Moderators: eCat, hedge, Cletus

AugustWest
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Some had both, some had only athletes. There is evidence that some classes were added to the catalogue at the last minute with a max class size of one. Then 15 or 20 athletes would enroll. If regular students managed to sign up they were allowed to "take" the class.
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm

You could've just said "yes"...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

"Hedge, what do you think UNC has been accused of? The specific charges."

As far as I know, we haven't been charged with anything. As far as accusations by State fans, the farrago is too long and absurd to catalog here. We'll see if anything comes of it...

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:35 pm

hedge wrote:"Hedge, what do you think UNC has been accused of? The specific charges."

As far as I know, we haven't been charged with anything. As far as accusations by State fans, the farrago is too long and absurd to catalog here. We'll see if anything comes of it...
Charged was a bad choice of word. I should have said "what UNC has admitted to doing while claiming it's not an NCAA issue."
U*NC is the cleanest most honest athletic program on the planet. I am jealous of their deserved success, and I'm a mewling cunt.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:13 pm

What's this about Glennon taking an abundance of "online courses?"
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm

What do you mean by "online courses"? Surely NCState student/athletes aren't taking any courses that don't meet regularly in a physical classroom, with a teacher present, who takes attendance. No way that could be happening...

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Y'all's reach isnt long enough. But, please keep trying. Glennon is a grad student. Hell, he could be taking one dance class like Leinart did out at USC and still be eligible. But of course that's not the point. An on line course is an on line course so no the class doesn't meet. A lecture class on the other hand should meet, which is of course is the issue at UNC where lecture classes never met. Nice try. Hell, keep it up you're only making yourselves and UNC look more and more foolish.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 pm

So your complaint is that our guys were supposed to be taking lecture courses, but didn't have to show up for class (irregardless of any work they turned in or not, and irregardless of whatever grade they got), but you'd be OK with it if they simply showed up for class and talked about the weather (or whatever) and still got a bogus grade? Have I got that right? You're OK with academic chicanery as long as the student athlete shows up on a semi-regular basis to an actual classroom with some sort of approved instructor sitting at the front of the class, irregardless of what is being taught (or not taught)?

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Most boring argument ever.

DooKSucks
G. Pompous Ass, II, Esq.

Post by DooKSucks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I cannot comment on the accuracy of this document, but it is interesting: http://freepdfhosting.com/f27d3c6b04.pdf

I am sure our resident Wuffie will soon arrive to inform everyone that this is false and start posting links to stories about the AFAM department and Julius Peppers.
I proudly took AFAM 040 at Carolina.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:11 pm

tldr
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:52 pm

hedge wrote:So your complaint is that our guys were supposed to be taking lecture courses, but didn't have to show up for class (irregardless of any work they turned in or not, and irregardless of whatever grade they got), but you'd be OK with it if they simply showed up for class and talked about the weather (or whatever) and still got a bogus grade? Have I got that right? You're OK with academic chicanery as long as the student athlete shows up on a semi-regular basis to an actual classroom with some sort of approved instructor sitting at the front of the class, irregardless of what is being taught (or not taught)?
I would prefer that classes meet and actually discuss their topic, assignments are given and turned in and the students actually learn something. You know, like a real class. Obviously that's not an option at UNC.

AugustWest
Senior

Post by AugustWest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:07 pm

DooKSucks wrote:I cannot comment on the accuracy of this document, but it is interesting: http://freepdfhosting.com/f27d3c6b04.pdf

I am sure our resident Wuffie will soon arrive to inform everyone that this is false and start posting links to stories about the AFAM department and Julius Peppers.
shocking that a course designed to help athletes acclimate to campus life would be taught by a member of the athletic department, you know the department that is supposed to know what student athletes can and cannot do under ncaa rules, oh wait, unc just got hammered for 9 major violations so obviously your AD wouldn't know.

