Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Toemeesleather
Senior

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 am

Literal beacons of the "green" energy movement, giant wind turbines have been one of the renewable energy sources of choice for the US government, which has spent billions of taxpayer dollars subsidizing their construction and use across the country. But high maintenance costs, high rates of failure, and fluctuating weather conditions that affect energy production render wind turbines expensive and inefficient, which is why more than 14,000 of them have since been abandoned.

Before government subsidies for the giant metals were cut or eliminated in many areas, wind farms were an energy boom business. But in the post-tax subsidy era, the costs of maintaining and operating wind turbines far outweighs the minimal power they generate in many areas, which has left a patchwork of wind turbine graveyards in many of the most popular wind farming areas of the US.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034234_wind_ ... z1wMS9Vnzh
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 30, 2012 10:04 am

Toemeesleather wrote:
bluetick wrote:
sardis wrote:It's reality like this that causes tree huggers like tick to have an aneurysm...

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... soon_.html
Actually I'm a windmill hugger, sardis. Especially since the oldest son left AT&T for Barnhart-Crane, the wind turbine manufacturer..he just settled in Plattsburg, NY last week. He even managed to land his younger brother a summer job at a B-C wind farm in OK ( until he goes back to UT in the fall).

Green energy, baby..that's where the green is

Good luck, seriously, if wind weren't so politically correct it'd be dead, but it is slowing rusting away....Imagine some oil rig or other gas/diesel/oil facility was responsible for the death of so many eagles and hawks, it'd be crucified quicker than slick Willie could drop his pants.
Why does toe hate Flipper & Nemo so much?

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 am

I love blackened Tuna.

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by 10ac » Wed May 30, 2012 10:18 am

Seared ahi, hmm hmm.
Let 'er Blow!

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 10:25 am

On Aug. 13, ExxonMobil pleaded guilty in federal court to killing 85 birds that had come into contact with crude oil or other pollutants in uncovered tanks or waste-water facilities on its properties. The birds were protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which dates back to 1918. The company agreed to pay $600,000 in fines and fees.

ExxonMobil is hardly alone in running afoul of this law. Over the past two decades, federal officials have brought hundreds of similar cases against energy companies. In July, for example, the Oregon-based electric utility PacifiCorp paid $1.4 million in fines and restitution for killing 232 eagles in Wyoming over the past two years. The birds were electrocuted by poorly-designed power lines.

Yet there is one group of energy producers that are not being prosecuted for killing birds: wind-power companies. And wind-powered turbines are killing a vast number of birds every year.

A July 2008 study of the wind farm at Altamont Pass, Calif., estimated that its turbines kill an average of 80 golden eagles per year. The study, funded by the Alameda County Community Development Agency, also estimated that about 10,000 birds—nearly all protected by the migratory bird act—are being whacked every year at Altamont.

Altamont's turbines, located about 30 miles east of Oakland, Calif., kill more than 100 times as many birds as Exxon's tanks, and they do so every year. But the Altamont Pass wind farm does not face the same threat of prosecution, even though the bird kills at Altamont have been repeatedly documented by biologists since the mid-1990s.

Michael Fry of the American Bird Conservancy estimates that U.S. wind turbines kill between 75,000 and 275,000 birds per year. Yet the Justice Department is not bringing cases against wind companies.

"Somebody has given the wind industry a get-out-of-jail-free card," Mr. Fry told me. "If there were even one prosecution," he added, the wind industry would be forced to take the issue seriously.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Wed May 30, 2012 10:34 am

Professor Tiger wrote:
Take a break, prof. Let somebody else be the glib a-hole for awhile.
Heh. Fair enough. On Sunday I'm flying to Ireland for a week, and then sailing back on the Queen Mary 2.

You won't have Professor Tiger to kick around for two whole weeks.
That's awesome. I don't know a better time to go than to celebrate the 100th year of the Ulster Convenant...Lucky dog.

Ulster 1912 - Rudyard Kipling

"The dark eleventh hour
Draws on and sees us sold
To every evil power
We fought against of old -
Rebellion, rapine, hate,
Oppression, wrong and greed
Are loosed to rule our fate
By England's art and deed.

The faith in which we stand,
The laws we made and guard,
Our honour, lives, and land
Are given for reward
To murder done by night
To treason taught by day,
To folly, sloth, and spite,
And we are thrust away.

The blood our fathers spilt,
Our love, our toils, our pains
Are counted us for guilt
And only bind our chains -
Before an Empire's eyes
The traitor claims his price.
What need of further lies?
We are the sacrifice.

We know the war prepared
On ever peaceful home
We know the hells prepared
For such as serve not Rome
The terror, threats, and bread
In market, hearth, and field -
We know, when all is said,
We perish if we yield.

Believe we dare not boast,
Believe we dare not fear:
We stand to pay the cost
In all that men hold dear.
What answer from the North?
One Law, One Land, One Throne!
If England drives us forth
We shall not fall alone."

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 30, 2012 11:00 am

Toemeesleather wrote:Literal beacons of the "green" energy movement, giant wind turbines have been one of the renewable energy sources of choice for the US government, which has spent billions of taxpayer dollars subsidizing their construction and use across the country. But high maintenance costs, high rates of failure, and fluctuating weather conditions that affect energy production render wind turbines expensive and inefficient, which is why more than 14,000 of them have since been abandoned.

