Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu May 19, 2011 11:26 am

The latest outrageous federal power grab is the NRLB telling Boeing they can't move a plant and jobs to another state. The founding fathers would be outraged by this, but I fully expect a court will approve it, and SCOTUS will ratify it.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu May 19, 2011 12:09 pm

Simply regulating commerce...
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 19, 2011 12:16 pm

The question isn't whether Boeing has the right to move the plant (they do) it's over whether they can unilaterally move the plant without bargaining with the union with whom they currently have a contract. The NLRB in the recent past has generally not raised objections when a plant closure or relocation isn't primarily motivated by cutting labor costs. This decision marks an attempted shift in that policy.

Of course, I'm sure it's debatable whether Boeing's primary motivation is the search for cheaper labor. It's doubtful they are moving from Seattle to South Carolina because the workforce is more educated there.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu May 19, 2011 12:19 pm

True, them dumbass Carolinians been screwing up BMWs for years now...

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Oh suddenly you think assembly line work requires good people and smart skilled workers? Funny, you think the union workers who assemble the same cars are stupid as shit and lazy as hell.

And check out BMW's reviews in Consumer Reports...all the German cars, actually. Well below the Japanese, Koreans, and even Ford.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu May 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Yer the one casting aspersion on the SC workforce.

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu May 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Oh suddenly you think assembly line work requires good people and smart skilled workers?
When did he say that? You implied it. His response just suggested that it wouldn't be an issue. And he's right.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

THE_WIZARD_
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Nebraska

Post by THE_WIZARD_ » Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 pm

The Commerce Clause pretty much let's the federal government get around states rights issues...it's a fucking license to steal.
THE_WIZARD_. Internet legend and all around good guy. STFU.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Thu May 19, 2011 1:52 pm

10ac wrote:BOJ

What kind of practice are you going to have. My favorite doctor was an Indian, Mukergee, or something like that. A little guy, surgeon, but he died of cancer a couple of years ago. He used to call me Mr. Mike. Heh, I loved it. Anyway my doctor now is Fischer. He likes to talk with a Gerrman accent and wear UT clothes but I know he's from Arkansas. I like the guy but he put me on some kind of Berkely program that cost me 500 bucks out of pocket and the only thing thats wrong with me is my "good" cholesteol (sp) is low. Manchester isn't that far away.
I'm a general surgeon. I operate on everything from chin to knees LOL.

I do some general practice too. I do it now working in the ER and some people only want one doc, and they pick a surgeon cause they can take care of pretty much everything at one stop. I don't want that to be the majority of my practice though. I like medicine, but I like to operate too. I will do it occasionally, for people who have a hard time finding a primary care doc or that are pretty simple to manage and want only one doc etc. But I have to be careful and not tick off the PCP's in the area who will be refering me the patients they have that need surgery.

I open July 15th, 1030 McAurthur Street, Manchester TN and I would be happy to see you.

Big Orange Junky
Junior

Post by Big Orange Junky » Thu May 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Tick, unless something has changed our own state of Tennessee will issue a license without insurance. In Tennessee the requirement for insurance ONLY applied for vehicles driven on the road and registered.

They didn't even require it to register a car, you just have to have proof of insurance if stopped when the law was first changed.

Now days they may require it to register a car, I think they may, but I know that a few years ago they did not, nor did they require it for getting a license (this was after the law saying you had to have insurance).

Heck I can remember back when I first started driving they only required insurance if you were in an accident LOL. The state would ask for proof of insurance after an accident, and at no other time. Not at traffic stops, not at the DMV, and not at the testing station.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu May 19, 2011 2:57 pm

When you started driving, BOJ, approximately 45% of the drivers in this state were breaking financial responsibility laws. Now that it's a misdemeanor to drive without proof of insurance...that number is now down around 17%

In some age classes, liability insurance is the same price as it was 11 years ago. Adjusted for inflation, all classes are considerably less expensive than they were back then. I've made the case before....if you have everybody (or nearly everybody) paying into the insurance pool, then everybody's premiums go down. It ain't exactly rocket science.

