Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

Cats rule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Cats rule » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 pm

AugustWest wrote:The ACC went 0-4 against the SEC in football this weekend and is set to go 3-9 against the Big-1G this week. time for a new acc commissioner.
don't worry....ul's about to climb on board and make the acc relevant in both sports again. of course your academics will take hit, but hey, i can't imagine them having any more no-show, pretend classes than the heels, so maybe they'll fit right in there as well

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by crotch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:45 pm

As expected, Crean wimped out on the idea of playing Kentucky next season at the Barclay Center. No doubt he took one look at UK's incoming class for next season and figured it would be a royal butt kicking.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Stickland is actually facing away from the shooter, appears to be looking at the ball as it's going into the hoop and throwing his arms up in a "hallelujah" pose. McAdoo and the other guy are actually crouching down as if to give the shooter an even less impeded look at the basket. Indeed, McAdoo looks terrified...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)

Post by crotch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:57 pm

The heels looked alot like UK during the Billy Clyde era. Good thing Roy decided to cancel this year's game with Kentucky....he's smarter than you guys give him credit for.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 pm

hedge wrote:I can't understand how we didn't beat IU last night what with our swarming, tenacious, in your face defense and all...

Creighton :)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:48 pm

eCat wrote:
AlabamAlum wrote:eCat,

Who will you pull for if you go to that?
The hot dog vendor

actually I just enjoy good college basketball and UC is a pretty good atmosphere - especially if the game is on ESPN and kids are into it.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:58 pm

I understand eCat. I was just hoping to adopt you as a Bama fan for the game.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)

Post by crotch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:00 pm

The dismantling of the ACC and strengthening of the Big Four is coming. The only things that can stop it are high-priced lawyers.

“We’d be absolutely foolish to not watch Maryland,” one FSU official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Sporting News. “If or when they get out of (the $50 million buyout), everything changes. It’s almost like free agency.”

If that’s true, Maryland is the Curt Flood of college football. And it could lead to the one remaining mega move still out there: Florida State and Clemson to the Big 12.

If that happens, the two crown jewels of the ACC become available. Duke and North Carolina, which an ACC source said have been chased by the SEC for “the last three years,” will choose between the Big Ten and the SEC.

For those who don’t think this is serious, consider this: The ACC announced Tuesday it had filed suit against Maryland to force the university to pay the full $50 million exit fee. Maryland and Florida State were the only two ACC schools to vote against the league’s $50 million buyout fee.

Looks as if the 'Big Four' Superconferences will be the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and possibly the Pac 12. Other than the SEC, the others will need a rename.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 pm

crotch wrote:The dismantling of the ACC and strengthening of the Big Four is coming. The only things that can stop it are high-priced lawyers.

“We’d be absolutely foolish to not watch Maryland,” one FSU official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Sporting News. “If or when they get out of (the $50 million buyout), everything changes. It’s almost like free agency.”

If that’s true, Maryland is the Curt Flood of college football. And it could lead to the one remaining mega move still out there: Florida State and Clemson to the Big 12.

If that happens, the two crown jewels of the ACC become available. Duke and North Carolina, which an ACC source said have been chased by the SEC for “the last three years,” will choose between the Big Ten and the SEC.

For those who don’t think this is serious, consider this: The ACC announced Tuesday it had filed suit against Maryland to force the university to pay the full $50 million exit fee. Maryland and Florida State were the only two ACC schools to vote against the league’s $50 million buyout fee.

Looks as if the 'Big Four' Superconferences will be the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and possibly the Pac 12. Other than the SEC, the others will need a rename.
Are you (are any of you) convinced that it is the Big-XII and NOT the ACC that will survive? I have seen 4 Big-XII teams poached from the Big-XII and only 1 poached from the ACC (so far.) And that one team (Maryland) will not be going anywhere if they refuse to cut that $50,000,000 check.

The ACC might get to 16 before anyone else.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

AlabamAlum wrote:I understand eCat. I was just hoping to adopt you as a Bama fan for the game.

if I go, eh what the hell. I have a Bama sweatshirt
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd love for UNC and Florida St to join the SEC

I don't see any $$$ value of adding Duke - unless we have a math bowl between them and Vandy

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:47 pm

crashcourse wrote:good day for indiana

pacers beat the lakers on a buzzerbeating layup by george hill

lakers now 2-3 with their new coach whom I expect to be fired by the end of the week
Sadly, D'Antoni is staying in LA. They're already paying Mike Brown $9M to stay home and they disrespected Phil Jackson so bad, he's not coming back. This is what LA has to deal with for the next three years of Kobe's career. Maybe it'll change with Nash's return.

