Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by crotch » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:17 am

eCat wrote:that ego landed us a national championship last year and has changed the landscape of college recruiting
True that, but his 'ego' still bothers me.... Need to keep some of these kids around for next season.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 am

Why do I get the feeling that now that Loserville is #1 Metzger is gonna pull an Onion pop up post? Lock your doors tonight.

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 am

So what? It's like Onion with his "conference of champions" bullshit. Who gives a crap?
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 am

I've known that kid in the wheelchair for several years. He's written several freelance stories for us on the Carolina Mudcats (their stadium is built on land his family once owned). Talked to him today and wrote a story for tomorrow's paper. He was born with limb deformities (for reasons never made clear to me) but is a pretty sharp guy and one who gets in a lot of locker rooms. He used to have access to the Marlins clubhouse back when they were the Mudcats parent club.

And yeah, I agree with goldie. Jackson Simmons was the reason UNC was able to win at FSU. he should get the start next game.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 am

post your story here if you can. I'd like to read it. apparently he had his legs amputated when he was very young. collections are being taken up on PP to repair or replace his chair.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:03 am

a guy who owns a medical supply company in Holly Springs already offered to replace it. great move by CJ to pick him up.

Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:12 PM

Privette OK after being swept up in postgame rush

Talk about being swept up in the moment!

That’s exactly what happened to N.C. State student Will Privette just after the No. 20-ranked Wolfpack finished off top-ranked Duke on Saturday afternoon in PNC Arena.

In a sequence that’s now gone viral on the Internet, Privette, in his wheelchair, was pushed onto the floor by NCSU Student Body President Andy Walsh ahead of the surge of delirious State students eager to celebrate the victory with the Wolfpack players in the center of the floor.

It was all fun and games until Privette was spilled from his wheelchair and spent a few harrowing moments on the floor amid the stampede of excited students. However, he was rescued by the Wolfpack’s C.J. Leslie, one of the stars in the 84-76 win, as the 6-foot-9 junior forward scooped him up.

“C.J. was holding me and I just started jumping and cheering,” said Privette, a senior communications major who hails from Zebulon, in a telephone interview Sunday. “Finally, they got my chair back and C.J. put me back in my chair.”

No worse for wear, Privette found himself an Internet sensation after footage of the video was quickly circulated.

“It’s awesome. I started around 310 Twitter followers (before the game) and now I’m at 780,” said Privette, who’s been interviewed by USA Today, GoPack.com, NBC 17 and The News & Observer, among others. He has an interview scheduled today with The Fan 99.9-FM radio station today.

It’s a strange twist for the 22-year-old (soon to be 23) who is minoring in journalism and has written several freelance articles for The Wilson Times on his beloved Carolina Mudcats minor league baseball team. He is a statistician for the State baseball team and hopes to get a position with an MLB club after graduation.

Now Privette, who was born with limb deformities, shakes his head at the close call.

“It was a bad idea all along but I didn’t care!” he said.

He had been a part of the State students’ on-court celebration when the Wolfpack defeated then No. 6 Duke in 2010, “but then I waited for the first few waves to go through,” he said.

This time, he positioned himself to storm the court when PNC Arena staff members asked him if he planned to go out. When he said he was, Walsh, whom Privette knows, offered to push him. The ESPN footage of the initial surge shows Privette and Walsh “flying into the middle” of the floor before what Privette described as “a domino effect” of a competing student surge from their right sent them both to the floor.

“I think (Wolfpack freshman) Rodney Purvis was the one who backed into me,” Privette described. “Andy said he went down and and had one hand on me and was holding onto Rodney with the other.”

At first, Privette’s chief concern was locating his phone, which he had been using to record the joyful chaos.

“My phone flew out of my hand and my glasses fell off,” he said. “I tried to look for my phone and it kept going further and further way from me so I gave up on it.”

At that point, reality took hold.

“Yeah, I was pretty scared and thinking, ‘This was a bad idea!’” admitted Privette.

But Leslie came to the rescue. Seconds later, Privette said someone handed him his wallet (“I didn’t even know I had lost it!”, then his glasses and finally his phone, which had just a little crack but still worked.

Only his chair didn’t survive. But Privette said he got a call Sunday from fellow State student Carly Dressen, whose father, Ed Dressen, the vice president of Dressen Medical Supply in Holly Springs, offered to replace his chair.

Privette, who said Leslie recognizes him when he sees him on campus, paid a visit to the Wolfpack locker room afterward to thank his rescuer.

“I saw him after the game. I waited for him and said thanks for everything, I appreciate it,” Privette acknowledged.

He also sent a Facebook message to ESPN broadcaster Dick Vitale who expressed on-air concern for his safety once Vitale saw Privette’s wheelchair disappear in the mass of students.

Privette said that while he be more judicious in his approach the next time he’s in a court-storming situation, he’s not going to miss the chance — should his Wolfpack afford him one.

“I don’t know if we’ll have the opportunity to rush again, but yeah, of course!” he said.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 am

great article. thanks.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:06 am

There was a kid in our neighborhood like that stu. His arms and legs were stunted as well. He loved to swim though. I lost track of Bob a long time ago though.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 am

he can get around using his arms over short distances. he would play catch with the Mudcats players during media day sessions.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:09 am

Nice story though. When Bearcat fans ran over a UNCC fan in a wheelchair way back when Charlotte crucified Huggs.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 am

I cant imagine a situation where that would happen. why would UCinn fans rush the court in Charlotte and why would the Charlotte paper bitch about what happened to a fan in Cincinnati?

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:50 am

Charlotte and Cincy are bitter rivals for the title of "Queen City"

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am

I think if memory serves me correctly, it was the other way around. A visiting Cincy fan was injured in Charlotte when 49er fans rushed the court after beating Cincinnati. I think it may go back to CNNSI board days.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am

Charlotte hated Cincy back in C-USA. Sardis might be right though. Those little pricks bitched about everything.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 am

I vaguely remember that whole UNCC and UC thing. Why did they hate each other there for a few years? Wasn't that about the time where Mook started crackin on Cornbread Maxwell?

Glad the kid in the wheelchair is getting some good press and a new wheelchair. That moment of notoriety will get him a job somewhere in sports.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:12 am

"He was born with limb deformities (for reasons never made clear to me)"

Great investigative reporting there, Stu...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 am

That was back when Huggs had UC as a power. UNCC had some punk kid who blew kisses to his girlfriend after every 3 he made. They had a few posters over at SI that were fun to mess with.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 am

"He is a statistician for the State baseball team"

I'm sure that little factoid had Stu seething with jealousy and rage. Stu is a stat man from way back, but the best he could do was Hot Stove league...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 am

hedge wrote:"He is a statistician for the State baseball team"

I'm sure that little factoid had Stu seething with jealousy and rage. Stu is a stat man from way back, but the best he could do was Hot Stove league...
If I only had limb deformities!
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 pm

as much as I get into the whole UK/UL rivalry thing, since its clear UK has no shot at a title , I'd love for UL to win the national championship - just because it raises the UK/UL rivalry to another level.

Pitino has had 2 final four teams while at Louisville, with a collection of players that really had no business being there. The guy can still coach but he'll be forever eclipsed by what is going on down the road.

In order for UK/UL rivalry to continually be mentioned as one of the best in sports, UL has to have success as well.