Dave23
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Memphis
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Ostensibly Hoops

Post by Dave23 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 am

Do I really need to explain WWW?

Really?
The older I get the more I pretty much hate every cocksucker that is making decisions in this world and all of the idiots that root for political parties like sports teams. — aTm

Saint
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Saint » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:38 am

go ahead and do it again. aTm will find us a new board to post at.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:12 am

Shaun May was out of shape huge with a shooters touch. He was slow, but in the college game you don't necessarily need the speed to succeed. NBA is a different story. You need speed to succeed in today's NBA.

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 am

maybe marty .......I mean wiz is right and thats why all the calipari to the knicks talk is heating up. Caliapari taking the Pete Carrol way out. and any program in their right mind dioesn't have an sports agent sitting behind the bench and joining in on celebrating a championship. he;ll kentucky put a bullseye on themselves if anything else by being that brazen about it on the biggest night of college basketball

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State

Post by crashcourse » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:22 am

I really doubt caliapari leaves btw

bottom line though is until they start paying these kids something for all the income they generate to the ncaa/the athletic departments etc you are gonna have problems. pay the kids something that play for income generating college sports and forget the one and done and let the stud players graduate from hs to the pros. I know its an nba rule but if you can join the army and fight for our country you can vote but you can't play basketball for the nba money seems rather ludicrous

eCat
Mr. Pissant
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by eCat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 am

Dave23 wrote:Do I really need to explain WWW?

Really?

you didn't feel the need to explain when he was at Memphis doing his thing
I like the stinky pinky but only up to the first knuckle, I do not want a GD thumb up there--I've told her multiple times and I always catch her when she tries to pull a fast one---it's my butthole for Chrissakes I'm gonna know--so cut out the BS.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 am

crashcourse wrote:I really doubt caliapari leaves btw

bottom line though is until they start paying these kids something for all the income they generate to the ncaa/the athletic departments etc you are gonna have problems. pay the kids something that play for income generating college sports and forget the one and done and let the stud players graduate from hs to the pros. I know its an nba rule but if you can join the army and fight for our country you can vote but you can't play basketball for the nba money seems rather ludicrous
Fuck that. College is for an education. They get an entire free ride, don't have to pay for shit, and they act like it is some big issue for them to go to school for at least a year to then get their big payday. Fuck that noise. And the Army and Right To Vote comparison makes no sense. You choose whether you want to go into the Army or Vote. The NBA/NFL asks you to come play for them. Big damn difference.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

BigRedMan
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Indiana

Post by BigRedMan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 am

Coach Cal = Pete Bell without the need to fess up.
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova

Post by sardis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 am

Problem is Title IX will make schools pay women's field hockey players the same amount as their men's basketball stars. It will make it quite difficult for most schools to compete with the ultra ultra elite of colleges. There will even be BCS colleges who will struggle financially to provide a stipend to everyone.

Cats rule
Sophomore
College Hoops Affiliation: Kentucky

Post by Cats rule » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

Gator by God's Grace wrote:wasnt Shun May the kid that just bowled over set defenders in college with impunity, and that not only wasnt called for his blatant charging violations, but was instead usually sent to the free throw line to boot?
heh...and ironically, he was followed up w/ the opposite--shawn may inverted, tyler hansbrough: whereas s.m. bowled defenders over while never being called for the charge, t.h. made his mark by flopping at the first hint of contact to draw cheap charges

i bet that chafed the asses of more than a few acc coaches

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm

I couldn't agree more. The NFL does it. MLB too to an extent (although they allow HS seniors to be drafted but if you don't sign you wait 3 years). I like using the D-League as a minor league too.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... years-ncaa

Bklyn
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Howard

Post by Bklyn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:13 pm

The funny thing is, most of the guys who declared for the draft as HS seniors turned out to be All-Stars...by a WIIIIIIIDE margin over guys who played at least 2 years in college.

Waiting 3 years is silly, IMO. It only is good for owners in reducing their Kwame Brown risk. It doesn't help the kids who actually do declare.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:54 pm

It doesnt have much to do with the NBA's decision making, but the thing I am concerned about is that teams being able to turn over their roster faster is leading to fewer schools consolidating pro talent. We are already seeing schools, notably Texas and Kentucky, turning over rosters extremely rapidly, and of course through those schools recruiting philosophies they are replacing pro talent with pro talent. Obviously if a scholarship offer means that spot is used up for 3 years, that talent has to spread out because next year's recruit can't go to a team thats already got a full roster and star players who are going to be on the court before they will.
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:11 pm

He's broke but there are always breezies available...

