DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: College Football

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:59 pm

AugustWest wrote:
DooKSucks wrote:1961 and the probation we are on now are the only ones that I can think of right now.
61 was recruiting violations and 63 was point shaving.
We were never placed on probation for point shaving allegations. I don't think that the guy who talked about it was anything more than roll player on his best day. Dean was coach in '63. So, it would have been before that, because the point shaving allegations (which involved State too) happened during the end of McGuire's tenure.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 pm

BigRedMan wrote:
hedge wrote: I actually don't really care if the football players are literate...
Dexter Manley would agree with you if he could read your post.

DS: HI!!

Rickart: HI!!

DS: Or was that during your tenure as a Cowboy fan......
Fuck you, fat boy.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:14 pm

HEH
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 pm

maybe if they let the coaches grade the kids as much time as is spent by these kids playing for their team perhaps academic hours should be awarded.

majored in Tarheel basketball earning 40 creditss alone with a 4.0 average for michael jordan and if you suck or dongt give any effort your coach can fail you

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by AugustWest » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Cletus, what Hedge is talking about and what went on at u*nc are two different things. Every school has crib courses no problem with that.

What happened at carolina was fraud. Jocks were given credit for classes for which there were no meetings, no prof and no work turned in at all. Grades were changed and signatures were forged, and nobody knows who did it. Classes were set up right before registration with a class limit of 1 then 20 jocks would enroll and get credit. Borderline student athletes were given up to 6 hours credit for independent study courses that are supposedly for advances students capable of doing work on their own, and there is no evidence that any work was ever turned for these courses. u*nc's loophole is that regular students were able to take some of the same courses. Well some of the classes had only athletes in them and we dont know the make up of the "regular" students. They could have been walk-on's, trainers and girlfriends.

Why would a fine university like u*nc set up dozens for fake (not easy, fake) classes? to benefit regular students? That's ludicrous especially considering that athletes make up less than 5% of the student body but approximately 60% of the enrollees in the fake courses. U*NC says N'ygaro(sp) and a secretary named Crowder were totally responsible for the fraud, yet some of the classes took place after Crowder retired and while N'ygaro was in Africa, so they couldn't have been the only one's involved and why would they do this? The classes were set up to keep athletes eligible, and regular students were allowed in precisely to allow for the loophole that u*nc and the ncaa are currently exploiting.

Jim Harrack got fired from Georgia because his players where taking classes where the final had questions like "How many points are a 3-point shot worth?" The difference is that U*NC's jocks didn't even have to take a final, but because Georgia admitted the classes were fraud the NCAA could punish them but because U*NC refuses to admit to the NCAA that the classes are fraud the NCAA can't touch them. The template that U*NC has set would let any school set up fake classes, give what ever grade they wanted to keep athletes eligible, and as long as a few regular students were allowed to take the same courses everything is kosher.

TL:DR, U*NC and the NCAA are corrupt institutions that are ruining college athletics and both should rot in hell, blah, blah, blah.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:39 pm

"Why would a fine university like u*nc set up dozens for fake (not easy, fake) classes? to benefit regular students? That's ludicrous"

How is that any different from the classes I described, where students who could afford summer trips to Europe (which enable the professors and their wives to also go for free, all expenses paid) got A's in a foreign language that they couldn't read or speak a word of after 3 or 4 semesters of A credit? You act like you're OK with that sort of thing, but not athletes getting easy grades in Af-Am courses. What is the difference? And from what I could see from Julius Peppers' transcript, they got alot of C's in those Af-Am courses. Maybe it was enough to keep them playing, but a far cry from well-heeled (pardon the pun) students getting straight A's for going on a European tour. The main thing they had to learn was how to buy a Euro-Rail pass and read a train schedule.

