Moderators: The Talent, Hacksaw, bluetick, puterbac, 10ac

GBJs
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Alabama
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!
Mascot Fight: Bear/Grizzly/Etc

Re: Puterbac News Network and Political Discussion Thread

Post by GBJs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't know if all else is trivial, but that was an excellent read.
Worth. Every. Cent.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College
Preferred Barbecue Style: Tomato!

Post by innocentbystander » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Professor Tiger wrote:I just voted for Santorum and Paul.
That did no good.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

puterbac
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Tennessee

Post by puterbac » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:24 am

Op Ed wrote:Puterbac ranted a few pages back about O'Keefe finding a problem where none existed, but he missed this one...

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/i ... 63881.html

Researchers at the University of Michigan have reported that it took them only a short time to break through the security functions of a pilot project for online voting in Washington, D.C. "Within 48 hours of the system going live, we had gained near complete control of the election server", the researchers wrote in a paperPDF that has now been released. "We successfully changed every vote and revealed almost every secret ballot." The hack was only discovered after about two business days – and most likely only because the intruders left a visible trail on purpose.
Good news. I've never been for Internet voting or machines that also don't keep a paper record of your vote that you verify before hitting done.

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 am

I'm curious what the lawyers think about this.....

George F. Will

Opinion Writer

Obamacare’s contract problem

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

On Monday the Supreme Court begins three days of oral arguments concerning possible — actually, probable and various — constitutional infirmities in Obamacare. The justices have received many amicus briefs, one of which merits special attention because of the elegant scholarship and logic with which it addresses an issue that has not been as central to the debate as it should be.

Hitherto, most attention has been given to whether Congress, under its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce, may coerce individuals into engaging in commerce by buying health insurance. Now the Institute for Justice (IJ), a libertarian public interest law firm, has focused on this fact: The individual mandate is incompatible with centuries of contract law. This is so because a compulsory contract is an oxymoron.
The brief, the primary authors of which are the IJ’s Elizabeth Price Foley and Steve Simpson, says that Obamacare is the first time Congress has used its power to regulate commerce to produce a law “from which there is no escape.” And “coercing commercial transactions” — compelling individuals to sign contracts with insurance companies — “is antithetical to the foundational principle of mutual assent that permeated the common law of contracts at the time of the founding and continues to do so today.”

In 1799, South Carolina’s highest court held: “So cautiously does the law watch over all contracts, that it will not permit any to be binding but such as are made by persons perfectly free, and at full liberty to make or refuse such contracts. . . . Contracts to be binding must not be made under any restraint or fear of their persons, otherwise they are void.” Throughout the life of this nation it has been understood that for a contract to be valid, the parties to it must mutually assent to its terms — without duress.

In addition to duress, contracts are voidable for reasons of fraud upon, or the mistake or incapacity of, a party to the contract. This underscores the centrality of the concept of meaningful consent in contract law. To be meaningful, consent must be informed and must not be coerced. Under Obamacare, the government will compel individuals to enter into contractual relations with insurance companies under threat of penalty.

........more in the link....l

Owlman
Senior
College Hoops Affiliation: Rice

Post by Owlman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:28 pm

ays that Obamacare is the first time Congress has used its power to regulate commerce to produce a law “from which there is no escape.”
Technically, it's not a compulsory contract. What it is is an encouragement to prevent a tax. There is the contracts clause in the Constitution, but it's more about interference with existing contracts (and during the widely criticized Lochner era, about the right of individuals to contract with corporations, used to prevent both the federal and state govts from enacting things such as child labor laws). Not only that, we have for a long time required groups to enter into contracts. The argument in this case is whether the feds can use the power of taxation to force (or encourage depending on what side of the argument you're on) performance by individuals.

The second argument before the court is whether the feds have gone too far with requiring specific regs with regard to receiving federal medicaid funds which increases the cost of medicaid to the states. I'm actually surprised they took this aspect of the case. The argument is that the states have become so use to fed medicaid money that they don't have the choice of saying no to federal money. In other words, we can't say no to federal money so the requirements you've placed on receiving this money are too much.

Much stronger argument with the former than the latter issue, imo.
My Dad is my hero still.

10ac
Senior

Post by 10ac » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm

[youtube]erYpXzE9Pxs[/youtube]
Let 'er Blow!

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Owlman wrote:
ays that Obamacare is the first time Congress has used its power to regulate commerce to produce a law “from which there is no escape.”
Technically, it's not a compulsory contract. What it is is an encouragement to prevent a tax. There is the contracts clause in the Constitution, but it's more about interference with existing contracts (and during the widely criticized Lochner era, about the right of individuals to contract with corporations, used to prevent both the federal and state govts from enacting things such as child labor laws). Not only that, we have for a long time required groups to enter into contracts. The argument in this case is whether the feds can use the power of taxation to force (or encourage depending on what side of the argument you're on) performance by individuals.

The second argument before the court is whether the feds have gone too far with requiring specific regs with regard to receiving federal medicaid funds which increases the cost of medicaid to the states. I'm actually surprised they took this aspect of the case. The argument is that the states have become so use to fed medicaid money that they don't have the choice of saying no to federal money. In other words, we can't say no to federal money so the requirements you've placed on receiving this money are too much.

