Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Moderators: T Dot O Dot, Owlman, Bklyn

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Re: Toronto Raptors - We can't be pathetic forever, can we?

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:59 pm

"Yeah, hiiii. Landry, look, I'm gonna have to ask you not to sign that contract. In fact, I'll just take it from you there. Greaaat".
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:06 pm

I am not sure how BC is to blame for toronto being an unattractive destination for free agents but he's trying to upgrade the roster with the only means possible. Let's say he spends nothing this summer and has 17M next summer.... who would legitimately sign with the team that wouldn't be significantly overpaid? We are forced to overpay regardless. Portland had to max Hibbert for one good season. No thanks.

the one thing I hate about the entire FA process is that everyone with the ability to post an article on the web has the ability to spread an unsubstantiated rumour by stating "according to an executive close to negotiations" or "according to an agent with intimate details of the discussions".... etc etc etc

It's all unobliterated BS until a guy makes a decision. How many thought Deron Williams was re-signing with NJ at the end of the season (without a Howard trade)? Yet pretty much everyone wrote about their inside sources saying how Deron wanted to leave. yet, he was one of the first one's to sign after trading for a vastly overpaid and overrated Joe Johnson. Money has an amazing way to making people believe different things.

Out of all the mistakes this franchise keeps making, here is one that they need to stop..... if your superstar doesn't sign an extension before the final year of free agency..... trade him at the best offer made. Better yet.... tell every team in the league he's on the market and will be dealt before September 1st.... put in your best offer.

we have been screwed out of good assets by believing they would stay.

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm fine with overpaying, just don't assume a guy's gonna come and make moves (i.e. draft and signings) that hinges on the guy coming or moves that's clearly designed to force the guy's hand and all goes to hell if he's still not coming. That's all on Colangelo. Ross and Fields and whatever else he's got up his sleeve in a desperate attempt to get Nash here.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:30 pm

seriously though, BC cant rescind, the Toronto Raptors as an organization would be rescinding

were already a laughing stock, why risk further damage?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Ross may be tied to Nash but I am still not sold that he wasn't best for the team in the situation. I think they were trying to get a 2 or 3 in the draft. Fields was absolutely a calculated gamble but I still ask... who else would accept the 19M that is available? He's overpaid but it's not grossly overpaid if he returns to his rookie form.... and standing around and watching Melo shoot isn't the easiest offense in the world.

It's not a great deal but it's not like it will destroy the franchise. Unfortunately the team isn't bad enough to get us that elusive high draft pick to build around.

I honestly don't think it's the worst situation we could be in and I would rather a guy try to make the team better than wait and hope that we can use all that cap space to sign one of the top notch free agents or a guy that has a lot of potential..... I just don't see those deals happening.

it's easier to trade players than cap space so I am not a big fan of being 10-15M under the cap... you rarely see good trades benefitting the team with alot of cap space. I would rather see the team have a bunch of guys that could be added to deals that have short term contracts (making them even easier to move).

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm okay with Ross as well, he's Casey's guy

Nash is BC's , I dont buy that they are tied into each other

but I'm still wondering if BC had the sense to make the Landry offer conditional on us receiving a verbal agreement from Nash

and I'm also guessing that someone was brainstorming one day and just drew a straight line between Nash's free agency & playing in Canada? Because I dont remember where Nash ever said he wanted to play here, it was just a desperate general manager, the hungry media searching for a story and an out of control hype train

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Lakers?

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Wow.

Nash to Lakers for 4 draft picks and cash.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Bklyn wrote:Nash is coming to LA...for cheap.

LMAO

good call

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Nash will receive a three-year deal in excess of $25 million, sources said, because the Suns ultimately agreed to sign-and-trade him to the Lakers, who can absorb Nash via the trade exception they created by dealing Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks in December.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
I'll tell you what: the Landry Fields news conference in Toronto will be a lot more interesting than Nash's in L.A.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:28 pm

according to Nash's agent, LA being a 1 hour flight away from his kids sealed the deal

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Landry Fields

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 pm

unbelievable

sotola
Sophomore

Post by sotola » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:23 pm

re - Bklyn wrote:Nash is coming to LA...for cheap.

