Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 pm

“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:21 pm

the whole helicoptor/govenor taxpayer ride thing

seems that If I elect you govenor of my state and you work your ass off for me I think letting you take the helicoptor to get to your kids events should be part of the deal

next thing you know we'll be bitching about taking airforce 1 for vacation purposes

puterbac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Beautiful...fucking cheaters. Although the reporter says 3.63 seconds its actually .363 if you do the math...over 40 tix for a biz and owner was ready to fire people until he decided to check it out...

Forest Heights Man Uses Math To Defeat Speed Tickets

A Forest Heights businessman says he can prove tickets issued by speed cameras there are inaccurate.

http://www.wusa9.com/video/default.aspx ... 95001r=pa'

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Dora wrote:
bluetick wrote:Heh. You'e not against insurance...yet you want insurance out of the healthcare biz.
I'm for healthcare reform... for affordable healthcare & for universal healthcare. As your article states: 'Although America leads the world in spending on health care, it is the only wealthly, industrialized nation that does not ensure that all citizens have coverage.' If we have to get insurance companies out of the healthcare business in order to achieve parity with other industrialized nations, that's fine with me.
Haunting....

http://www.eppc.org/publications/pubID. ... detail.asp
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Hack is turning into a quack.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm

bluetick wrote:Currently at CNN.com

Weiner: This is not a federal case - The Situation Room

Trump: Weiner 'lying or incompetent' - by Gabriella Scwarz, CNN

Political panel: Is it a big deal? - Anderson Cooper 360

Weinergate unravels: Is the picture him? - TIME

Weiner says he didn't post photo - The CNN Wire Staff

Weiner explains - kinda - The Newsroom

Is Weiner protecting someone? - The Situation Room

Hacksaw wrote:It is THE story of the day, I tell ya'.
SEVEN stories and counting, actually. Nothing else comes close. You lose...Weiner is the biggest thing at CNN. You drew the attention to it...quit whining about it.
So, what you're saying is, if you already know about the story and do a search for it on CNN, you can find several mentions of it. Great work. You're a regular Norman Einstein, aren't you?
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Hack is turning into a quack.
Am not. Quitsies, no anti-quitsies, no startsies! Double-stamp, triple-stamp, touch blue make it true!
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:18 pm

The biggest story here in Cincy today is a 17month old drowning in a river, followed by our area losing another soldier followed by the weather. I haven't heard squat about this Weiner dude nor do I care.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:The biggest story here in Cincy today is a 17month old drowning in a river, followed by our area losing another soldier followed by the weather. I haven't heard squat about this Weiner dude nor do I care.
Thanks for the support. But rest assured, if he were a Republican you would have heard about it.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Doubt it

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Honestly I saw the Christie story all over the front page yesterday, but nothing on Weiner. I didn't know any of that was going on until I went to get a haircut between cases and heard it being covered on a radio station. I then searched for it and saw it.

However, on CNN, Yahoo, and the other mainstream areas of the hospital (pages we log on to for computer access etc) the main story was the chopper ride to the ballgame. Which was 100% legal and 100% within precedent for that state but IMO was stupid. Still I find it ironic that a story about a republican doing something completely legal and the same as his previous counterparts overshadowed such a scandalous story like Weinergate.

Now this was yesterday morning. I was in the hospital and was only seeing the newspapers, CNN, and the home pages that are Yahoo, Google, MSN etc but the chopper was huge, front page stuff and I had to actively search to find anything about the scandal.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
Jungle Rat wrote:The biggest story here in Cincy today is a 17month old drowning in a river, followed by our area losing another soldier followed by the weather. I haven't heard squat about this Weiner dude nor do I care.
Thanks for the support. But rest assured, if he were a Republican you would have heard about it.
That's exactly right because he's a fucking sleeze-bag BUT the media circles the wagons in protection of him based on his political party.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... rentPage=5
Vanity Fair wrote:The women are heckled as they enter. “Tell us your name and where you are from,” says one of the men. As if on a game show the women comply, one by one. When Caroline says she is an intern, the largest of the group, a white-haired man with a big belly and big laugh, roars, “We’re afraid of interns.” He throws his knife at a lean man named Mike, at the other end of the table. Mike is unamused. He threatens to throw it back. Another guy, rotund and jolly-faced, stands up and does an impression of Marlon Brando doing Don Corleone. The others think it’s hysterical.

Diana whispers that there is no way they can be congressmen. She figures they are businessmen. She wonders how she is going to get out.

They are congressmen—although at first they pretend not to be. One, the youngest, with a tiny goatee, introduces himself as Anthony, an auto-parts salesman. The others call him “the Jewish kid” and make fun of his beard. Their real names and states are as follows: the auto-parts salesman is Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.); the lean Mike is Michael Capuano (D-Mass.); the jolly guy who imitated Brando is John Larson (D-Conn.); the man who was worried about interns is Robert Brady (D-Pa.).

