Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

Hacksaw
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by Hacksaw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 pm

[youtube]t4-AKcH3eC8[/youtube]
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 pm

If the environmentalist wacko's will ever let us fully drill here in North America, and we don't need Middle East for oil anymore, they will be deprived of Western trillions and civilizing influence, and will return to their natural state of 7th century theocratic barbarism, and they will slaughter each other with unparallelled gusto.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

billy bob bocephus
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida State
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by billy bob bocephus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 pm

<voice=sgt.shultz>I see nuth'in, I hear nuth'in!</voice>

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Hacksaw wrote:Bush would get into the middle of a sentence and then you would get the sense that he was listening to the words coming out of his mouth, instead of concentrating on putting them together in the right order. He just wasn't a good public speaker.

But almost anyone who spends so much of their life in the public eye is going to flub some things from time to time. It's understandable. That's why I think it was ridiculous how much emphasis the 9:1 media put on Bush's gaffes. And it's even more ridiculous when you see how they go out of their way to ignore Obama's.
BAHAHAHAHA! Hack is funny.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm

[youtube]GnDyXrSwJnA[/youtube]
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:02 pm

BRAVO!

Young people today have been screwed over by Obama more than anyone else. They will be stuck paying the staggering debt run up by Obama, long after all us baby Boomers are dead and gone. Young people should be marching on the White House with pikes and torches after what Obama and the Democrats did to them.

My nephew summed it up this way. He says that he and his generation simply won't pay it. When the profligate Baby Boomers are in nursing homes, and the GENX'ers take over the government, they will tax social security at 100%, confiscate IRA and 401K funds, tell the Chinese to fornicate themselves with their t-bills, whatever it takes. But they will... not... devote half their take home pay for the rest of their lives for all this crap.
Last edited by Professor Tiger on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm

You are funny. Can your nephew spell cat?

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:05 pm

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will041412.php3
George Will wrote:From his office window, Thomas W. Horton, in his fifth month as CEO of American Airlines, can see in the distance the Manhattan-size footprint of Dallas-Fort Worth airport, where American has 85 percent market share; it also has 68 percent in Miami, gateway to South America’s booming market. A few miles from here, however, sits one of the reasons why his company nevertheless entered bankruptcy recently — the corporate headquarters of Southwest Airlines.

Southwest, the most successful of the “low-cost” carriers that proliferated after the 1978 deregulation of the industry, has been profitable for 39 consecutive years, while the rest of the industry was losing $60 billion between deregulation and 2009. Southwest, JetBlue and the others have 30 percent of the domestic market, up from 10 percent in 1999. The “two-tier” airline industry is, however, becoming a thing of the past. All carriers are going to have low costs because of what Horton calls “fear-based discipline,” a.k.a. competition.

In the last three decades, there have been 192 airline bankruptcies. Not coincidentally, fares, adjusted for inflation, are 18 percent lower than in 2000. Forty years ago, a majority of Americans had never taken an airplane trip. Now everyone is more free than ever to move about the country, air travel having been democratized by liberating it from government.

In 1938, the Civil Aeronautics Act codified a government-managed cartel. Reason magazine’s Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch report that, 34 years later, United’s percentage of market share had gone from 22.9 to 22, Eastern’s from 14.9 to 11.6 and TWA’s from 15.1 to 11.9. Why this bureaucrat’s dream of near-stasis? Because between 1950 and 1974, the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) received 79 applications for startup airlines and rejected them all, believing that if even one passenger would be taken from an existing carrier, competition would be excessive.
The only good thing to come out of the Carter Administration was airline de-regulation. Today, could you imagine President Obama firing ALL of CAB and eliminating all those civil servants? I couldn't imagine him doing that.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:My nephew summed it up this way. He says that he and his generation simply won't pay it. When the profligate Baby Boomers are in nursing homes, and the GENX'ers take over the government, they will tax social security at 100%, confiscate IRA and 401K funds, tell the Chinese to fornicate themselves with their t-bills, whatever it takes. But they will... not... devote half their take home pay for the rest of their lives for all this crap.
guess i should cash out all my US savings bonds right now....

while we are at it Tiger, point me to one poll (any poll anywhere) that stipulates that Gen-Xers would be willing to vote for a more austerity driven Romney over a tax-and-borrow-and-spend Obama.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Cornell

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:04 pm

While making air travel more affordable, deregulation has also stripped away most pleasures and comfort from flying. Overbooked flights, luggage costing extra, and passengers fighting over who can cram the largest piece of Samsonite into the overhead bin. No pilot wings for the kids and half a can of Coke for the adults. You want a meal? Gonna have to fly to at least London to get one.

