Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by aTm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn

Post by Professor Tiger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Gentlemen, I come to this keyboard with a heavy heart.

Earl Scruggs has died.

America has lost a musical legend. I am officially in mourning.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Who's the dude with the hoodie? He makes me nervous. He's acting weird. Looks like he's on drugs or drunk or something. He just broke my nose and smashed my head in the ground a few times. He smelled like weed. I shot him. I had to.

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Post by sardis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 am

aTm wrote:Image
Is that Hootie with a hoodie?

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:48 am

heh
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 am

Gone but never forgotten:

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 am

Excerpts from We Are Not France Yet:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 15296.html
Maybe the United States dodged a bullet this week. Make that a deep-penetration bunker buster into the original idea of America. On Tuesday, the justices of the Supreme Court sounded, on balance, to be disposed against affirming the Obama health-care law's mandate.

It is not a certainty that Tuesday's discussion of the ObamaCare mandate means it will be overturned. It's still worth thinking about the implications if the court affirms the law's individual mandate. Should that happen in June, two things would follow: The Commerce Clause's authority would be unfettered. Big as that is, the implication of an unfettered Commerce Clause is larger: That will be the day the United States becomes France.

The Affordable Care Act is not merely a "law" that the Supreme Court argued over this week. It is a massive Rube Goldberg contraption. Its 2,700 pages include every pipe, whistle and valve that the nation's academic health-care economists and doctors have soldered together from infinite studies of hospital data. The new machine even has its own boiler-room crew, the 15 health-care academics of the Independent Payment Advisory Board, who will monitor and adjust the flow of medicine through the national health-care pipelines.

They say their magnificent machine will work for everyone in America only if everyone in America is inside of it. This was Solicitor General Donald Verrilli's argument before the Supreme Court on behalf of the law's mandate. This is what the Catholic hospitals discovered when the ACA's designers pulled the sheet off the new machine.

ObamaCare itself is a masterpiece of mandarin abstraction. Yet 67% of polled Americans believe this masterwork's mandate is unconstitutional. What are these people thinking?

In the closing pages of "The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution," Bernard Bailyn summarized the core concern about the Affordable Care Act's reach that is trying to find its voice today: "At the Philadelphia convention, with exquisite care and with delicate nuances, they devised a complex constitution that would generate the requisite power but would so distribute its flow and uses that no one body of men and no one institutional center would ever gain a monopoly of force or influence that would dominate the nation."

We shall see.

puterbac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by puterbac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:02 am

Professor Tiger wrote:CNN's Jeff Toobin thinks the individual mandate is toast.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#/vi ... -three.cnn

The MSNBC politburo was saying similar things last night. They were blaming the solicitor general for the debacle, not the tyrannical nature of the law itself, of course.

I think if SCOTUS strikes the individual mandate down, Obama the statist will be sad, but Obama the politician will be relieved. Obamacare is by far the most unpopular thing he has done as president. If SCOTUS throws it out, they are taking that big vulnerability off the table so it can't be used against him in the fall.

The other big winner if Obamacare is struck down would be Romney. We will all be spared the spectacle of watching him oppose Obamacare as the R nominee, which would be like watching Bill Clinton campaigning against adultery.
Ummm why couldn't it be used against him in the fall? It is his signature thing. Are people supposed to believe he would just drop it in a second term and not try and do something else even more egregious?

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 am

It'll be a plus for him. He's the only one out there trying to make health care affordable to evey American (not just illegals). He needs another term to make it happen. My God! Think of those poor college souls slutting away on their parents dime and haveing to provide their own birth control. And what about women's health issues? It's a bigger plus if it fails. He just needs a little more time.
Let 'er Blow!

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:43 am

puter - insurance doesn't technically cross state lines if you buy from someone in Iowa who has a TN insurance license. All states allow for non-residency licensing and the revenue that it brings.

puterbac wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:CNN's Jeff Toobin thinks the individual mandate is toast.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t1#/vi ... -three.cnn

The MSNBC politburo was saying similar things last night. They were blaming the solicitor general for the debacle, not the tyrannical nature of the law itself, of course.

I think if SCOTUS strikes the individual mandate down, Obama the statist will be sad, but Obama the politician will be relieved. Obamacare is by far the most unpopular thing he has done as president. If SCOTUS throws it out, they are taking that big vulnerability off the table so it can't be used against him in the fall.