25M and 4 picks is hardly cheap. I also don't think Phoenix could have done any worse in a forced trade request by Nash.

the picks are rather interesting if injuries happen to surface in LA.

just goes to show the appeal of our money relative to other teams. I just hope that BC holds the rest of the stash to overpay for someone next season. Other than Nash, there wasn't one free agent I was interested in (not including Williams who we had no chance on).

If the Lakers can remain healthy, he's an awesome pick up for them. It might also put more pressure on Howard to consider the Lakers.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Gracias, mi gente.

Now, for my next trick: Dwight for Drew. Nash is the convincing piece for Howard, so he knows he's getting plenty of touches.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by Bklyn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
RT @FisolaNYDN: Grant Hill will either join Steve Nash and the Lakers or retire, a source close to the veteran forward told me
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:30 am

Well, worst fear has been realized. I know Raptors can't come out looking good rescinding that deal but can we come out of this looking much worse by doing it than we already are? This is a PR disaster already as it is. I see Colangelo certainly feeling the heat over this. He's gonna be out for blood and somebody's gonna get paid!!!
sotola wrote:Ross may be tied to Nash but I am still not sold that he wasn't best for the team in the situation. I think they were trying to get a 2 or 3 in the draft. Fields was absolutely a calculated gamble but I still ask... who else would accept the 19M that is available? He's overpaid but it's not grossly overpaid if he returns to his rookie form.... and standing around and watching Melo shoot isn't the easiest offense in the world.

It's not a great deal but it's not like it will destroy the franchise. Unfortunately the team isn't bad enough to get us that elusive high draft pick to build around.

I honestly don't think it's the worst situation we could be in and I would rather a guy try to make the team better than wait and hope that we can use all that cap space to sign one of the top notch free agents or a guy that has a lot of potential..... I just don't see those deals happening.

it's easier to trade players than cap space so I am not a big fan of being 10-15M under the cap... you rarely see good trades benefitting the team with alot of cap space. I would rather see the team have a bunch of guys that could be added to deals that have short term contracts (making them even easier to move).
He wasn't the best for the team. With a situation like ours where we aren't bad enough for top pick and we aren't good enough for top seed, you go with BPA, the guy with highest ceiling and hope for the best. Ross's is limited. I would've rather they taken Drummond then I'm not sure if they couldn't have used Amir Johnson or Ed Davis as major pieces to get someone comparable to Ross. If you wanna go for need, go after someone through trade or free agency and don't fuck with draft pick.

As for Fields... again I don't know how you defend this signing. Don't we already have 4 mediocre wings who's arguably just as good as Fields getting less money? And every single one of them probably has just as bright or brighter future ahead of them than Fields. I'm ok with overpaying for a position of need or for an upgrade or for potential even, but not for a comparable talent to what we already got. Just cause you got money to spend, doesn't mean you gotta go out and spend every penny on anybody that will accept.

yossarian1234
Sophomore

Post by yossarian1234 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 am

Goran Dragic, who is supposedly next big FA PG is gone to Phoenix now.

So are we now stuck with Calderone and Bayless again? WTF? Really, put Colangelo out of his misery now before he does any more damage.

Simitar
Sophomore

Post by Simitar » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 pm

yossarian1234 wrote:
So are we now stuck with Calderone and Bayless again?
Nope. Lowry.

The Raptors are close to acquiring Kyle Lowry in a trade agreement with the Rockets.

Houston will receive at least one first round pick, most likely in 2013. The Rockets had tried to acquire Toronto's 2012 pick while targeting either Andre Drummond or Austin Rivers.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... z1zm2cMsc3