Southwest really is a miracle company. I don't know how they keep turning a profit. Even JetBlue has started turning south thanks to a number of scandals in recent years (excessive waits on the tarmac, flight attendants and pilot having nervous breakdowns)

10ac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by 10ac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeah, trapped in a smoke filled metal tube for a couple of hours was a lot more glamorous
Let 'er Blow!

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Why is DSL still alive?

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't think deregulation had anything to do with the smoking ban on flights

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Oh and get out rat you stink

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:38 pm

while we are at it Tiger, point me to one poll (any poll anywhere) that stipulates that Gen-Xers would be willing to vote for a more austerity driven Romney over a tax-and-borrow-and-spend Obama.
Okay. Here ya go. Since you obviously haven't noticed the blindingly obvious, Ron Paul has been dominating the youth vote throughout the primaries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenrich ... d=rss_home

http://reason.com/poll/2012/01/13/ron-p ... ational-po

And I'm not sure you have noticed, but Ron Paul, who has attracted armies of young voters, believes in RADICALLY shrinking the size, power and expense of the federal government. He is Mr. Austerity on steroids.

And what makes you think a President Romney would be austerity driven? For all we know, he might return to his Massachusetts liberal default setting and tax-borrow-spend more than Obama. Sure he SAYS he's a fiscal conservative, now, but he has told a lot of lies to voters get elected in the past. He is probably lying to voters to get elected now.

ROMNEY WAS NEVER PRO-CHOICE! NEVER!

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 pm

More:
In the latest Gallup results broken down by age of respondents, Paul does disproportionately well with voters aged 18-34, being the preferred choice of 20 percent of that demographic nationally
http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/19/why-i ... z1sRzgGSCZ
Ron Paul won young voters ages 17-29 with 62 percent and 60 percent among ages 30-44.
http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer. ... nia/413916
Once again, Ron Paul proved his appeal to, by definition, an incredibly important age group in the future: those under 30 (yeah, I know, they get older. But so does the < 18 crowd). Considering the break down of the election in 2008, gaining support from a younger crowd would be a huge deal for the Republican party. Note that Ron Paul has won this portion of the vote in every state that has voted so far – and consider that two of those states were primaries, not caucuses.
http://dqydj.net/parsing-the-south-caro ... rengthens/

I could list at least a dozen more polls that show young voters willing to vote for Paul, who is an extremely austerity driven candidate. But you get the picture. Is there any other way I can help you?

innocentbystander
All-American

Post by innocentbystander » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:32 am

Professor Tiger wrote:
More:
In the latest Gallup results broken down by age of respondents, Paul does disproportionately well with voters aged 18-34, being the preferred choice of 20 percent of that demographic nationally
http://dailycaller.com/2011/12/19/why-i ... z1sRzgGSCZ
Ron Paul won young voters ages 17-29 with 62 percent and 60 percent among ages 30-44.
http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer. ... nia/413916
Once again, Ron Paul proved his appeal to, by definition, an incredibly important age group in the future: those under 30 (yeah, I know, they get older. But so does the < 18 crowd). Considering the break down of the election in 2008, gaining support from a younger crowd would be a huge deal for the Republican party. Note that Ron Paul has won this portion of the vote in every state that has voted so far – and consider that two of those states were primaries, not caucuses.
http://dqydj.net/parsing-the-south-caro ... rengthens/

I could list at least a dozen more polls that show young voters willing to vote for Paul, who is an extremely austerity driven candidate. But you get the picture. Is there any other way I can help you?
Yeah, you can answer my original question regarding the likelyhood of Gen-Xers voting for Romney instead of Obama. I don't care about the links for Gen-Xers voting for someone who is not running for President (Ron Paul.)

But I'm not surprised. You are functionally incapable of admitting you were wrong about SSI. So I didn't figure you'd be able to follow simple instructions, "professor."

It's me Karen
Junior
College Hoops Affiliation: Michigan
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by It's me Karen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 am

I get a kick out of watching people try to stuff their luggage in the overhead bin. Tightwads! Just check the damn thing and pay.

Dr. Strangelove
Senior

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 am

South Carolinians will work for grits and a can of Skoal. Hard to beat those labor costs