Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 am

I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:49 am

thats pretty good

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:55 am

WHERE'S MY K-1!!!!!!!

Dr. Nostron
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State

Post by Dr. Nostron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:56 am

IN THE EXTENSION FILE!!!!!!!!!

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am

listening to NPR this morning. They had the guy that ended up with Romney 47% tape as well as Mitch McConnell cracking on Ashley Judd

I thought it was interesting to note that the Supreme Court has ruled if a reporter has no involvement in the illegal act of wiretapping or document theft, etc and the information owned as a result of that illegal act is turned over to them, they can publish it freely without any liability or criminal accountable of the act itself. Its only if the information published results in the safety/security of the United States or its interest is there possible cause to go after the publisher.

Which makes me wonder about Wikileaks and just how far they are protected.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am

eCat wrote:listening to NPR this morning. They had the guy that ended up with Romney 47% tape as well as Mitch McConnell cracking on Ashley Judd

I thought it was interesting to note that the Supreme Court has ruled if a reporter has no involvement in the illegal act of wiretapping or document theft, etc and the information owned as a result of that illegal act is turned over to them, they can publish it freely without any liability or criminal accountable of the act itself. Its only if the information published results in the safety/security of the United States or its interest is there possible cause to go after the publisher.

Which makes me wonder about Wikileaks and just how far they are protected.
Wikileaks is protected, but the person who gave the information is not. Nor if the court deems it important enough in a criminal case can the Reporter refuse to say who his/her source is for the story. This happened in the Barry Bonds grand jury case and now with a female Fox News reporter who released information that only an insider police investigator would know about the Aurora Movie shooter. If the reporter refuses in court to release the name of the source, they face contempt of court and jail time.
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I thought Julian Assange was up for extradition to the United States?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Also reading about the prison at Gitmo.

Amazing to me that we have people there in captivity for over a decade without a trial or even charges being formalized against them - and Osama is dead.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

eCat wrote:I thought Julian Assange was up for extradition to the United States?
Not for what he printed in Wikileaks.
My Dad is my hero still.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 am

eCat wrote:Also reading about the prison at Gitmo.

Amazing to me that we have people there in captivity for over a decade without a trial or even charges being formalized against them - and Osama is dead.
and if al quaedis are responsible for the Boston bombing, the Gitmo crowd will have 'em some cumpny

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 am

Well, Obama tried to put them in Leavenworth but couldn't get Congress to agree...so, we are where we are with Gitmo and Cheney keeps saying "see, Obama knows we were right to place these guys here."
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 am

Bklyn wrote:Well, Obama tried to put them in Leavenworth but couldn't get Congress to agree...so, we are where we are with Gitmo and Cheney keeps saying "see, Obama knows we were right to place these guys here."

Obama's Executive Order ensured that the detainees, whether they stayed at Gitmo or moved to another facility, would still be 'law of war detainees' - that's what pissed off the ACLU, even if there would be 'periodic reviews' and even if they had moved to Leavenworth. And, for what it's worth, Democrats and Republicans in Congress voted against its closure.

I think it's fair to say that he flipped, or at least acquiesced without a real fight.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 am

Not a big shock but bi partisan panel concludes indisputable proof America tortures - and it been outsourced going back to Clinton....................................

It is “indisputable” that the United States engaged in torture after the September 11, 2001 terror attacks and top officials are ultimately to blame, says an independent review released Tuesday.

The lengthy, bipartisan report led by two former lawmakers found intelligence officers and military forces practiced torture, as well as “cruel, inhuman and degrading” treatment of detainees in Afghanistan, Iraq, the US-run prison at Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere, in violation of US and international law.

The co-chair of the panel, Asa Hutchinson, a former Republican lawmaker who worked in ex-president George W Bush’s administration, said that “we have come to the regrettable, but unavoidable, conclusion that the United States did indeed engage in conduct that is clearly torture.”

The 577-page report, sponsored by The Constitution Project, a legal advocacy group, marked the most comprehensive attempt outside of government to assess America’s interrogation record over the past decade, featuring dozens of interviews with former CIA officers and other key actors. An exhaustive inquiry by the Senate has yet to be publicly released.

The interrogation tactics used after 9/11 failed to produce valuable information and had been condemned as torture and abuse by the US government in the past when the techniques were used by other countries, the report said.

The tolerance of torture violated the country’s values and was “greatly diminishing America’s ability to forge important alliances around the world,” said James Jones, the other co-chair of the panel who is a former Democrat in Congress and ambassador to Mexico under ex-president Bill Clinton.