Before government subsidies for the giant metals were cut or eliminated in many areas, wind farms were an energy boom business. But in the post-tax subsidy era, the costs of maintaining and operating wind turbines far outweighs the minimal power they generate in many areas, which has left a patchwork of wind turbine graveyards in many of the most popular wind farming areas of the US.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034234_wind_ ... z1wMS9Vnzh
lol Indeed...Naturalnews.com. Check out the upper right of that webpage, toe - you too can be a writer for naturalnews. Fill out a few forms, send them an entry fee, and you could be published and/or win 1000 bucks.

Be a 'citizen journalist' and put a dent in the 9:1 imbalance!
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 11:44 am

Just wow....I know in your feeble mind, that makes all untrue....just wow.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 11:58 am

Tick,
Instead of sticking your fingers in your ears and stomping your feet, post a credible website that says no birds of prey have been killed by wind turbines....or one that states no turbines have been abandoned since the loss of subsidies...

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 12:01 pm

...or better yet, give us an update on the Dow.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Odd that I announce my kid goes to work for a wind energy corporation and you post all these dubious articles about abandoned wind farms and dead birds. I mean...it's not like I was thrilled that he relocated to the Canadian border, but now you're trying to beat me down with all this anti-wind business. When you're not throwing my Vols troubles in my face, that is.

If I didn't know better, toe, I'd almost think you don't love me anymore.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm

anti-wind business...

Soooo, again I have failed to give you pause as to your confidence in biased liberal media, I have failed(but I hope Jr is successful)....I do hope Tick jr's ability to formulate logic is better than his dad's though.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Ok, I'll stop picking on Tick's pride and joy....

Within the span of less than a decade, the Sierra Club has flip-flopped 180 degrees on natural gas...hmmmm. Pro-green or anti-capitalist/anti-jobs, you decide.

So why is the Sierra Club suddenly portraying natural gas as a villain? The answer surely is the industry's drilling success. The greens were happy to support natural gas as a "bridge fuel to the 21st century" when it cost $8 or more per million BTUs and seemed to be in limited domestic supply.

But now that the hydraulic fracturing and shale revolution has sent gas prices down to $2.50, the lobby fears natural gas will come to dominate U.S. energy production. At that price, the Sierra Club's Valhalla of wind, solar and biofuel power may never be competitive. So the green left has decided it must do everything it can to reduce the supply of gas and keep its price as high as possible.

The losers if this effort succeeds would be the millions of Americans who are benefiting from the shale boom. Some 600,000 jobs in the natural gas industry could be vulnerable, according to an analysis by the consulting firm IHS Global Insight. That's almost eight times more jobs than are employed by the wind industry.

But the losers would also include electricity consumers paying lower prices at home; the steel workers in Youngstown, Ohio who have been rehired to make pipe for gas drillers in the Marcellus Shale; and the thousands of high-paying jobs in chemicals, fertilizer and other manufacturing that is returning to the U.S. because natural gas prices are so much lower.

The Sierra Club campaign underscores that the modern green agenda is about far more than clean air and water and protecting wildlife. The real goal is to ban all fossil fuels—regardless of economic cost. It's hard to imagine a campaign that poses a greater threat to the U.S. economy, energy security and American health

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Oil and gas lobbys spend 200 million a year, whereas the Sierra Club held a car wash and bake sale and raised 420 bucks.

Logically speaking, you'd have to think the SC is swinging a very short stick and is probably not a grave threat to the U.S. economy.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Sierra Club, the largest environmental advocacy group in the United States, took $26 million in donations from the natural gas industry from 2007 to 2010, Time Magazine reported yesterday.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 30, 2012 6:12 pm

Total lobbying expenditure for 2011: $520,000
Total lobbying expenditure for 2012 (as of 4/30): $100,000 All lobbying expenditures on this page come from the Senate Office of Public Records.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Thu May 31, 2012 8:05 am

Artur Davis, one of President Obama’s earliest supporters and a former co-chairman for his presidential campaign, announced Tuesday that he was leaving the Democratic Party for good.

In a post published Tuesday on his website, Davis was vague about his future political endeavors, but declared: “If I were to run, it would be as a Republican. And I am in the process of changing my voter registration from Alabama to Virginia, a development which likely does represent a closing of one chapter and perhaps the opening of another.”

Davis, who represented Alabama’s 7th Congressional District from 2003 to 2011, was notably the first member of Congress outside of Illinois to endorse then-Sen. Obama’s 2008 presidential bid. And it was Davis who seconded the official nomination of Obama at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.

Along with making hints at the future, Davis reflected on his experiences as a Democrat, and condemned the path he believes the party is taking.

Renouncing the party “is no light decision on my part,” he wrote. “Cutting ties with an Alabama Democratic Party that has weakened and lost faith with more and more Alabamians every year is one thing; leaving a national party that has been the home for my political values for two decades is quite another.”

But “wearing a Democratic label no longer matches what I know about my country and its possibilities,” he said.

“On the specifics, I have regularly criticized an agenda that would punish businesses and job creators with more taxes just as they are trying to thrive again,” he said. “I have taken issue with an administration that has lapsed into a bloc by bloc appeal to group grievances when the country is already too fractured: frankly, the symbolism of Barack Obama winning has not given us the substance of a united country"

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu May 31, 2012 11:25 am

x
Last edited by Professor Tiger on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

AlabamAlum
Legend
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by AlabamAlum » Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 pm

I know Artur. Good guy
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
— Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I still miss Coach Bryant.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by aTm » Thu May 31, 2012 1:12 pm

Strike one.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.