The other big winner if Obamacare is struck down would be Romney. We will all be spared the spectacle of watching him oppose Obamacare as the R nominee, which would be like watching Bill Clinton campaigning against adultery.
Ummm why couldn't it be used against him in the fall? It is his signature thing. Are people supposed to believe he would just drop it in a second term and not try and do something else even more egregious?

The Clinton's got beat back on univerasal healthcare (by Harry and Louise!) yet still got reelected in '96.

The people who support oprama now aren't going to change regardless what the SCOTUS rules, and neither will it effect the people who oppose him. Independants may credit him for fighting the good fight, or they may see it as his big monkeyf*ck. Surely they've got polls lined up for that sort of thing already..
"OMG, this is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I AM FUCKED!"

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:21 pm

There are some things too precious to be left to raw capitalism. Our national defense is the most natural example. Personally - I think our nation's healthcare is in the same ballpark.

One person laid low by the inequities of our healthcare delivery system is one too many. Unfortunatly it happens to millions. I've dealt with scores of people ruined financially due to health issues....or had their health ruined by financial issues. It ain't right...and it shouldn't happen here.

But by all means...party hard when obamacare gets shot down. And keep up the prayers, or keep stroking the rabbit's foot, or whatever you have to do to keep your family on the correct side of your PPO's profit margin.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Letting the government take over isn't the answer. And that's what is going on here. Obama has said that is his eventual goal. What he's done to this point has just been an incremental step towards his ultimate goal.

So, yes, I will celebrate his failure.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

crashcourse
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Kansas State
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by crashcourse » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Jungle Rat wrote:Who's the dude with the hoodie? He makes me nervous. He's acting weird. Looks like he's on drugs or drunk or something. He just broke my nose and smashed my head in the ground a few times. He smelled like weed. I shot him. I had to.
stand your ground doesn't mean stalk your prey

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama

Post by GBJs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Hacksaw wrote:USS Enterprise on her last deployment. Her decommisioning will truly be the end of an era. In an age where nuclear power is still a controversial subject, "Big E" sails into history after a half-century traversing the globe on nuclear power. I only hope there will be another Enterprise.

What a difference between nuclear carriers and the USS Coral Sea, then the Forrestal class which was the first super carrier. I cruised on Coral Sea(43) and Forrestal(59(. Worked in VFA-132 when we performed the deck qualifications on the USS Lincoln(72) I've made detachments on Forrestal, Kennedy, America, Nimitz, Eisenhower. I care not to see a ship named Gerald R Ford, I'd much rather see another Saratoga.
Worth. Every. Cent.

Hacksaw
Senior
Location: Pacific Northwest (specifically, the greater portland oregon metropolitan area)

Post by Hacksaw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Ditto.
Deep thought of the day: "I was adopted. I thank my birth mother every day for not aborting me (although I wouldn't doubt her decision if she did)."

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:31 pm

+1
Let 'er Blow!

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 pm

I care not to see a ship named Gerald R Ford
I agree. Any ship with that name is likely to run aground a lot. I'm surprised the USS Jimmy Carter isn't already resting alongside the Scorpion or the Thresher.
I'd much rather see another Saratoga.
I'm okay with that. The navy is always changing the rules by which it names its carriers. They've been named after battles, our country, SECNAV's, admirals, and recently, Presidents. They might as well name them after battles again.

To summarize, I vote for another Saratoga, the second ship in the new Enterprise class.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:07 pm

My favorite tweet about Earl Scruggs:
Chris Thile (of The Punch Bros. & Nickle Creek)
@christhile
Humor me. Close your eyes and imagine banjo music. What you hear is Earl Scruggs. He invented that. Thank you, Earl.” Amen.

bluetick
All-American

Post by bluetick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Hacksaw wrote:Letting the government take over isn't the answer. And that's what is going on here. Obama has said that is his eventual goal. What he's done to this point has just been an incremental step towards his ultimate goal.

So, yes, I will celebrate his failure.
I don't think a big boot up the insurance carriers ass is the same as government takeover. But if, for example, you think riders, exclusions, and outright denials for pre-existing conditions are good for America, then there's not much room for debate anyway.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Lester Flatt's first cousin was my HS History teacher.
Let 'er Blow!