Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

T Dot O Dot
Senior

NBA Refs are pathetic, this guy should be suspended

Post by T Dot O Dot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:21 pm

[youtube]xOVF3uCqHV8[/youtube]
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:17 am

Hey, gotta respect the food chain.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Couldn't believe what I was seeing myself.

Lucas didn't even say anything and got a tech immediately.

I wonder what league office has to say about that, if anything.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Yeah, I remember that play and, in fairness, when watching it LIVE, it did seem like Lucas tried to push him. It should not have been a tech under ANY stretch of the imagination but I got to admit I was wondering why he pushed him when it happened. It was only after watching the replay that the call seemed absolutely ridiculous. Definitely not a tech though under any circumstance but the league won't care. they will probably just rescind the tech if the Raps argue.

Proof that stats don't tell the whole story - DeMar's stats are comparable to last season, and the season before, but he has played substantially better. If he had ANY respect from the refs, he would be shooting about 4 FT's more per game which would translate into 3+ more points. He still has the tendency to think he is a good 3 pt shooter but he doesn't take alot of them. The thing I love about his game this year.... he continually tries to attack the basket despite rarely getting the calls. that's frustrating but he keeps trying..... eventually it will pay off. I don't ever think he will be an all-star but I also don't think his attitude will EVER hurt a team.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I repeat.... this guy "approaches" VC in terms of athleticism but is ahead of DeRozan. I REALLY hope he learns how to play because the skills are there

[youtube]-O2m5pYEaSY[/youtube]

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:50 pm

that show against Orlando, I gotta say....

I havent heard Rap fans buzz about feats like that since Vince, which is weird since DeMar was supposed to be that guy

which is fine with me, if DeMar works on his post game, getting to free throw line & rebounding he will be well worth his contract but it looks like Ross is going to be the guy putting up the highlights on sportscenter
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 am

I agree dot. I saw all his summer league games and I was amazed at how athletic he was despite being described as a shooter. I wasn't sure if I thought he was really athletic because of the competition or because he really was. I am sold now. He has a ton to learn.... and despite Vince like athleticism, he isn't close to VC in terms of decision making at the same age. VC knew to take it to the hoop and then grew reliant on the jump shot.

right now, Ross is more reliant on the jump shot which makes me hesitant to say he will be a great player. If he "gets it", he will be. I am just glad we have a guy that "could be" a great player and isn't a project. thats a big step

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:04 am

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_121224.html

"Though he’s out now injured, the Raptors supposedly would like to put Kyle Lowry in a trade package and keep Jose Calderon. The Raptors give up 11 more points per game when Lowry is on the court compared with Calderon"

Gonna puke if this actually happened. I don't think Lowry ever got a fair break here and it would be foolish to trade him away and keep Calderon after the very misleading win streak. How many years have we been at this with Calderon? It's now simply time to part ways, enough is enough and he's just not good enough. What the heck did they trade away a lottery pick for then? Because Calderon wasn't going to get it done, now stick to the plan. Or at least let Lowry have a full chance during a reasonable schedule (that starting schedule with all the road games and back-to-backs was ridiculous) without having to deal with 2 PG lineup and Bargnani at the same time. It would be comical if they actually traded Lowry and it turns out Calderon has been using his contract year and the Raptors to latch onto another team in a better contract. But then nobody overpays 'em like Colangelo.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 am

Ed Davis had a nice dunk on Tim Duncan last night. Nice to see a Tar Heel facial-ing a Demon Deacon...

[youtube]iGMnXQKCvZY[/youtube]
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:54 am

He would have been a much better player if he had a better name.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:03 am

I don't know if he would've been a much better player if he had stayed at Carolina one more year, but I damn sure would've liked him better if he had. We had an elite 8 team the year after he left, add him to that squad and we would've been the favorites to win it all...

