Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Re: Florida State Seminoles

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am

$5 for a melted quarter? Gotta stop giving those to my deductions when were at Steak & Shake.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:10 am

Why I try to open-hand smack in the mouth, as often as humanly permissable, anyone who throws around "we're turning into Greece" talk...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ce/273748/
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 am

There are alot of things Paul Krugman says that I agree with.

He has a pretty good grasp of education needs this country has but also realizes that if this country can't give the average American a decent job at a decent wage, we're always going to be in a cycle of welfare and government dependency.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 am

I think I just converted to being a Paultard...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 am

welcome to the club!
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:07 pm

[youtube]vhnLk3TJWFY[/youtube]

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:46 pm

I understand the spirit of Paul's filibuster...and I almost applaud the move. Almost. However, I think McCain and Graham make a lot of good points...

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... ster-claim
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Bklyn wrote:I understand the spirit of Paul's filibuster...and I almost applaud the move. Almost. However, I think McCain and Graham make a lot of good points...

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... ster-claim

whatever points they make, it comes after an evening meeting with the president at a high end DC restaurant while Paul, Rubio and Cruz were on the Senate floor demanding answers for the safety of Americans

huge tactical mistake for McCain and Graham.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Tactical!
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:16 pm

McCain and Graham have been in Washington so long they don't realize how old and stale they sound. They don't realize people see them as the problem, both left and right. The senators want the status quo because status quo keeps them in power.

And as far as the issue of drones, people are quite nervous about these things flying around in our airspace, especially when they see how they are used for overseas. At the tamest, they are used for spying. At the worst they are used for killing. To say, that asking for a definitive policy on not using them against noncombatant American citizens, is an absurd question is underestimating the lack of trust Americans have on their government, both left and right.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 pm

I hate Lindsay Graham's gay ass. I've known guys like him my whole life, southern pretty boy pussies who are scared to party and then want to take it out on everybody else. Fuck him...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:32 pm

"Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on Thursday went after Sen. Rand Paul's talking filibuster of CIA director nominee John Brennan"

Paul's talking filibuster?? What other kind of filibuster is there? Load up on enchilada soup and conduct a farting filibuster? Talk about clearing the chamber...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm

the thing about Graham is you don't know what side of the fence he falls on - and its not based on principle.

him, McConnell and McCain are all just dinosaurs - and this incident is going to let them know it. I'd bet dollars to donuts after polling comes back on Paul's filibuster they are going to change their tune.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Saw this article linked on the page of the "America is not Greece" article. Too bad he didn't have a more eCat-like photo to go with it...

What Liberals Need to Understand About 'Gun Guys'

The author of a new book tries to reconcile his personal politics with his fondness for firearms.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ys/273736/

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Do you think we should allow citizens to be armed in places like schools and movie theaters?

After the Aurora movie theater happened, the New York Times and others sneered at the idea that an armed citizen would have made a difference. They said, "Then there would have been two people shooting in the theater, which would've been worse." I'm thinking, "What could possibly be worse?"

You go in a shopping mall, there's a guy with a gun. Obviously, what we're hoping is that there will be a gunfight, that there will be two people shooting, in the event that something bad happens. But we can't put armed guards and policemen everywhere. So to me, armed citizens make sense. But it really looks like my fellow liberals have an aversion to the thought of the individual citizen being of service with a gun in a situation like that.

----------------------------------------

Here is the problem with that response - in a 1 in 7 million scenario, yea, you being armed might have saved the lives of people in that theater, but do you really want to take your kids to a theater where there are 15 guys who took a weekend CCW class and have a .40 cal glock on them just waiting for the opportunity to be a hero? Or a bar? yea, lets get these guys drinking.

There is something inherently wrong with "Hey kids, lets go the movies tonight, just let me get my gun first".

If you aren't a felon or interact daily with felons living in the 68 most populated counties in America, then its statistically zero that you would need a gun to go about your daily routine of work, school, grocery shopping , library, movies, or even going to your local dive bar on biker night. If you're the kind of person that thinks they need a gun in that situation, then you should carry a parachute when you fly, a defibrillator after 40 and stop eating red meat to avoid mad cow.

honestly, I have to say its an ego driven thing - I have a piece of paper that tells me I can carry a gun like Barney Fife. Hell I bet they even get a little flip out wallet like a police detective to show whoever they have it.

If it gets to the point where I think I need a gun to go the grocery store, then no one in a position of power is going to care whether I have a CCW permit or not. Its going to be Detroit in Robocop time.

of course, if any of you guys have your CCW permit, well...you know..I'm not talking about you

just as liberals who are averse to gun ownership motivate me to protect my second amendment rights, its these gun owners that insist that they bring a gun to any and every public function that keep people unnerved. I'm 100X more scared of getting shot as an innocent bystander than I am being the victim of a nutjob on a shooting rampage. All you have to do is spend a day at a gun range to realize how irresponsible some gun owners can be.

also, getting a CCW permit means you're second on the list right after people that fill out 4473's to buy an assault rifle when guns are confiscated.

sardis
All-American

Post by sardis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Don't look down your nose at us.

If you don't like the way we discard our empty shells then fuck you...

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 pm

as long as I don't look down the business end of a gun barrel while trying to buy some fruit loops

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Even about just having a gun at the house, I picture myself going blade runner and accidentally shooting someone I knew who was just being an asshole idiot at my house or around my house in the middle of the night before I can see me actually needing it to defend myself. Not that the blade runner is telling the truth, but I can see a similar situation.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:21 pm

hedge wrote:Saw this article linked on the page of the "America is not Greece" article. Too bad he didn't have a more eCat-like photo to go with it...

What Liberals Need to Understand About 'Gun Guys'

The author of a new book tries to reconcile his personal politics with his fondness for firearms.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ys/273736/
Well done piece.