Sitting silently at the head of the table is John Baldacci (D-Maine), now running for governor; also there are Bart Stupak (D-Mich.), Tim Holden (D-Pa.), Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-N.J.), and Mike Doyle (D-Pa.). The hosts are Paul Magliocchetti, a former member of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, now a lobbyist, and his colleague Daniel Cunningham. “Normally,” says Magliocchetti, “there are four Republicans in this group. They just couldn’t make it tonight.”
Okay I call bullshit on there being Republicans in THIS group. But this is Vanity Fair and this magazine sucks off the Democratic Party, so of course, that had to add that. They just couldn't add the names of GOP Congressmen in the sleaze-fest because they would have been sued for slander.
Vanity Fair wrote:The evening glides along in a gently tipsy manner. “You are very beautiful girls,” one man keeps repeating. Their jokes are old and hoary. “I just want you all to know, today we’ve been through a very classified briefing,” one says. “We watched CNN.”

She has left Anthony Weiner dangling, after he E-mailed her that she should come and visit his office “in person.” “I thought that was kind of cheesy,” sniffs Diana.
I doubt any of this will be mentioned by Bill Maher on his show.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey has anyone heard about Weiner's weiner yet? The MSM has successfully covered it up. At least Breitbart and Drudge aren't afraid to cover this story!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Heh. He said weiner. I thank the good lord every day I awake that I live a sports talk life and not a crazy political whacko life

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Officials who have seen the Wienergate photo say he has three balls.

Now you care.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Bloomberg

Carter: Economic Stagnation Explained, at 30,000 Feet

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/201 ... -feet.html

By Stephen L. Carter - May 26, 2011

The man in the aisle seat is trying to tell me why he refuses to hire anybody. His business is successful, he says, as the 737 cruises smoothly eastward. Demand for his product is up. But he still won’t hire.

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t know how much it will cost,” he explains. “How can I hire new workers today, when I don’t know how much they will cost me tomorrow?”

He’s referring not to wages, but to regulation: He has no way of telling what new rules will go into effect when. His business, although it covers several states, operates on low margins. He can’t afford to take the chance of losing what little profit there is to the next round of regulatory changes. And so he’s hiring nobody until he has some certainty about cost.

It’s a little odd to be having this conversation as the news media keep insisting that private employment is picking up. But as economists have pointed out to all who will listen, the only real change is that the rate of layoffs has slowed. Fewer than one of six small businesses added jobs last year, and not many more expect to do so this year. The private sector is creating no more new jobs than it was a year ago; the man in the aisle seat is trying to tell me why.

He is trim and white-haired and bursting with energy. He’s proud of the business he has built: not large by the way things are measured these days, but certainly successful. He shows me sales figures, award citations, stories from trade magazines. I congratulate him, then turn to the window and enjoy the view for a bit. We are flying over the Midwest, away from the setting sun and toward the darkness. America stretches beneath us in every direction, flat and broad and beautiful. My seat-mate has just discovered that I am a law professor: That is the reason for his discourse.

Party Doesn’t Matter

“I don’t understand why Washington does this to us," he resumes. By "us," he means people who run businesses of less- than-Fortune-500 size. He tells me that it doesn’t much matter which party is in office. Every change of power means a whole new set of rules to which he and those like him must respond. ‘‘I don’t understand,” he continues, “why Washington won’t just get out of our way and let us hire.”

There are a lot of responses I could offer at this point. But I am interested now; I prefer to let him talk.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/201 ... -feet.html

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Do We Deserve Our Fate?

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

By Walter E. Williams

The latest Social Security Trustees Report tells us that the program will be insolvent by the year 2037.
The combined unfunded liability of Social Security and Medicare has reached nearly $107 trillion in today's dollars. That is about seven times the size of the U.S. economy and 10 times the size of the national debt. Those entitlement programs, along with others, account for nearly 60 percent of federal spending. They are what Congress calls non-discretionary spending.
About half of discretionary spending is for national defense. Each year, non-discretionary spending consumes a higher and higher percentage of the federal budget.

The language Congress uses to describe their spending is corrupt beyond redemption. Think about the term entitlement. If one American is entitled to something he didn't earn, where in the world does Congress get the money? It's not Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

The only way Congress can give one American a dollar is to first take it from another American. Therefore, an entitlement is a congressionally given right for one American to live at the expense of another.

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/artic ... e-our-fate

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:30 pm

More climate model fail: soil carbon not handled well

Posted on June 2, 2011 by Anthony Watts

From Oregon State University: Climate projections don’t accurately reflect soil carbon release

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/ ... on-release

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 pm

“Worms from hell” found – in a place nobody thought they could live

Posted on June 2, 2011 by Anthony Watts

This might have some impact on the search for extraterrestrial life. If these things can live in this sort of hostile environment, perhaps we’ll find similar life forms below the surface of other planets, such as Mars, which may have had surface life at one time.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/02/w ... more-40951

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by It's me Karen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Hey has anyone heard about Weiner's weiner yet? The MSM has successfully covered it up. At least Breitbart and Drudge aren't afraid to cover this story!
The Toledo Blade had a blurb about it in yesterday's paper. Today there is a big article. Personally, I don't care about the dick...er...weiner...er Weiner.