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:20 pm

re- But then nobody overpays 'em like Colangelo

lol, one max contract in his entire time in TO and pretty much mid level exceptions to everyone else. Fields and Turk were overpaid. Any other contract can be easily debated and defended by far worse signings. If any GM SHOULD overpay, it would be Colangelo since no one will actually sign here without a reason.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:46 pm

hedge wrote:I don't know if he would've been a much better player if he had stayed at Carolina one more year, but I damn sure would've liked him better if he had. We had an elite 8 team the year after he left, add him to that squad and we would've been the favorites to win it all...

don't be surprised if Ed keeps his starting spot when Bargnani comes back, the only reason Ed should go back to the bench is if they want to increase Bargnani's output to make him more attractive for trade

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:20 pm

He showed great potential Carolina but it was never realized. As a freshman on a loaded national championship team, he didn't get a whole lot of playing time, but he was a beast on the boards and everybody had very high expectations for his sophomore year. But he got hurt halfway thru and didn't play at all after that, then he went pro. Never really panned out, at least not at UNC...

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm telling you...it's the name. He would've been better if his parents named him Le or LaEdward.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:38 pm

I'll say this, he was magnitudes better as a freshman than anybody currently on UNC's roster...

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 pm

T Dot O Dot wrote:
hedge wrote:I don't know if he would've been a much better player if he had stayed at Carolina one more year, but I damn sure would've liked him better if he had. We had an elite 8 team the year after he left, add him to that squad and we would've been the favorites to win it all...

don't be surprised if Ed keeps his starting spot when Bargnani comes back, the only reason Ed should go back to the bench is if they want to increase Bargnani's output to make him more attractive for trade
They are apparently gonna keep Calderon as the starter and have Lowry coming off the bench. Apparently, they never heard of the concept of starters not losing their jobs due to injury. So it's only fair that Ed Davis should keep his starting spot and Bargnani come off the bench.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:04 pm

None of our starters have deserved that respect... it's actually the one element of Casey that I love. UNTIL you prove yourself, you sit. I think Ross has been amazing as a rookie but Casey doesn't give him a ton of minutes. I love it. Davis has improved tremendously and I don't want him to get the starting gig full time until he proves it. He has that time until Bargnani comes back but if he struggles.... I hope Casey gives those minutes to Amir.... who doesn't deserve it but it makes a statement to both of those guys.

I really like Casey and is one of the only reasons I would want BC fired. I am scared that he might make a short term trade but I am more scared that he fires Casey as a scapegoat. Casey can coach. He understands the mental part of the game but is hard nosed like Mitchell and Butch were. He has the fire of those two guys but the knowledge of the psychological aspect of the game as well.

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:11 am

I'm okay with Casey but not as impressed as I was last year. Needs two things IMO. Be more consistent with accountability with regards to Bargnani. If he's not gonna give a fair chance to a guy who's new and has had to deal with a lot of adversities over a guy who hasn't gotten shit done for years and has lucked into certain situations, be consistent and sit Bargnani. So far he has been inconsistent at best in this regard when it comes to Colangelo's favorite.

And he needs to do away with that god-awful 2 PG lineup. It simply doesn't work. Never has worked. It's time he realized this. He has more weapons now at the wing so he's got no excuses.

Use Calderon's hot streak as a way to up his trade value and get rid of him sooner than later before it's over as we all have seen before. There was a plan somewhere when we got Lowry off of Houston at the expense of a lottery pick, stick to it.

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:33 pm

re - Be more consistent with accountability with regards to Bargnani

easier said than done. your boss drafted him and then gave him a fair extension. I am VERY sure that Casey has been very consistent with Bargnani but probably not as hard as he would like to be. Coaches don't always have the luxury or reputation to sit their higher priced players too often. Phil Jackson and Poppovich, and before Deron Williams, Jerry Sloan, were only a few of the coaches that had the backing of owner's to sit their best players however long it took.

which is sort of why the 2 PG's doesn't always work.... they are PG's having to defend bigger and taller players.... BUT, they are our better players and have vastly more experience than the majority of the line up. Would I rather use the 2 PG's more than unproven rookies if the other team is small? Yep.... 10 days out of 10 regardless of the results not always backing me up. I think he just has to make sure that the height/speed advantage in the backcourt isn't too big to overcome. probably just change the frequency of the use rather than abandon it. It's not a flawed philosophy to have your best, most experienced, players in the game at crunch time.... regardless of whether the results don't always back you up.