Look, undergrad "education" at any liberal arts college is not the same as med school or law school or engineering school (I ain't scared to throw NCState a bone here). Religion departments, Lit departments, Poli Sci, Intro to Psychology, Af-Am, etc., etc. etc., come on, any halfway intelligent student who just shows up to class most of the time is going to do fine. That JUST IS what a liberal arts "education" is...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:48 pm

hedge wrote:"Why would a fine university like u*nc set up dozens for fake (not easy, fake) classes? to benefit regular students? That's ludicrous"

How is that any different from the classes I described, where students who could afford summer trips to Europe (which enable the professors and their wives to also go for free, all expenses paid) got A's in a foreign language that they couldn't read or speak a word of after 3 or 4 semesters of A credit? You act like you're OK with that sort of thing, but not athletes getting easy grades in Af-Am courses. What is the difference? And from what I could see from Julius Peppers' transcript, they got alot of C's in those Af-Am courses. Maybe it was enough to keep them playing, but a far cry from well-heeled (pardon the pun) students getting straight A's for going on a European tour. The main thing they had to learn was how to buy a Euro-Rail pass and read a train schedule.

Look, undergrad "education" at any liberal arts college is not the same as med school or law school or engineering school (I ain't scared to throw NCState a bone here). Religion departments, Lit departments, Poli Sci, Intro to Psychology, Af-Am, etc., etc. etc., come on, any halfway intelligent student who just shows up to class most of the time is going to do fine. That JUST IS what a liberal arts "education" is...
if you cant see the difference between getting on a plane flying a few thousand miles and spending time in a different culture and spending time in a weight room for the same class then I cant help you. And if that's the case then why couldn't Rodney Purvis go to Spain with our basketball team?
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

I've got no problem flying to Europe and spending time in a different culture, but why should you get 12 hours of A credit for it? Esp. when 6 of those hours are given after you get back to the States. But I'm sure Harvard and Yale don't offer that sort of thing. Yeah, right...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:12 pm

hedge wrote:I've got no problem flying to Europe and spending time in a different culture, but why should you get 12 hours of A credit for it? Esp. when 6 of those hours are given after you get back to the States. But I'm sure Harvard and Yale don't offer that sort of thing. Yeah, right...
You see, we don't even speak the same language on this issue. If a rich student gets on a plane, flies to Paris, and learns absolutely nothing from the trip then he should get a bad grade but the class is not fraudulent. If he sits in his apartment in Chapel Hill playing video games and U*NC gives him any credit for a trip to Paris, then the class is fraudulent. If a jock takes Swahili and learns how to speak the language, then he should get an A, and the class is legitimate, if he never goes to class, never meets with his prof, and can't speak a word of the language, yet still gets an A, then the class is fraudulent. Do you want me to define"is" for you next? If a jock never goes to class, never meets his prof, and can't add 3+4, but gets an A in differential equations the class is fraud.

Is a pick up game in socks an "illegal tryout"? or selling used tennis shoes and comp tickets an illegal benefit?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Mike Kings head would explode if he has to moderate this mess.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ts_wi.html

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Appeals panel overturns Saints player suspensions

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f ... ?hpt=hp_t1
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Zzzzzzzz.....

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 pm

Goodell will have them back suspended by Tuesday.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Secant, Tangent, Cosine, Sine
3 point one four one five nine.
Kansas' new coach is Charley Weis.
What an embarrassment to lose to Rice.

0-20 against the Big 12 no longer
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:00 pm

When did they start playing football in Kansas? Was it government sponsored?

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:34 pm

smh@ Miami Dolphins
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:18 pm

I guess Welker forgot he was playing in a 1 year contract.

Wes Chad Johnson Welker

Also, this is what Yahoo said about Adrian Peterson

He's at best a gametime decision and it looks like he will be very limited if he plays. . Fuckers!
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Randall Cobb!
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:27 pm

He still boxing?
Let 'er Blow!

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I've never been a Peyton Manning fan. I've never spent any time cheering for the Denver Broncos. With that said, it warms my heart to watch Peyton Manning play again, and play well.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.