Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:15 pm

McCain is trying to end the NFL's blackout rule...at least in stadiums built with public money. That's probably most if not all of them?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07 ... -financed/

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:44 pm

McSame didn't introduce this bill. To say so is stupid. This bill was introduced a long time ago. MCSame is just the latest to try & grab hold of it.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:06 pm

White Latinos 1. Black Hoodie Dudes 0.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Does McCain threaten to invade the stadiums that might be harboring terrorists?
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 pm

only if Bush told him they were there

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Worth remembering that not everyone gets the benefit of doubt on the "stand your ground" law.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... er-ground/

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Worth remembering, Zimmerman did. Its a great day for white Latinos !!

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:03 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Worth remembering that not everyone gets the benefit of doubt on the "stand your ground" law.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... er-ground/
Lesson learned: kill and make sure dead. then can't testify
My Dad is my hero still.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:45 am

Well, both were treated the same by the state. Both were prosecuted by the same prosecutor. The difference is a jury's decision so you must be inferring the jury in the Zimmerman case was either racist, stupid, or IBs opinion that women cant think rationally.

BTW, where was Al Sharpton when that case was presented? Where was CNN? Why was the Zimmerman case so...special?

Big Orange Junky
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by Big Orange Junky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 am

LOL, I MAR most but saw the discussion about women professionals. I am reminded of a guy that as an OB intern presented the new literature showing it took on average 4 women OB/GYN's to equal one male OB/GYN due to them wanting "motherhood" and joining 4 women groups and only practicing 3 months out of the year. He was armed with literature and statistics but he was THE ONLY MALE in the entire OB//GYN program at the time. He was very intelligent, scored in the top 1% of the US on all his board exams etc and you can imagine that he had the ego to go with it. That went over much as you imagine but he was forever branded as having balls of steel.

Just thought that was funny given the discussion. He did have the proof as it were with the statistics but that didn't make it any easier on him, and he was just an intern at that. That was a tough year for him LMBO. I don't know if that is still true, but that was what the numbers were showing 8 years ago but I still think it is funny as hell that an intern would have the balls to present that to an all female OB/GYN audience.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:41 am

sardis wrote:Well, both were treated the same by the state. Both were prosecuted by the same prosecutor. The difference is a jury's decision so you must be inferring the jury in the Zimmerman case was either racist, stupid, or IBs opinion that women cant think rationally.

BTW, where was Al Sharpton when that case was presented? Where was CNN? Why was the Zimmerman case so...special?
Difference could be as owl said...Zimmerman made sure the only other real witness was dead. I'm sure he'll make sure none of these fuckin black hoodie wearing thugs come through his neighborhood in the future.

BTW, Gule or somebody said that Martin was trespassing earlier. That is wrong. He was visiting his dad and his dad's girlfriend who lived in the gated community and in fact had every reason to be there.

Only Zimmerman didn't think blacks belonged around there so he followed him.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 am

Those numbers don't work out unless there are extremely good leave times granted. As a retired OB/GYN with women in his residency, he may have been smart, but he ain't too bright in the timing of his research.

On a related note: what areas do the top students in medical school attend (the hardest residencies to get)?
My Dad is my hero still.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:36 am

Have they stopped the riots yet? How many dead?
Let 'er Blow!

gule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: South Florida

Post by gule » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:09 pm

choot em again, George!

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Gule left his Klan meeting early to watch the verdict

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Bet they had a hell of a party later then.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Owlman wrote:Those numbers don't work out unless there are extremely good leave times granted. As a retired OB/GYN with women in his residency, he may have been smart, but he ain't too bright in the timing of his research.

On a related note: what areas do the top students in medical school attend (the hardest residencies to get)?

It changes so much that I don't know now. In 2006 (the year I graduated) the hardest one was Radiation Oncology, some rediculously low number of programs in the entire US. Then that year Dermatology, Radiology and Surgery were all way up there as far as your core fields and there was an article touting Derm and Surgery as being the two most selective that year (most applications per spot available, why derm and surgery were close is beyond me but it was that year. I think surgery has went back down now but the reasoning was that was when the work hour restrictions were supposed to go into complete effect capping at 80 hours per week and that's why the spike in surgery applications).

I don't remember the exact year the incident happened but it seems like it was 2004. I was still in med school and Howard was an intern so I think 04 would have been right but I could be off by one year either direction. OB went through a period of really pushing women OB/GYN's for several years, as you probably well know. The program at my school was almost entirely female faculty, and every single resident except Howard was female at that time. He was an intern and he had to give his Grand Rounds. There was also at that time a national trend of family oriented women joining together and each one basically taking 9 months off. So it was a 4 woman private practice but only one of them was available/working at any one time. The numbers worked out such that it was 4/1 the number of women OB/GYNs to have the same coverage/deliveries/patients as one man during the period he did his research and according to his presentation that was the trend that seemed to be catching on. Again not sure if it is still that way or not nor am I sure exactly how widespread that practice got but he had several peer reviewed studies backing him up. IMO if they could find like minded partners and could afford the income hit then more power to them. Nothing wrong with them having their cake and eating it too as long as they don't expect the income of working full time while actually working part time. They were the ones that did the work to get there if that's how they want to practice it's none of anybodys business. The funny part was he was the only male resident in the program and he had the balls to present that to a knowingly male hostile, flaming liberal faculty. (Most of that faculty found other jobs the next year due in part to that hostility so I never had to deal with it on my OB rotation and it was great when I went through, not so for ones that went through before me). He became an instant legend even though he was one of those that lots people didn't like because he always aced everything lots of people took him as arrogant and cocky because he was such a brain. He was really a nice guy. I think most that didn't like him were just jealous because of his board scores and they couldn't compete with him. However, when he pulled that off he pretty much got props from everybody. His numbers were correct and he had good literature to back him up. It was as Biden said "a big fricken deal" in those parts and the fact that his research/literature was so solid they couldn't mount a counter argument and everybody knew how much it had to have eaten the faculty up for him to do that in that forum made it even better.

Matter of fact it is still talked about in that program today, probably because he is one of that programs star attendings now. That makes the story even better in my book.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
sardis wrote:Well, both were treated the same by the state. Both were prosecuted by the same prosecutor. The difference is a jury's decision so you must be inferring the jury in the Zimmerman case was either racist, stupid, or IBs opinion that women cant think rationally.

Difference could be as owl said...Zimmerman made sure the only other real witness was dead. I'm sure he'll make sure none of these fuckin black hoodie wearing thugs come through his neighborhood in the future.

BTW, Gule or somebody said that Martin was trespassing earlier. That is wrong. He was visiting his dad and his dad's girlfriend who lived in the gated community and in fact had every reason to be there.

Only Zimmerman didn't think blacks belonged around there so he followed him.
Zimmerman followed a suspicious individual, nothing wrong with that at all.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm

You are a suspicious individual as far as I'm concerned...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:03 pm

hedge wrote:You are a suspicious individual as far as I'm concerned...
And I expect if you saw me cutting going through different yards in your neighborhood at night you might want to see what I was up to as well......nothing wrong with that.