Would it be all that surprising to see NC State football players taking these "upper level"
courses early on in their collegiate careers?

but he doesn't show that. post the data. if State athletes are taking gimmie courses without the proper prerequisites, then that is a major problem that needs to be fixed. What he's shown is a couple of courses with high instances of "A"'s Well as I've shown you several times 82% of all grades at UNC are A's or B's. State's entitled to some easy classes too.

This is my favorite part

No wonder NC State has the illustrious honor of being Newsweek's eighth least rigorous university in the

Seems to me that a university that has like a 48% 4 year graduation rate would by definition be "rigorous" as opposed to universities that graduate 75+ %, but we don't have the proper student to professor ratio so I guess it's a fair cop.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:01 pm

I tend to believe thst Northern Carolina are cheating sos a bitches.
Let 'er Blow!

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:23 am

What is ZZL and IC?
My Dad is my hero still.

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:37 am

IC is Inside Carolina, probably the most popular Carolina website, but notoriously draconian when it comes to sass of any type. There are some posters over there who sometimes have good info regarding recruiting, which is the only reason I go there (I've never posted there, doubt I would last more than a day). ZZL is on of the forums within IC in which non-sports related topics are discussed. That thing I posted about all the banning is the only time I've ever looked in ZZL (and the main reason I've never posted there), I stick to the hoops thread 98% of the time and occasionally check out the football thread. Anytime I've ever mentioned anything about something "from IC", I am referring to the hoops thread...

hedge
Legend

Post by hedge » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 am

"if State athletes are taking gimmie courses without the proper prerequisites, then that is a major problem that needs to be fixed. "

So if State is doing it, it's just something that needs to be fixed. If Carolina is doing it, it's time to shut the entire athletic department down (and, if you had your way, the entire university). Ah well, State fans can always dream...

"I would prefer that classes meet and actually discuss their topic, assignments are given and turned in and the students actually learn something. You know, like a real class. Obviously that's not an option at UNC."

Wow, that's breaking news. UNC has no faculty, no staff, no way for any student to take an actual class with a teacher in a classroom. It's not an option! State fans say so! LMAO...

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:41 am

thanks
My Dad is my hero still.

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 am

hedge wrote:IC is Inside Carolina, probably the most popular Carolina website, but notoriously draconian when it comes to sass of any type. There are some posters over there who sometimes have good info regarding recruiting, which is the only reason I go there (I've never posted there, doubt I would last more than a day). ZZL is on of the forums within IC in which non-sports related topics are discussed. That thing I posted about all the banning is the only time I've ever looked in ZZL (and the main reason I've never posted there), I stick to the hoops thread 98% of the time and occasionally check out the football thread. Anytime I've ever mentioned anything about something "from IC", I am referring to the hoops thread...
there used to be a poster at CNNSI that hung with us, I can't remember her name, something like TarheelJanet (probably not even close to it) and she'd flip out because CNNSI would not moderate insults to Carolina. To be fair, the UK thread had several of those people as well. YouKay was noted for dogging us after she became a mod at Kentucky Sports Report. (Btw, she quit her mod position in protest to UK hiring Calipari and refuses to cheer for our program now)

Anyways, she ended up at IC for several years and anytime, and I mean, anytime, a poster would criticize Carolina she do a "MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD" and the mods would dutifully do it, often within minutes of her posting. It was crazy. There was absolutely no dissenting opinion. What used to be Kentucky Sports Report, and is now the CatsPause was the same way. I got banned there at least 4 different times with the loophole "no agenda posting" rule. My posting style hasn't changed a bit and now I'm considered tame (and mostly irreverent) to the important "topics". Granted, information that was posted back in the day was much better and more informed, so the relaxed rules has allowed any moron with a computer to flood it with their inane bullshit.
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

crotch
Senior (Citizen)
College Hoops Affiliation: Eastern Kentucky

Post by crotch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:20 am

I remember YouKay... if not mistaken, she was in the UK band.