Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Music

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 am

I like John Mayer. He knows his shit. He destroyed the funk classic by the Meters ("Sissy Strut") and didn't bat an eye. He also knows how to make money in this shitty music industry right now...which is not something a lot of talented artists can say. So, to Auggies point, I can't hate on him...from the neighbor complaints about his loud sex sessions with Katie Perry to his sappy "Covered in Rain" anthems that the ladies love.

Applause, Mr. Mayer. You have earned my applause.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by AugustWest » Mon May 20, 2013 11:07 am

Mayer also gets props for being on Chappelle Show. That was one of the funniest skits I've ever seen.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Mon May 20, 2013 7:02 pm

RIP Ray Manzarek. Jim got all the girls but you were the soul of the band.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 pm

Damn, that sucks. Been one of my favorite keyboardist for a long time.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Ever since Keith died?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am

"Damn, that sucks. Been one of my favorite keyboardist for a long time."

Even if he hadn't been one of your favorite keyboardist it would still suck for him...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue May 21, 2013 10:05 am

The guy was an amazing keyboardist. Its extremely difficult to work a baseline and do solos at the same time. Since they didn't have a bass player he had to pull double duty.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 am

Yeah, just ask Beethoven. And he was deaf!

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Saint wrote:Ever since Keith died?
One certainly did not preclude the other.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 pm

[youtube]rV6SmY04WdE[/youtube]

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 am

Jungle Rat wrote:[youtube]rV6SmY04WdE[/youtube]
amazing.

I was hoping she'd break into some power chords with You Really Got Me immediately afterwards
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 am

Me too.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 am

eCat wrote:
amazing.

I was hoping she'd break into some power chords with You Really Got Me immediately afterwards

She kicks eCat's ass. She has no swagger with it...but she's young. She's on the right track technically.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Sunshine Daydream in glorious HD. NSFW.

[youtube]IXLP7SDksao[/youtube]

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:50 pm

holy crap. nice job.
Bklyn wrote:
eCat wrote:
amazing.

She kicks eCat's ass. She has no swagger with it...but she's young. She's on the right track technically.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:54 pm

I Know right? My daughters can't even figure out a D cord.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:I Know right? My daughters can't even figure out a D cord.
Hedges step-daughters have at least figured out a d-cup. ba-zing...

I'll show myself out.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 am

Speaking of the girls, the young un has been talking about getting a tattoo since she was 16, the MIF and the older sis have been completely against it. I'm kinda ambivalent, but I suggested waiting until she was older and got something that was really meaningful, but of course any suggestion of "wait until you're older" probably only makes them want to do it more. I also used Stu as an example, he designed his own tat and got it on his shoulder - irregardless of what anybody thinks about it, at least he designed it himself (personally I think it's pretty cool, but even if I didn't like it aesthetically I would still appreciate the fact that it was his own design and had personal meaning, and at any rate, he was well into his 30's when he got it, so it wasn't just some adolescent impulse).

So anyway, when the young un turned 18, it was obvious she was going to get a tat. She floated several lame ideas (a dream catcher, some script from a poem), but then she ended up getting a small hummingbird on her side. The MIF didn't really object (it was too late, anyway, she just went out and did it and then showed it after it was done), b/c she (the MIF) has always said that whenever she sees a hummingbird she feels like it is the spirit of her dead husband (the girls' father), so at least it did have personal meaning and it was small and not visible in most circumstances.

Well, you know what's coming next. The young un starts talking about getting another one, the MIF is now adamant that one is enough, she was cool with the hummingbird but that's it for now, and outright forbade her to get another one until at least she was off at college. But the young keeps floating ideas of lame ass tats that have caught her eye on some internet site called Pintrest, with no more personal meaning than some random candy to a kid in a candy store. We kept reminding her about the dream catcher and all the other ones she claimed she loved but then within a few weeks changed her mind and didn't like them anymore. But she still kept talking about a butterfly, a moth, anything that caught her eye and then the latest one was a line of moons in different phases (see here for an example: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc420 ... o1_500.jpg). I figured it was just another brief phase and she would move on to something else in a few weeks, but she came home yesterday with basically the same thing in the picture except twice as big going all the way down her back. I've definitely seen worse, but it's pretty bad. It doesn't go as high up towards the neck as the one in the picture, but it goes way lower, not all the way down to her waist, but definitely down the lower back, and again, the moons are probably twice as big as the ones in the picture.

Well, my personal opinion is it's her body, she can do what she wants, blahblahblah, but the MIF and the older sister unloaded like I've never seen. My parents didn't even go this crazy when I went to prison. I definitely think it's a mistake and probably would've said so, but I felt so bad for her after the reaming she was getting from her mom and sister I just didn't say anything. For those of you with kids, I ask: What are you supposed to do in this situation? Ultimately it doesn't really affect me and I don't really care, but I'm a little worried about the blatant defiance and the fact that she couldn't wait just two months when she would be off at college. She clearly knew that it would upset her mom but she did it anyway. I really don't think she has any psychological issues like craving attention, negative or otherwise, and I don't think that wanting to get tats - ugly, meaningless, or otherwise - is any kind of sign of any kind of problem, but it doesn't make me very confident of her decision-making process, esp. now that she's fixin to be off at college several hours away. How should I handle this? Not that there's anything for me to really "handle", it's done now, not much anybody can really say or do now, so my impulse is just to shake my head and let it go, but it does seem like kind of a big deal. But maybe I'm just feeling that now only b/c of the MIF's and the older sis's reaction. Thoughts?

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:23 am

This is closer to the size she got, but this one is way better in terms of artistic quality:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt6e4 ... 1_1280.jpg

I won't say the one she got is prison tat bad, but it's not good. I told her I would take her to NYC or San Fran to a real artist if she really wanted one, but that she would have to wait until she really found something she liked and had real meaning, but of course she didn't listen and just went to this lame ass place in Raleigh and now she stuck with it forever...

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 am

Art is hard, and easy to fuck up. I think a lot of people also dont realize that abut plastic surgery, which is also art.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.