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/dennis- ... iew-audio/
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

los
Recruit
College Hoops Affiliation: North Carolina

Post by los » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:48 pm

McAdoo is returning for his sophmore season.

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Bklyn wrote:The funny thing is, most of the guys who declared for the draft as HS seniors turned out to be All-Stars...by a WIIIIIIIDE margin over guys who played at least 2 years in college.

Waiting 3 years is silly, IMO. It only is good for owners in reducing their Kwame Brown risk. It doesn't help the kids who actually do declare.
That's a change from what I read was the case some 10 years ago. The majority were busts who were either never drafted or were drafted in the second round and never made on a team.
My Dad is my hero still.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida

Post by Jungle Rat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Let them go out of high school like baseball does just allow them to go to college if they don't like where they are picked. (like baseball) But, if they don't sign they can't be drafted again until after their junior year.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:26 pm

I agree
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Bklyn
All-American

Post by Bklyn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Owlman wrote:That's a change from what I read was the case some 10 years ago. The majority were busts who were either never drafted or were drafted in the second round and never made on a team.
Well, "never drafted" is a harder metric. See, my cousin Earl could declare for the draft as a HS senior and he wouldn't get drafted. There are many players who were never going D1, a JuCo or, let alone, a Community College so they declared. There was one dude I saw on an ESPN Outside the Lines who was a decent HS player, never made Street and Smiths or McDonalds, but ranked in his state and hooped AAU. He had a horrible ACT, never got any nibbles for any major schools and decided to retain an agent and declare. Everyone told him not to. He didn't get drafted and never was. I can't count those dudes as a part of this population.