Much stronger argument with the former than the latter issue, imo.
So facing a tax if you don't isn't coerced or under duress?

Professor Tiger
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Auburn
Mascot Fight: Big Cat/Tiger/Lion/Etc

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:11 pm

The judicial rape of the commerce clause a long time ago made the current blatant government powergrab that is Obamacare inevitable.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
Professor Tiger wrote:I just voted for Santorum and Paul.
That did no good.
I beg to differ. While my vote for Santorum got swallowed up in in the masses, my vote put Ron Paul put him in double digits in my county.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident… by the — you know — you know the thing.” - Democrat Presidential Candidate Joe Biden

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Nothing brings out the true caring compassion of progressives like a Dick Cheney headline.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Jungle Rat
The Pied Piper of Crazy
College Hoops Affiliation: Florida
Mascot Fight: Croc/Gator/Etc

Post by Jungle Rat » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

That guy had a heart?

sardis
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Villanova
Preferred Barbecue Style: Vinegar!

Post by sardis » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Your tax dollars about to be put to work...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/0 ... amble.html

puterbac
Senior

Post by puterbac » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:19 pm

What a dumbass idea....so people are going to drive 85 miles from LA and then pay $100 for a train ticket to ride another 80 minutes when they can get airfares from LAX for $100 or less? Political Boondoggle....

AP Enterprise: Vegas rail: a gamble or good thing?

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/0 ... rylink=cpy

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Railroads absorb billions in taxpayer subsidies yet still provide travel that is slower and more expensive than airplanes.

aTm
Muad'Dib
College Hoops Affiliation: Texas A&M

Post by aTm » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm

How much has the airline industry received in subsidies and infrastructure development? trillions?
Sure, I could have stayed in the past. I could have even been king. But in my own way, I am king.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 pm

That's a good question. How much money does the federal government fork over each year to Airtran or Southwest every year to stave off their bankruptcy? How much does Uncle Sam dole out to bankrupt airlines like Delta and American to get them solvent? I doubt much, if any at all. But I am open to contrary proof.
What a dumbass idea....so people are going to drive 85 miles from LA and then pay $100 for a train ticket to ride another 80 minutes when they can get airfares from LAX for $100 or less?
That arrangement will appeal to wealthy acrophobics with a lot of time on their hands.

innocentbystander
All-American
College Hoops Affiliation: Boston College

Post by innocentbystander » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 am

aTm wrote:How much has the airline industry received in subsidies and infrastructure development? trillions?
Quite a bit, billions (in the single digits), immediately after 9-11, mostly loans to tide them over. But that was a very short lived airline depression, they recovered in months, not years. That said, there isn't exactly a lot of "infrastructure development" in this industry outside of the airports. It isn't like they build super highways in the sky. The subsidy from government (much that it is) is the government keeping the tiny, bullshit, municipal airports open, and government subsidizing the little bullshit regional airlines to fly in and out of them. There are actual lobbiest groups in DC working for Mesa Air Group, SkyWest, Spirit Air, and quite a few others, paying Congress Critters to make sure those subsidy dollars keep rolling in....

Prior to CAB, the major airlines didn't need government money. They had government intervention instead preventing other airlines from competing with each other for the same routes. So airlines had a monopoly on their runs and could charge whatever price they wanted for a route, any price that guaranteed a profit (and half empty planes.) Flying was for the wealthy only. The poor and middle class didn't fly. Ever.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to both stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.

Toemeesleather
Senior

Post by Toemeesleather » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:57 am

Another rant from some right wing Princeton nut case....

Large fluctuations from warm to cold winters have been the rule for the U.S., as one can see from records kept by the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration, NOAA. For example, the winters of 1932 and 1934 were as warm as or warmer than the 2011-2012 one and the winter of 1936 was much colder.

Nightly television pictures of the tragic destruction from tornadoes over the past months might make one wonder if the frequency of tornadoes is increasing, perhaps due to the increasing levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. But as one can read at Andrew Revkin's New York Times blog, dotearth, "There is no evidence of any trend in the number of potent tornadoes (category F2 and up) over the past 50 years in the United States, even as global temperatures have risen markedly."

We need high-quality climate science because of the importance of climate to mankind. But we should also remember the description of how science works by the late, great physicist, Richard Feynman:

"In general we look for a new law by the following process. First we guess it. Then we compute the consequences of the guess to see what would be implied if this law that we guessed is right. Then we compare the result of the computation to nature, with experiment or experience; compare it directly with observation, to see if it works. If it disagrees with experiment it is wrong."

Mr. Happer is a professor of physics at Princeton.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Mr. Happer is a professor of physics at Princeton.
At least he used to be. After uttering such heresy, his key to the faculty lounge at Princeton no longer works.

Professor Tiger
All-American

Post by Professor Tiger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Looks like Obamacare might be hitting a snag with SCOTUS - this according to liberal media:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c1#/vi ... andate.cnn

If I were Obama, I'd bench that feckless solicitor general and replace him with a more eloquent advocate of the individual mandate, like Mitt Romney. He's good at that.