Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by It's me Karen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 am

bluetick
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by bluetick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 am

Big Orange Junky wrote:Honestly I saw the Christie story all over the front page yesterday, but nothing on Weiner. I didn't know any of that was going on until I went to get a haircut between cases and heard it being covered on a radio station. I then searched for it and saw it.

However, on CNN, Yahoo, and the other mainstream areas of the hospital (pages we log on to for computer access etc) the main story was the chopper ride to the ballgame. Which was 100% legal and 100% within precedent for that state but IMO was stupid. Still I find it ironic that a story about a republican doing something completely legal and the same as his previous counterparts overshadowed such a scandalous story like Weinergate.

Now this was yesterday morning. I was in the hospital and was only seeing the newspapers, CNN, and the home pages that are Yahoo, Google, MSN etc but the chopper was huge, front page stuff and I had to actively search to find anything about the scandal.
Bullshit - a huge lie. Christie didn't announce paying the money back until he held a live press conference at 4:30 yesterday - until that time it was not a story in any of those places you mentioned. It didn't become a story at CNN until that time - and there were already seven individual Weiner stories running on CNN's website at that time. Nice try.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 am

Here's a self-revealing quote from the new head honcho at the NYT, Jill Abramson.

"In my house growing up, The Times substituted for religion," she said. "If The Times said it, it was the absolute truth."
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Hacksaw
Senior
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 am

You can't make this shit up, folks. Prominent dem (former Congresswoman) Cynthia McKinney goes to Libya, where she appears on television to praise Gaddafi-style government and trash the United States...

[youtube]RDwcJ3Uof3E[/youtube]
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 am

This is who voters replaced McKinney with.

[youtube]xM1QtyZvn04[/youtube]

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

Meanwhile, the economy continues to slide into the shitter...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/03/news/ec ... ?hpt=hp_c1
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:08 am

Hacksaw wrote:You can't make this shit up, folks. Prominent dem (former Congresswoman) Cynthia McKinney goes to Libya, where she appears on television to praise Gaddafi-style government and trash the United States...

[youtube]RDwcJ3Uof3E[/youtube]
Actually you can make some of that shit up. McKinney is a member of the Green Party, having left the dem party in 2007. I suppose you could make the case that's she a prominent Greenie, since she ran as their prez candidate back in 2008.

Whatever, right?

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am

That's true, but it's sort of splitting hairs. She was a dem her whole life and served in the U.S. Congress as a dem. She only jumped to the Green Party after losing her congressional seat to the other dipshit. She hasn't really been in the public eye as a Greenie and she's still the same idiot she was when she was a dem.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 am

Greenies, environmentalist, communists, dems.....fit comfortably in whatever suit they need to address their constituents/hang on to power.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:45 am

Sustainabilty!!

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:48 am

That wasn't Cynthia McKinney. Someone hacked into her twitter account and made it look like she was praising Kaddafi on Libyan tv. Though she can't say for sure whether that she was actually in that video or not.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:02 am

is....was....all debatable terms that can be interpreted broadly.

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:18 am

THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:56 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... _blog.html

Nearly four in ten Republicans and those who lean toward Republicans said they were unhappy with their current choices in the presidential field, according to a new Washington Post/Pew Research Center poll, data that will fuel speculation about possible late entrants into the race.

More potentiallly problematic for Republicans hoping to unseat President Obama was the fact that 48 percent of Independants described the GOP field negatively while just 10 percent offered a positive one-word description

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 pm

stfu
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 pm

..unhappy with their current choices...

Yep, more unemployment, higher gas prices, weaker dollar are better choices.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Cynthia McKinney is a dope, but much of what she said about the government of the US not representing the people is true. Our political system is by nature unrepresentative because it apportions representation by districts with only one representative each. This forces people to vote for centralist candidates, stunts the growth of new parties, limits the public's exposure to "radical" ideas, and supports the general inertia of our society. In short, the founders created a system that limits political opportunities for outsiders and generally supports keeping things as they are.

The founders were political and economic elites who wished to create a very limited from of representative government - one which represented them. They created a system where blacks and women were slaves, poor men were essentially serfs with individual liberty but no political rights, and the wealthy controlled the government, made the laws and set public policy.

Red Bird
Junior

Post by Red Bird » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Note to whoever is running this place: The dark background on alternate posts makes it difficult to read those posts. Please change the background settings.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Red Bird wrote:Note to whoever is running this place: The dark background on alternate posts makes it difficult to read those posts. Please change the background settings.

Put on your reading glasses you crusty bitch.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:37 pm

bluetick wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... _blog.html

Nearly four in ten Republicans and those who lean toward Republicans said they were unhappy with their current choices in the presidential field, according to a new Washington Post/Pew Research Center poll, data that will fuel speculation about possible late entrants into the race.

More potentiallly problematic for Republicans hoping to unseat President Obama was the fact that 48 percent of Independants described the GOP field negatively while just 10 percent offered a positive one-word description
Not surprising. For one thing, the candidates aren't that great to begin with. But Obama is even worse and he got in. When you have the 9:1 media out there portraying a candidate like Palin, for instance, as not qualified for VP, while simultaneously fluffing a much less-qualified candidate like Obama for POTUS, it certainly doesn't help.