This is what Wiki has on HS NBA players drafted (not foreign):
  • Draft Round Pick Player Pos. Nationality Draft team High school (city) Ref.
    1962 4 29 Harding, ReggieReggie Harding C United States Detroit Pistons Detroit Eastern High School (Detroit, Michigan)1[›] [25]
    1975 1 5 Dawkins, DarrylDarryl Dawkins C United States Philadelphia 76ers Maynard Evans High School (Orlando, Florida) [26]
    1975 2 19 Willoughby, BillBill Willoughby F/C United States Atlanta Hawks Dwight Morrow High School (Englewood, New Jersey) [27]
    1995 1 5 Garnett, KevinKevin Garnett* F United States Minnesota Timberwolves Farragut Career Academy (Chicago, Illinois) [28]
    1996 1 13 Bryant, KobeKobe Bryant* G United States Charlotte Hornets Lower Merion High School (Ardmore, Pennsylvania) [29]
    1996 1 17 O'Neal, JermaineJermaine O'Neal* F/C United States Portland Trail Blazers Eau Claire High School (Columbia, South Carolina) [30]
    1997 1 9 McGrady, TracyTracy McGrady* F United States Toronto Raptors Mount Zion Christian Academy (Durham, North Carolina) [31]
    1998 1 25 Harrington, AlAl Harrington F United States Indiana Pacers St. Patrick High School (Elizabeth, New Jersey) [32]
    1998 2 32 Lewis, RashardRashard Lewis+ F United States Seattle SuperSonics Alief Elsik High School (Houston, Texas) [33]
    1998 2 40 Young, KorleoneKorleone Young F United States Detroit Pistons Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Virginia) [34]
    1999 1 5 Bender, JonathanJonathan Bender F United States Toronto Raptors Picayune Memorial High School (Picayune, Mississippi) [35]
    1999 1 25 Smith, LeonLeon Smith C United States Dallas Mavericks Martin Luther King High School (Chicago, Illinois) [36]
    2000 1 3 Miles, DariusDarius Miles F United States Los Angeles Clippers East St. Louis High School (East St. Louis, Illinois) [37]
    2000 1 23 Stevenson, DeShawnDeShawn Stevenson G United States Utah Jazz Washington Union High School (Fresno, California) [38]
    2001 1 1 Brown, KwameKwame Brown F United States Washington Wizards Glynn Academy (Brunswick, Georgia) [39]
    2001 1 2 Chandler, TysonTyson Chandler C United States Los Angeles Clippers Dominguez High School (Compton, California) [40]
    2001 1 4 Curry, EddyEddy Curry C United States Chicago Bulls Thornwood High School (South Holland, Illinois) [41]
    2001 1 8 Diop, DeSaganaDeSagana Diop C Senegal Cleveland Cavaliers Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Virginia) [42]
    2001 2 46 Cisse, OusmaneOusmane Cisse# F Mali Denver Nuggets St. Jude High School (Montgomery, Alabama) [43]
    2002 1 9 Stoudemire, Amar'eAmar'e Stoudemire* F/C United States Phoenix Suns Cypress Creek High School (Orlando, Florida) [44]
    2003 1 1 James, LeBronLeBron James* F United States Cleveland Cavaliers St. Vincent – St. Mary High School (Akron, Ohio) [45]
    2003 1 23 Outlaw, TravisTravis Outlaw F United States Portland Trail Blazers Starkville High School (Starkville, Mississippi) [46]
    2003 1 26 Ebi, NdudiNdudi Ebi F United Kingdom
    Nigeria Minnesota Timberwolves Westbury Christian School (Houston, Texas) [47]
    2003 1 27 Perkins, KendrickKendrick Perkins C United States Memphis Grizzlies Clifton J. Ozen High School (Beaumont, Texas) [48]
    2003 2 48 Lang, JamesJames Lang C United States New Orleans Hornets Central Park Christian High School (Birmingham, Alabama) [49]
    2004 1 1 Howard, DwightDwight Howard* F/C United States Orlando Magic Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy (Atlanta, Georgia) [50]
    2004 1 4 Livingston, ShaunShaun Livingston G United States Los Angeles Clippers Peoria High School (Peoria, Illinois) [51]
    2004 1 12 Swift, RobertRobert Swift C United States Seattle SuperSonics Bakersfield High School (Bakersfield, California) [52]
    2004 1 13 Telfair, SebastianSebastian Telfair G United States Portland Trail Blazers Abraham Lincoln High School (Brooklyn, New York) [53]
    2004 1 15 Jefferson, AlAl Jefferson F United States Boston Celtics Prentiss High School (Prentiss, Mississippi) [54]
    2004 1 17 Smith, JoshJosh Smith F United States Atlanta Hawks Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Virginia) [55]
    2004 1 18 Smith, J. R.J. R. Smith G United States New Orleans Hornets Saint Benedict's Preparatory School (Newark, New Jersey) [56]
    2004 1 19 Wright, DorellDorell Wright G/F United States Miami Heat South Kent Preparatory School (South Kent, Connecticut) [57][58]
    2005 1 6 Webster, MartellMartell Webster G/F United States Portland Trail Blazers Seattle Preparatory School (Seattle, Washington) [59]
    2005 1 10 Bynum, AndrewAndrew Bynum+ C United States Los Angeles Lakers St. Joseph High School (Metuchen, New Jersey) [60]
    2005 1 18 Green, GeraldGerald Green F United States Boston Celtics Gulf Shores Academy (Houston, Texas) [61]
    2005 2 34 Miles, C. J.C. J. Miles G United States Utah Jazz Skyline High School (Dallas, Texas) [62]
    2005 2 35 Sánchez, RickyRicky Sánchez# F Puerto Rico Portland Trail Blazers IMG Academy (Bradenton, Florida) [63]
    2005 2 40 Ellis, MontaMonta Ellis G United States Golden State Warriors Lanier High School (Jackson, Mississippi) [64]
    2005 2 45 Williams, LouisLouis Williams G United States Philadelphia 76ers South Gwinnett High School (Snellville, Georgia) [65]
    2005 2 49 Blatche, AndrayAndray Blatche F United States Washington Wizards South Kent Preparatory School (South Kent, Connecticut) [66]
    2005 2 56 Johnson, AmirAmir Johnson F United States Detroit Pistons Westchester High School (Los Angeles, California) [67]
It pasted horribly, but there were 42 guys drafted out of HS and

1. 10 All Stars (24%)
2. 29 Solid Careers (defined as 6 years or more collecting checks) (69%)
3. 7 All out Busts (and that includes Shaun Livingston who is still playing but injuries kept him out and fat ass Eddie Curry who still collects checks for nothing) (17%)
4. 4 Guys who never did anything, or barely played (9.5%)

So, 70% of all drafted HS players had/have fairly long NBA careers and a good portion of them have been All Stars. That's a kick-ass pct line and easily knocks out guys who spent years in college and got drafted and were sent packing on the quick.

T Dot O Dot
Senior

Post by T Dot O Dot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:54 pm

2 years out of highschool minimum before you go to the NBA

if your KG/Kobe type of talent and school's not your thing then go the Brandon Jennnings route & get paid in Europe
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?