Anywho. There is currently no nationwide mandate for health insurance in force yet, and not coincidentaly came the forecast yesterday for healthcare rates to increase on average this year by 8.5 percent. Of course, those increases are only significant for you schlubs who are paying customers..not the no-paying emergency-ward-wonders who somehow embody the pioneering American spirit.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

hedge
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by hedge » Thu May 19, 2011 3:09 pm

It's fun watching Space whip the shit out of IB...
I want someone's ass blistered in the middle of Thanksgiving Square.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu May 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Professor Tiger wrote: The founding fathers would be outraged by this, but I fully expect a court will approve it, and SCOTUS will ratify it.
The founding fathers would be outraged by cars; the infernal metal beasts!
My Dad is my hero still.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu May 19, 2011 3:36 pm

THE_WIZARD_ wrote:The Commerce Clause pretty much let's the federal government get around states rights issues...it's a fucking license to steal.
What has the federal government stolen from the states?
My Dad is my hero still.

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by GBJs » Thu May 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Oh suddenly you think assembly line work requires good people and smart skilled workers? Funny, you think the union workers who assemble the same cars are stupid as shit and lazy as hell.

And check out BMW's reviews in Consumer Reports...all the German cars, actually. Well below the Japanese, Koreans, and even Ford.
Tell ya what... YOU go grab a drill motor and start making holes in aircraft aluminum and castings without skill and competency in the field. Those holes are measured center to center and with tolerences of .001 for a reason. Just because you can change a tire on your car doesn't mean you can on an aircraft without certification.
Worth. Every. Cent.

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by GBJs » Thu May 19, 2011 9:10 pm

bluetick wrote:When you started driving, BOJ, approximately 45% of the drivers in this state were breaking financial responsibility laws. Now that it's a misdemeanor to drive without proof of insurance...that number is now down around 17%

In some age classes, liability insurance is the same price as it was 11 years ago. Adjusted for inflation, all classes are considerably less expensive than they were back then. I've made the case before....if you have everybody (or nearly everybody) paying into the insurance pool, then everybody's premiums go down. It ain't exactly rocket science.

Anywho. There is currently no nationwide mandate for health insurance in force yet, and not coincidentaly came the forecast yesterday for healthcare rates to increase on average this year by 8.5 percent. Of course, those increases are only significant for you schlubs who are paying customers..not the no-paying emergency-ward-wonders who somehow embody the pioneering American spirit.
I get your point, and agree by the way. The truth is, driving is a priviledge not a right. I do think that with that priviledge should come the responsiblity of atleast liability insurance. The full coverage stuff comes from making payments, and need for the car to be repaired should an accident occur.
Worth. Every. Cent.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 19, 2011 10:25 pm

GBJs wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:Oh suddenly you think assembly line work requires good people and smart skilled workers? Funny, you think the union workers who assemble the same cars are stupid as shit and lazy as hell.

Tell ya what... YOU go grab a drill motor and start making holes in aircraft aluminum and castings without skill and competency in the field. Those holes are measured center to center and with tolerences of .001 for a reason. Just because you can change a tire on your car doesn't mean you can on an aircraft without certification.
LOL...I'm not the one that's ever suggested that the guys in South Carolina making significantly less money will produce a product just as good. Or that the workers in Seattle are overpaid, union slobs.

I'd forgotten the PNN wisdom though. CEO's and executives need to be paid as much as possible because money buys talent. But the average worker is most likely overpaid (especially if he's union) and money just makes him soft and lazy

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Speaking of the besmirched workers of the great state of South Carolina, I'm leaving for Sea Island tomorrow. Next to Jordan Hare Stadium, it's my favorite place on earth. If I ever become so rich I don't have to pay taxes anymore, I'll live there permanently.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 pm

I'd forgotten the PNN wisdom though. CEO's and executives need to be paid as much as possible because money buys talent. But the average worker is most likely overpaid (especially if he's union) and money just makes him soft and lazy
Heh. There's a corollary to the same PNN wisdom: those lazy, overpaid workers mooch off the productivity of their underpaid and underappreciated bosses.