Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Hacksaw » Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 pm

It is funny, isn't it?

I think Obama is a bad President. I thought Bush was a bad President, too. But that wasn't enough for the haters, who despised Bush so much that they built him up in their own minds as some kind of sub-human monster. It wasn't enough that I criticized him (which I did, often). If I ever said anything about him that wasn't critical, I was attacked by the Bush-haters for being a "ring-kisser" or a brain-washed lemming. I've had positive things to say about Obama from time-to-time, too. But that doesn't matter. Because I don't love him, so I am the enemy.

I didn't hate Bush and I don't hate Obama. I just don't think that either one of them has any business being President.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 am

Op Ed wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:I wish that President Clinton had taken us to war in Afghanistan in 1998 to wag the dog away from Monica. Then maybe 9-11 would have been avoided.

I don't give a FUCK if history would have taught us that President Clinton would have wound up being the worst President in history as a result of his un-provoked attack on Afghanistan. Ed when you and I are DEAD, and we stand in judgement before God, and he levels with us what was avoided by that letcherous pervert invading that pile of rocks in Asia inhabitted by uncivilized animals who grow opium and incest their own daughters, it will be proven THEN (when it is truly important) how wrong you and I were about Bill Clinton and how RIGHT he was.

We don't KNOW what McCain would have done with Syria if he was President. Lets assume he invades Syria for whatever reason. Maybe (just maybe) an invasion of Syria would have prevented some other dreadful event that now awaits us since Obama did NOT invade. As a Christian, I know that God gives us Free Will. He does not mess with that. We make of this world as we wish. I know that Islam is twisted and evil. I know the Syrian government is twisted and evil. I know that my government (regardless of which political party's man/woman sits in the White House) knows WAY MORE than you or I do about what is going on in the Middle East. We don't have to trust them Ed (I don't), but we do have to acknowledge that (come what may) the primary job of the Federal government it to protect us.

That's it. That is their first goal, security. NOT health care. NOT education. NOT welfare. NOT housing. NOT civil service jobs. And NOT their re-election. Security.

And McCain is a better man than President Obama on security. I'm sorry if you can't see that. And I don't like McCain (even though he is my Senator.) The man had to have his Admiral father pull strings to get him into Annapolis. No way was he bright enough to get in on his own merit, I don't buy it.
So you wish that Clinton would have gotten us into an unprovoked war...

You call people who are different "uncivilized animals"...

Fuck the rest of your reply, you know jack shit.

You need to fear the karma you are creating around yourself.
Ed,

The Afghan people routinely incest their own children. That behavior is tolerated in that country.

Yes, they are uncivilized animals. Ask a US Marine or Army Ranger who has returned from a deployment there why they were instructed as to keep a watchful and protective eye on the Afghan children. Their response to you might chill your bones.

Before I start fearing my own karma, YOU need to start doing research about the world in which you and I live.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 am

Hacksaw wrote: And no Republican has ever added $5 trillion to the national debt in one term. That's historically bad. That, alone, is almost enough to vault Obama to the status of Worst POTUS EVER.
Historically speaking, I think you'd have to go back to FDR to find a situation where a new president got handed such an economic shit sandwich the likes of two wars and a super-recession.

Oprama could have taken the hard-right options and not bailed out WS and the auto industry and forego the stimulus package route. He could have just let the whole shebang go over the cliff...and wait to see what pieces were left to work with after the Great Depression of '09-'??.

Personally, I'm glad he picked the other poison. I'm thinking everyone else here does to...albeit deep down for some.

Are you better off now than you were 3 1/2 years ago? I am.

Would I still be better off if McCain had won? I absolutely think so - McCain would have done TARP II same as oprama, and almost certainly would have added trillions to the debt to keep our institutions afloat and to keep unemployment from going to depression levels.
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 am

Moving forward...we've got to deal with that poisonous load of debt. Whoever has the best plan for paring down the debt while moving the economy forward should be rewarded with the win come November.

It'd be great, if for ONE election, everyone would can the social-issue folderol and stick to one theme. It's the stupid economy.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Wed May 09, 2012 11:28 am

lol @ "super recession"

lol @ it would have been worse

lol @ STILL blaming the last guy after almost 4 years...

Did that whole $5 trillion go to the bailouts? Hmm? No. That's a cop-out. It's excuse-making. Like blaming the last guy, it's not taking responsibility. It's not what a leader does. It's not Presidential. But it's clearly all Obama and his supporters have.

And saying we had to spend the money would be a lot more compelling argument if the country wasn't arguably worse-off than we were $5 trillion ago.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

bluetick wrote:Moving forward...we've got to deal with that poisonous load of debt. Whoever has the best plan for paring down the debt while moving the economy forward should be rewarded with the win come November.

