and at the very least one shouldn't be "more illegal" than the other...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:55 pm

I have no problem with Stop & Frisk. Just keeping the community safe.

They should also have a Stop & Make Them Pull Their Pants Up thing too.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:13 pm

So you selectively decide what is acceptable illegal behavior and what is not? It helps some people sleep better, I guess. I have a problem with it when you want to site crime stats (which arrests play a big part of that) then say that a large group of individuals should not have their activity criminalized because they don't live in the high distribution areas...just the high usage ones.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Hey, if a kid or an adult is hanging out at 2am on a street known for crime I have no problem with the cops shaking them down. White or Black or Mexican. Nothing good ever happens after midnight so if the cops want to make sure none of them have guns or other weapons I'm all for it. Last year we had a 13 year old girl shot dead in the head walking home from a community outreach program. So yes, I'm good with it.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Safety at all costs, heh? The population could be a whole lot safer if we adopt China's court system.

I don't like it because it oversteps the law. You notice that the mayor is not arguing the legality of it, he's arguing that it makes us safer. When you allow police to overstep a law you have eliminated a boundary and are subject to abuses by certain members of the force because there is nothing tht tells them they went to far. It's the same pinciple as the NSA. Once they have overstepped the constitution once, there is no guideline to say when they have gone too far, which, right now, they feel they will never reach.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah, its horrible. Do bad things happen? Yeah. Is there any evidence that this helps? Nope. If it does, how about we carry it further: mandate that citizens give a house key to cops and allow random searches at any time? Of course not.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Everyone should be required to quarter at least one soldier.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Make me your king and I promise you your safety.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:31 pm

sardis wrote:Safety at all costs, heh? The population could be a whole lot safer if we adopt China's court system.

I don't like it because it oversteps the law. You notice that the mayor is not arguing the legality of it, he's arguing that it makes us safer. When you allow police to overstep a law you have eliminated a boundary and are subject to abuses by certain members of the force because there is nothing tht tells them they went to far. It's the same pinciple as the NSA. Once they have overstepped the constitution once, there is no guideline to say when they have gone too far, which, right now, they feel they will never reach.
Thanks. Saved me the key strokes.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by BigRedMan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:03 am

Real simple - Don't start none, won't be none.

And I agree with Rat (spits on the ground), there is NO reason to be standing on the corner at 2AM just hanging the fuck out especially if the area is known for having issues.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:28 am

what about 10pm, or 7pm?
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:28 am

that pretty much isn't a race issue either.