UK v IU in Bklyn

I would love if they came to Barclays.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 pm

UNC and UK don't play this year? When did that happen?

eCat
Mr. Pissant

Post by eCat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Saint wrote:UNC and UK don't play this year? When did that happen?
Cal was looking at a schedule where he had UL/IU/UNC/Duke and to a lesser extent Maryland and talked to UNC about quitting a year and then starting back up. Roy agreed.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:34 pm

UC - Alabama will draw the normal 5K crowd. Alabama in basketball is nothing special. Gonna be a good test for UC though playing an SEC team that actually cares about basketball.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Louisville for Maryland is a wash, IMO. Sure, the Terps have the original member pedigree and geographic proximity but Louisville will be a good fit. Then again, the ACC really isn't the ACC anymore so pretty much anyone would be a good fit.

I wonder if the ACC will survive if its lawsuit agin Md. over the exit fee is struck down. IMO, college sports is screwing itself in the long run in this fit of greed. I would think a pretty solid case could now be made for a class-action lawsuit on behalf of NCAA football players, who supply the majority of athletic revenue for peanuts.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Florida does not want Florida State in the SEC
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Stu is now offline...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Saint wrote:Louisville for Maryland is a wash, IMO. Sure, the Terps have the original member pedigree and geographic proximity but Louisville will be a good fit. Then again, the ACC really isn't the ACC anymore so pretty much anyone would be a good fit.

I wonder if the ACC will survive if its lawsuit agin Md. over the exit fee is struck down. IMO, college sports is screwing itself in the long run in this fit of greed. I would think a pretty solid case could now be made for a class-action lawsuit on behalf of NCAA football players, who supply the majority of athletic revenue for peanuts.
Greed is the good word, but I think the better word is musical chairs.

There is just 64 to 67 (depending on the power and clout of the independants, and that includes Texas as IND) chairs available for the largest slices of the tv money pie, and everyone wants to be IN and not OUT. The assumption is (and it is a correct one) that the SEC and the B1G are "safe." Anyone in those two conferences get the money, gets a chair in the tv money musical chairs game. Pac-12 appears to be "safe" simply because of geography and unity. (Oregon State would never-ever bolt for the B1G if given an offer simply because leaving the Pac-12 would be like the most faithful man in the world leaving his wife and marriage.) So the rest are trying to "form" that remaining all powerful 16 to get their fair share.

Already, B1G and SEC schools are getting more money. Is Maryland going to get MORE by moving from the ACC to the B1G? Yes. But that is not the true motivation for the move. Their motive to move was the same motive that Miami, BC, and VPI had back in 2004, self-preservation. They see the ACC explosing the way Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, and A&M saw the Big-XII, a house of cards with no marital unity to keep the household together. Maryland sees the ACC the way the ACC and the Big-XII see the Big East, no room for anyone in that musical chairs game.

We were headed this way. This is pure capitalism, RAW CAPITALISM. I don't care how much the NCAA tweeks the numbers, you are not going to get anywhere near the kind of wealth, clout, and earning power out of a powerful Wake Forest that happens to stumble on to a 10-2 season (once in a decade) that you would out of a 5-7 Ohio State. Alumni matter. TV matters. Stadium size matters. That is where the money is. The BCS would still rather have that 5-7 Ohio State play in the national championship over a 12-0 Vandy even if the NCAA would never allow it. So everyone wants to be in the conference WITH Ohio State (and even be willing to take it up the preverbial ass from Ohio State the way Texas sodomizes K-State, Kansas, and Baylor) if being with them guarantees them more money than they could ever possibly negotiate on their own working as a single.

BYU is learning this right now (about independance and raw capitalism) the hardway.

Small schools with small numbers of alumni are scrambling. They are fucked. BC is fucked. They don't have the luck of geogrpahy that Vandy and Northwestern have (locking into conferances that protect them/coddle them/subsidize MORE than they could ever do for themselves.) But it is coming to a head. And in the end, math wins.

Saint
All-American

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:33 pm

you could have just saved time and made your point just as accurately by using your last sentence only.