Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

sotola
Sophomore

Re: Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Post by sotola » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:49 pm

i can still see your interpretation tho... since HE was by himself..... but we will see. that would seem to be disadvantageous for one team if only one side got to move a player but the other team got locked in. I suspect both teams have to live with the consequences.... but we will see.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 am

Wow, rumour that Detroit would trade CV and Stucky (both expiring contracts) for Rudy Gay. Masai would be the masaih if he pulls that off. Instantly good enough to compete for a high draft pick and a really good bet if we could ditch Lowry for a first rounder. We would still have DeRozan, Val, Ross, and cap flexibility. I am in full tank mode with that rumour.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by hedge » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 am

The answer to this thread title, if it hasn't been answered yet, is: Yes....
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am

this team needs to start over. Colangelo just always tinkered and signed or traded for guys just to show that he was doing something. Our current line up will end up exactly where it was last year without an overhaul. I would rather go backwards to go forwards. and next year's draft is a pretty fine place to start. If not, having cap space to make the right trades is a good option as well. I really only like Val, Johnson, Ross and DeRozan on our roster.... and even Ross could be had for the right price. If Gay leaves, Ross gets more floor time which will allow the team to see whether he will be an all star.... or just another exceptionally talented fool. But that core, and a couple prized rookies in the next couple of drafts.... that's a great place to start.

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Wow, I actually agree with Sotola. Not entirely as offer of just Stuckey and Vilanueva leaves bad taste in my mouth. I have a feeling that might have been leaked as the absolute base of what we will accept for Rudy Gay so that other teams could start bidding if they wished to.

Essentially, this team has one keeper in Valanciunas and need to build accordingly. This team does need a change of culture desperately but you won't get that by being low playoff seed for a couple of years then getting bounced out altogether afterwards.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Knowing Ujiri, he is working on extracting at least a pick out of Detroit as well. the Raps don't need to take both players back in exchange for Gay. They have more than enough cap room to facilitate a trade with just one of the 2 players mentioned.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 pm

everything im reading is the offers on the table & masai wants nothing to do with it

dayum, because i would be all over that trade

he's going to wait patiently & see if he can get a draft pick
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Yep.... but Ujiri knows that Dumars is just like Colangelo.... he will wait to see if Detroit signs anyone good with their cap space...if the Pistons don't sign anyone significant, Dumars will get desperate and that trade will get a pick thrown in

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:42 pm

we apparently have signed Juylan Stone according to the Sporting News..... I had no idea who the guy even was. If that's what Uriji is spending his time on, you can tell he's adopted the tank theory.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 am

"tank" "tanking"

We will be hearing that alot this next NBA season. I thought the Bobcats were on the "tank" band wagon until they signed Al Jefferson. I am torn what would be better for them to do. Tanking and hope to God the new commissioner is not a mobster like his predecessor, or actually signing a decent free agent that makes you better.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Owlman » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 am

not that many decent free agents out there this year imo
My Dad is my hero still.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:13 am

agreed owl.... and we are capped out as long as we have Gay.... and no good free agents will come here until we get a guy capable of taking us over the top and make us a winning team ... and that won't happen anywhere but the draft for this franchise. at least imo. the only time this franchise was good was when we had VC and TMac.... two guys we drafted.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 am

sardis wrote:"tank" "tanking"

We will be hearing that alot this next NBA season. I thought the Bobcats were on the "tank" band wagon until they signed Al Jefferson. I am torn what would be better for them to do. Tanking and hope to God the new commissioner is not a mobster like his predecessor, or actually signing a decent free agent that makes you better.
Getting Al Jefferson is a brilliant move for choke purposes. He will only make you better when you have a lot of quality around your team. So, you can tank, land Wiggins and have a post presence there when he joins the team. What I don't get is the Zeller pick???? That exudes tanking to a level of mastery that is either beyond human or shows that tanking even bleeds into the front office.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

I am convenced they drafted Zeller as a cheaper replacement to Byron Mullens. I think they resigned themselves to the fact that whoever they picked in this draft will be a role player so why not replace a potentially expensive veteran role player.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 am

Bklyn wrote:
sardis wrote:"tank" "tanking"

Getting Al Jefferson is a brilliant move for choke purposes. He will only make you better when you have a lot of quality around your team. So, you can tank, land Wiggins and have a post presence there when he joins the team. What I don't get is the Zeller pick???? That exudes tanking to a level of mastery that is either beyond human or shows that tanking even bleeds into the front office.
I am worried that there are so many teams in the East trying to tank now with Boston in the mix that it won't be hard to make the playoffs.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:34 pm

there are a lot of bad teams but it will come down to injuries. the Cavs will be better because Varajeo and Irving aren't likely to miss almost the entire season and Bennett should help. If Detroit can add any talent through free agency, they should be better. If the Wizards can get more than 50 games out of Nene, Wall, and Beal - they should be better as well.

I only think 4 teams are good bets in the East to finish real bad... Boston, Philly, Charlotte, and Orlando. The Raps could join them with trades for Gay/Lowry. If the Pistons want to hand over an unprotected first rounder, I would send them Lowry as well... we could sign and trade for Bynum. we would instantly join those other teams

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:37 pm

I question Irving's durability, fwiw.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 pm

the rumour in Cleveland was that Irving was healthy enough to play but management kept him on IR in order to keep the tank rolling
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:13 am

i dunno... Kyrie missed a large chunk of his last year at Duke and large parts of his first 2 seasons so I understand Brooks post. But, at the same time.... a guy destined to be a top lottery pick regardless of whether he plays probably sits out.... a guy that can't make his team a playoff team probably sits out. next year will probably determine whether brook is right.... or situations were right. i just think cleveland is better than the Raps without Gay

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:30 am

Utah loses Al Jefferson, then they take on Biedrins & Jefferson as expiring contracts so the G-State can sign Iguodala

that puts Utah in the mix of teams that want no part of winning 30+ games next year