The torture employed by interrogators was never explicitly authorized but was the result of “decisions made by the nation’s highest civilian and military leaders,” including deciding that the Geneva Conventions did not apply to al Qaeda and the Taliban militants and that the CIA could use brutal techniques against “high-value” detainees, it said.

Bush administration officials allowed the Central Intelligence Agency to employ harsh tactics on detainees at secret prisons, or “black sites”, in Thailand, Poland, Romania and Lithuania, a policy that has created legal headaches for those countries, the study said.

And Donald Rumsfeld, then defense secretary, approved interrogation methods at the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, that “included deprivation, stress positions, nudity, sensory deprivation and threatening detainees with dogs.” The techniques were later employed in Iraq.

The report focused mainly on the Bush presidency but also said the practice of secretly transferring detainees overseas was used during Clinton’s administration. The panel accused President Barack Obama of imposing excessive secrecy over his administration’s treatment of detainees, as well as drone bombing raids in Pakistan and Yemen.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 am

Looks like a disgruntled ex-Justice of the Peace and his wife may be responsible for the murders of the DA and his wife, and the prosecutor in Texas:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/he ... charge.ece
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:55 am

Sung Min Jeong, 44, claims that in Chongjin – a city at the tip of the North Korean coast – a shopkeeper serves up human meat.

"One of his strongest thoughts is … if he didn't take steps to leave North Korea, he would've become a North Korean who ate human flesh," an interpreter for Mr Jeong told news.com.au.

The thought that he would have to one day eat a fellow human being is what drove Mr Jeong to leave his homeland behind and to escape to Sydney in March 2011.

He would've become a North Korean who ate human flesh

It is not the first time reports of cannibalism have emerged from the secretive state.

Fears that famine-stricken North Koreans are being forced to eat human flesh heightened earlier this year following claims a man was executed for murdering his two children for food.

"While his wife was away on business he killed his eldest daughter and, because his son saw what he had done, he killed his son as well. When the wife came home, he offered her food, saying: 'We have meat,'" a source told The Independent.

"But his wife, suspicious, notified the Ministry of Public Security, which led to the discovery of part of their children's bodies under the eaves."

Renewed reports of cannibalism came after a human rights group accused North Korea of operating a system of secret gulag-style prison camps, according to reports.

Fears of cannibalism in the country surfaced in 2003 too, amid testimony from refugees who claimed poor harvests and food aid sanctions had resulted in children being killed and corpses cut up for food.

According to reports, requests by the United Nations World Food Programme to access "farmers' markets" where human meat was said to be traded, were turned down by Pyongyang, citing "security reasons".

Those caught selling human meat face execution, but one source told the North Korean Refugees Assistance Fund: "Pieces of 'special' meat are displayed on straw mats for sale. People know where they come from, but they don't talk about it."

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 am

"I don't pretend to say that steamboat floated all the time. More than once she had to wade for a bit, with twenty cannibals splashing around and pushing. We had enlisted some of these chaps on the way for a crew. Fine fellows -- cannibals -- in their place. They were men one could work with, and I am grateful to them. And, after all, they did not eat each other before my face: they had brought along a provision of hippo-meat which went rotten, and made the mystery of the wilderness stink in my nostrils. Phoo! I can sniff it now."
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 am

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 pm

they are dropping out but only until their children reach a certain age. My wife and I decided she wouldn't work until the kids were old enough to be at home alone and now she's gone back into the work force, albeit at 30% less than what she was making before she left. Fortunately for us it wasn't economics.

What I'm interested in is how many single mothers are out there working because if they were married, they'd probably be stay at home moms too.

Owlman
Senior

Post by Owlman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 pm

what age were they old enough for you to be home alone? Just wondering.
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Owlman wrote:what age were they old enough for you to be home alone? Just wondering.

My son was 12 and my daughter was 10, however we wouldn't have made the decision to leave my daughter at home at the age of 10 by herself -my son got home about an hour before my wife and my wife got home about 10 minutes before my daughter got off the bus. My wife also works for a public school so she has summers off with the kids which is why we live with the pay cut over her previous job in IT.

For us it wasn't about economics - and not to judge anyone who does use daycare - I just didn't want my kids formative years being influenced by someone at a daycare , with them seeing our kids 8 hours a day and us getting maybe 2.

We were very Ozzy and Harriett there for several years, with dinner and a clean house waiting for me when I got home. I don't think either of us have regretted that decision (but we may when we end up with maybe $300K less in our 401K than we would have if she worked). We made the decision to have a mortgage based on a single income, with money to be able to take vacations, etc. We never considered going the McMansion /Lexus SUV route.