It'd be great, if for ONE election, everyone would can the social-issue folderol and stick to one theme. It's the stupid economy.
Agreed. But it won't happen -- especially since Obama cannot possibly run on the economy.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Looking forward to watching Hack cry like a bitch for the next 4 years. It's funny.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed May 09, 2012 12:43 pm

I'll be fine. A lot of other Americans won't be so lucky. But I'm sure knowing that the guy in the White House has a "d" next to his name will give them some sort of solace. We must all suffer for Dear Leader.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
bluetick wrote:Moving forward...we've got to deal with that poisonous load of debt. Whoever has the best plan for paring down the debt while moving the economy forward should be rewarded with the win come November.

Agreed. But it won't happen -- especially since Obama cannot possibly run on the economy.

And who better than the sitting prez could set the economic tone of the election....but sadly and predictably he sets an anti-congress/supreme court/wall street/cheap energy/millionaires and billionaires agenda to pit one group against another.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Hacksaw
Senior

Post by Hacksaw » Wed May 09, 2012 12:50 pm

When you consider how poor Obama's record is as POTUS, I'd be surprised if this wasn't the ugliest presidential campaign in history. He's got nothing positive to run on. So he's going to have to slander and smear, if he is to have any chance.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Wed May 09, 2012 12:58 pm

rat seems to have morphed into talent

or vice versa

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 09, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm betting Hack is better off today than he was 3 1/2 years ago.

doubting the dubya-gone/oprama-on situation pervades his life beyond simple mental anguish

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Governor Scott Walker also won his primary, defeating Arthur Kohl-Riggs, one of the capitol's die-hard protesters. Even though Walker's victory was a foregone conclusion, the Governor received nearly 627,000 votes. That's just 38,000 fewer than Barrett, Falk, Vinehout and La Follette. They received a total of 665,000 votes even though they had a competitive primary.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 09, 2012 2:13 pm

And toe too.

Better off today than the start of '09. I just knows it.

making more money, investments for retirement swelling

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Wed May 09, 2012 2:17 pm

It's cute how everyone thinks the POTUS or anyone on a national level will do anything for the "everyday man". Keep wasting your time and breath. New boss, same as old boss.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed May 09, 2012 2:29 pm

Better off today than the start of '09

Yes I am, but what's yer point? I was not over leveraged w/debt and was consequently in the perfect position to buy low.

If Obammer wants to use me as an example in his campaign, bring it.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Toemeesleather wrote:Better off today than the start of '09

Yes I am, but what's yer point? I was not over leveraged w/debt and was consequently in the perfect position to buy low.

If Obammer wants to use me as an example in his campaign, bring it.
lol

4 More Yearzzz!!!!!111111!!!!!!!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Wed May 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Hacksaw wrote:
lol @ "super recession"
Maybe you slept in those years. You oughta buy the book.

Officially over in 2009, the Great Recession is now generally acknowledged to be the most devastating global economic crisis since the Great Depression. As a result of the crisis, the United States lost more than 7.5 million jobs, and the unemployment rate doubled - peaking at more than 10 percent. The collapse of the housing market and subsequent equity market fluctuations delivered a one-two punch that destroyed trillions of dollars in personal wealth and made many Americans far less financially secure. Still reeling from these early shocks, the U.S. economy will undoubtedly take years to recover. Less clear, however, are the social effects of such economic hardship on a U.S. population accustomed to long periods of prosperity. How are Americans responding to these hard times? The Great Recession is the first authoritative assessment of how the aftershocks of the recession are affecting individuals and families, jobs, earnings and poverty, political and social attitudes, lifestyle and consumption practices, and charitable giving.

https://www.russellsage.org/publication ... -recession

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed May 09, 2012 6:18 pm

Historically speaking, I think you'd have to go back to FDR to find a situation where a new president got handed such an economic shit sandwich the likes of two wars and a super-recession.
Totally agree. A lot of Republicans don't seem to realize that this recession happened after the Republicans controlled the White House for the previous 8 years, the Senate for the previous 8 years, and the House for 6 of the previous 8 years. It's as if the R's had nothing to do with the economic meltdown we're still reeling from. To them, it's all Barney Frank's fault.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm

this is zero-sum and only the moderates count. fuck the fringes,
We've all heard this argument before. It goes like this: "We Republicans have to nominate a moderate. Only a moderate will appeal to moderates, and moderate voters are key to winning the general election. If we nominate a real conservative, that will drive away moderate voters and we'll never win in November."

On the surface, that argument sounds plausible. Unfortunately, it has been tried three times in recent memory. The R's nominated three moderates - McCain (back then they called it being a "maverick"), Dole and Bush Sr (back then they called it "kindler and gentler" conservatism). How did that "only the moderates count" theory work for them?

Even W ran as a "moderate" in 2000. (Back then they called it "compassionate conservatism.") He lost the popular vote. In 2004 he was a lot less compassionate and a lot more of a "kick Ay-rab ass conservative" He won handily.

By contrast, Reagan was neither "maverick" nor "kinder and gentler" nor "compassionate conservative" but he sure blew out Dukakis.

I can't think of a single case where a moderate R nominee ever won. We'll see if Willard is the first.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden